Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2017, 02:31 PM   #1

1989 29' Excella
Ferndale , Washington
Insulated Skirting

What is the best way to attach insulated skirting on our Excella that will not cause permanent damage? Thanks.
Vivian
AnnieOakley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 04:10 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Well, hay bales are one answer

I happen to be a fan of inflatable beach toys (bought on closeout). You inflate them under the RV....

Is this a "mobile" situation or is it a "parked for the winter" situation?

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 06:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Well, hay bales are one answer
Straw bales are a lot cheaper and don't have grain heads which may attract little critters.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:09 AM   #4

2018 30' International
Fort Worth , Texas
We used 1” foam insulation board to skirt our 30” international. I cut the pieces to size leaving them tall enough to trim them once we got set up. It has worked very well in sub freezing temps. We also set up a small ceramic space heater underneath and that has kept the underside of the trailer above freezing. We used 4 sheets of 4x8 insulation board and had a bit left over.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	353C4DC0-107C-463D-804C-D9A89C884FC9.jpg
Views:	509
Size:	421.3 KB
ID:	302194  
bka4tcu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 02:20 PM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieOakley1 View Post
What is the best way to attach insulated skirting on our Excella that will not cause permanent damage? Thanks.
Depends. If you're parked on gravel or soil, don't attach it to the trailer at all— attach it to stakes driven into the ground instead.
Old 01-10-2018, 02:49 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Naperville , Illinois
Cool idea!
1995 & 2004 Gary Fisher Hoo-Koo-e-Koo emergency vehicles
pt.reyesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 02:50 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Naperville , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by bka4tcu View Post
We used 1” foam insulation board to skirt our 30” international. I cut the pieces to size leaving them tall enough to trim them once we got set up. It has worked very well in sub freezing temps. We also set up a small ceramic space heater underneath and that has kept the underside of the trailer above freezing. We used 4 sheets of 4x8 insulation board and had a bit left over.
Cool idea
1995 & 2004 Gary Fisher Hoo-Koo-e-Koo emergency vehicles
pt.reyesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:42 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Fort Lauderdale , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to Vitaver
I went with a similar solution for mine, but the job you did looks muck nicer. The foam boards I found at Home Depot, 2 inches thick, don’t look as cool, especially because I joined them to each other and to the sides of the trailer with that shiny metallic tape used in AC duct work (the only one I tried that sticks below 30F). The RV park ‘requested’ I cover my artistic job with a professionally looking skirt. I obliged with Windskirt, pretty nice looking flexible skirt with pockets for weighting down and I attached them to authoadshesive snaps (no holes needed). A small space heater underneath plugged to city service directly plus a ceramic heat lamp plugged to a thermostatic (I made up the word?) freeze free yellow electric plug, so they backup each other. I placed remote themperature sensors (Accurite) under the coach, outside and inside: I can check the temperature in all three locations while onsite and remotely in my iPad. The bottom inside the foam frame the temp remains a steady 48F. Inside I keep two Vornado ceramic heaters at 71, high setting. Unfortunately all the house outlets work out of the same breaker, so I added another AC outlet on the outer wall of the FC leading to an outlet inside: I plug one of the space heaters to that additional outlet. In Colorado humidity is very low, so I added a humidifier keeping our air at 50% humidity. Yes, there is condensation under some windows, but not too much. I am not using propane other than for cooking, the same 2 tanks for over a month. Clear film on windows. Yes, electricity use is high, last month topped $220. I wonder if AS has plans for better thermal insulation in future models.
Vitaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 07:51 AM   #9

2018 16' Sport
Atlanta , Georgia
Have been trying to travel between hunting sites here in GA during the winter, ie: no furnace while towing and other propane less situations. Have used inside electric heater when 110v is avail. Plumbing still freezes in my Sport16 even when inside is comfortably warm and cabinet doors open. Anyone had success with permanent undercarrige insulation or self temperature control heating tape?
Robert Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 01:01 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Hart View Post
Have been trying to travel between hunting sites here in GA during the winter, ie: no furnace while towing and other propane less situations. Have used inside electric heater when 110v is avail. Plumbing still freezes in my Sport16 even when inside is comfortably warm and cabinet doors open. Anyone had success with permanent undercarrige insulation or self temperature control heating tape?
Welcome to the forum, Robert! I think you will find that Airstreams are really designed to be a 3-season RV, with a time-out for winter. This Winter Living forum is full of hit-and-miss success stories about Mickey Mouse solutions -- and many more failure stories IMO.

There is a brand of trailer which is specifically designed for winter use:

http://northwoodmfg.com/arctic-fox-2/classic/

. . . and a search for Northwoods Arctic Fox yields these Airforums results, using the new search box above with the blue border:

https://www.google.com/search?q=nort...=airforums.com

We think of our AS as an aluminum tent to be used dry in the winter.

Good luck!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 07:13 AM   #11
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Once upon a time, long long ago, we did a removable skirt. It was not at all cheap. I think it got deployed maybe twice. Putting it up and taking it down was even worse than playing with a tent under similar conditions. If it freezes to the ground (and it may) packing it up ... yikes ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 09:01 AM   #12

2018 16' Sport
Atlanta , Georgia
There's no plumbing problem an engineer can't fix (not). Will let you know if I do. P.S. I got a less than helpful reply from AS about inexpensive dent repairs (my second post as a newbie blogger).
Robert Hart is offline   Reply With Quote

« Heat. | Top | Winter usage »