Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2013, 11:47 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Minden , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
Airstream claims their trailers are the best insulated RV trailer on the road. Impervious to water, varmints, etc.

Airstream - Building Dreams Is Our Business - Part 2 - YouTube

Dave
That is so funny! My AS is miserably insulated with about 3/4" of surplus pink fiberglass matt that was glued to the walls to facilitate production, not to aid in owner comfort.

When I tell people of my AS leaking cold air from the walls they look at me like I had the plague or was cursing the Pope.

To keep my brain from freezing, I have a sheet of Reflectix stuffed between the head of the bed and my head. The Reflectix is 7 times warmer than the aluminum that's 1/4" away. Amazing stuff, but because Thor doesn't own it, they don't use, or so I think.

Airstreams being super insulated only happens when an owner does it themselves.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:26 AM   #42
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
san antonio , Texas
Following..
sandmanxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:29 PM   #43
2 Rivet Member

Columbus , Ohio
Seems to me that aluminum is a soft metal. That after time the body panels will develope gaps that will eventually leak and let in cold air and start to leak.

Probably if you bought a new AS and moved it one time onto a permanent RV lot. Then did not move it would last 75 years maybe more. But towing anything will cause things to loosen up. It is just the way things work.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:37 PM   #44
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
Mount Vernon , Is For Lovers
Welcome to the Forums ! Great 1st post and those pics are worth a thousand words to anyone contemplating insulation upgrades.
Sylver Slypr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:28 PM   #45
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Green Cove Springs , Florida
I heat a 6 by 16 greenhouse that is aluminum and plex in the winter to 80 degrees easly with a old fashion electric oil filled heater. Looks like the old steam heater coils. Has anyone who is plugged in try one of these?
beetlebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:36 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by beetlebob View Post
I heat a 6 by 16 greenhouse that is aluminum and plex in the winter to 80 degrees easly with a old fashion electric oil filled heater. Looks like the old steam heater coils. Has anyone who is plugged in try one of these?
Hi, this is what we use.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	333RS.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	255.8 KB
ID:	186804  
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:19 PM   #47
bilby05

1962 24' Tradewind
1962 24' Tradewind
Canyon , Texas
We use the oil filled, like you describe, in our 31' Sovereign. Works for us. But we usually don't go if it is going to get below about 40 degrees outside. I hate propane in an enclosed space. Especially if you bounce it up and down the road for forty years and then use it while you sleep.
Cheers bill b.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:00 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
The effect of the already meager insulation is further damaged by the aluminum channels. See this article for details.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:34 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
For the Street Rod community, a product called Lizard Skin is available. One type is for sound deadening and another is for insulation. Both are a spray in material and they can be used together. They are sprayed on just a couple of mils thickness and have been proven very effective to deaden road noise and insulate the interior of vehicles. Might be worth looking into for your AS.
http://m.lizardskin.com
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 08:42 PM   #50
1 Rivet Member

ed , Alberta
unfortunately... Airstreams have a major design flaw. And ironically its what most of us love about them and what really sets them apart from the herd. That is they are basically constructed using two of the worst insulating materials on the planet. Metal...and glass. And there you have the primary reason its hard to get any decent R numbers from them.
Gcragg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 04:28 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Williamson County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild-Air View Post
…………………...

To keep my brain from freezing, I have a sheet of Reflectix stuffed between the head of the bed and my head. The Reflectix is 7 times warmer than the aluminum that's 1/4" away. Amazing stuff, but because Thor doesn't own it, they don't use, or so I think.

Airstreams being super insulated only happens when an owner does it themselves.
Thanks for the Reflectix recommendation, just ordered. I also have found that our FB area can be chilly even with the cloth panels we have up around the bed area, the walls really suck the warmth away.

I think it is worthy of mention that 4 season "tiny houses" (without furniture) typically weigh at least twice as much as typical travel trailers for similar square footage. That is why you will see even twenty foot tiny houses with 3 axles.
SYC2Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 04:39 PM   #52
1 Rivet Member

ed , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphonse View Post
confirming responses above - not insulated well at all but we are all ok with it.
Hummm? Well... we live one Canada and... I don’t think I’m ok with it. Lol
Old 01-05-2020, 04:43 PM   #53
1 Rivet Member

ed , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphonse View Post
confirming responses above - not insulated well at all but we are all ok with it.
Hummm? Well... we live in Canada and ... I’m certainly not ok with it. Lol