Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Winter Living
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-12-2016, 07:14 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Insulated fantastic vent dome

Has anyone got any experience of the fantastic vent replacement double panes dome?

I am getting 2 installed in the hope it reduces condensation in cold temps and reduces slightly heat loss..

Smoke Opaque Insulated Replacement Double Dome - Fan-Tastic Vent K2020-19 - Vents - Camping World
Old 01-12-2016, 09:02 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
The Beautiful Mountains Of Southwest , Virginia
Good investment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsmblue View Post
Has anyone got any experience of the fantastic vent replacement double panes dome?

I am getting 2 installed in the hope it reduces condensation in cold temps and reduces slightly heat loss..

Smoke Opaque Insulated Replacement Double Dome - Fan-Tastic Vent K2020-19 - Vents - Camping World
I have had three that I keep changing out on my last three travel trailers. I always keep the originals and put them back on when I trade trailers and keep my insulated Fan-Tastic covers for my new trailer. I love them for several different reasons. 1. They are twice as strong, in the event of a falling tree limb or hail storm. 2. They are darker than a single pane, thus reducing the suns brightness. 3. They do help in keeping some of the heat out. 4. They also help in keeping the heat in. 5. They also help in keeping the noise down, from rain or whatever. I have never experienced any condensation whatsoever. IMHO these are money well spent! Forget those silly pillows. My new Classic only has one vent, so I have two more in the basement awaiting my next trade? They operate much like a double pane window, which I wish AS offered as an option. My first project in the spring, when my Classic comes out of storage is to install two new dark tinted triple pane Maxum sky lights.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Thanks Duke, you are have re-affirmed my suspicions. It seems daft that they are not supplied as standard!

I will be using my AS in the snow for a few more weekends this winter so I hope to write a decent review/comparison.

Now I need to work on an insulating solution for the windows in the bedroom!
Old 01-12-2016, 09:35 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
The Beautiful Mountains Of Southwest , Virginia
Not Standard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsmblue View Post
Thanks Duke, you are have re-affirmed my suspicions. It seems daft that they are not supplied as standard!

I will be using my AS in the snow for a few more weekends this winter so I hope to write a decent review/comparison.

Now I need to work on an insulating solution for the windows in the bedroom!
Your exactly right. None of the eight different RV's that I have owned has ever had them as standard equipment. That is why I keep hanging on to the three that I received from Fantastic. I had the three rear windows in my Classic tinted as soon as we received it in August, before we headed out west for a month and boy was I glad. It really helped with the sun and the heat! We didn't camp after Thanksgiving, which was cool at night and we used our heat pumps. We don't camp in the winter cold so that is not really a problem for us. If AS would offer thermal pane glass as a option, that would really help with the hot and cold issues. I have owned two RV's with them and they basically offer the same benefits as the one's in you home do. I for one would gladly pay extra for them if they were offered. The only downside is that they do add some weight, although not a significant amount. You can get them as a option on trailers that cost 1/3 of an AS. Makes no sense to me? Offer them as a option, then if you don't want them you don't have to have them. Just my "two dollars" worth. Yeah, I know, but my opinions are worth more.
Old 01-12-2016, 10:19 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
We were up in whistler BC during the xmas break. It got down to 14F. We were fine, but some basic issues came up. The vent covers were one big deal. Number 2 was the window above our heads in our bed (2015 25ft fc rb). You could feel the heat vanishing from the pillows! The third big deal was the furnace pumping heat into the dinette more then the bedroom ( I am testing a solution for this!)..
Old 01-13-2016, 03:55 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
How hard is it to replace the vent lid with one of these?
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 07:53 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaLevel View Post
How hard is it to replace the vent lid with one of these?
It looks easy, but my AS is still under warranty I am having the dealer do it..
Old 01-13-2016, 08:10 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Another item to add to my list. Didn't know there was this option.

Thanks

Kelvin
Old 01-13-2016, 10:22 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Renton , Washington
I will have to add them to my AS. We were at Crystal Mt over the New Year and nearly froze in the single digit temperatures. The furnace ran all night and the thermometer never got off the peg. Where do you camp at Whistler?
hauckd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 10:45 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by hauckd View Post
I will have to add them to my AS. We were at Crystal Mt over the New Year and nearly froze in the single digit temperatures. The furnace ran all night and the thermometer never got off the peg. Where do you camp at Whistler?
We were at the Whistler RV campground. It was an interesting place. Great views. But I will not go there again. I prefer the campground on the north side of whistler, I think it is riverside RV park or something.

What killed it for us is the ridiculous access road getting in. Stupid grade, narrow, twisty, icy..... Now warning about it... Honestly, that last 0.5miles was the most ridiculous thing I have ever driven when towing. i had to put chains on, stick the truck in 4-low. the dash lit up and the beeps went.... ugh....

I really want to camp at Crystal, we will be there in the spring for sure!
Old 01-13-2016, 08:47 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Sacramento , California
We were at Riverside last summer. Beautiful, about as perfect as you could ask. Great people & facilities from sites to laundry. Easy biking to town. Would go back in a heartbeat.
lindaebrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 09:15 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindaebrewer View Post
We were at Riverside last summer. Beautiful, about as perfect as you could ask. Great people & facilities from sites to laundry. Easy biking to town. Would go back in a heartbeat.
I was there in Jan 2007. I should have gone there this time too...