Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Winter Living
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-17-2010, 11:59 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Excella 500
undetermined , Washington
How to insulate ceiling vents?

It seems like these probably leak a bit of air, but I cant figure out how to insulate them because of the lights. If you stuff something up there the little bulbs get so hot that it seems like it'd be pretty dangerous, putting something on the outside would be difficult and then the lights wouldn't work anyway. Suggestions? I'm also thinking I should stuff something up into the A/C, which went kaput this summer.
MonaxLisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 03:00 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
If you mean the ones that have the rubber liners going round their perimeter, I have been searching where to get the rubber lining--looks like it fits or slides onto the sides of each vent cover.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:45 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawkerII View Post
If you mean the ones that have the rubber liners going round their perimeter, I have been searching where to get the rubber lining--looks like it fits or slides onto the sides of each vent cover.
The rubber vent cover gasket has been gone for years.

The open cell gray foam gasket has been used now for many years and does a good job. When it's compressed the open cell seal themselves.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:22 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
We have skylights in our Airsteam, and it came with little form fitting "blankets", for lack of a better name, that you can push up into the opening to keep some of the heat out/in in extreem temps. They are thin aluminum foil cover looking things that could be easily fabricated to fit in other top vents, given you could find the material. I've also seen this type of material used in insulating cars. Just maybe an idea.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:30 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonaxLisa View Post
It seems like these probably leak a bit of air, but I cant figure out how to insulate them because of the lights. If you stuff something up there the little bulbs get so hot that it seems like it'd be pretty dangerous, putting something on the outside would be difficult and then the lights wouldn't work anyway. Suggestions? I'm also thinking I should stuff something up into the A/C, which went kaput this summer.
Fiberglass insulation above the light fixture grill would work.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 03:49 PM   #6
tarheelbornbred

2010 28' International
1972 29' Ambassador
Hot Springs , North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to tarheel1972
I bought a "quilted" automobile windshield shade. 2 sided mylar with a bubble layer in between, about 1/4" thick. I trimmed it to the size of the vent and sandwiched it between the lens and the vent. Works well, not worried about heat because I only will use it while it is cold. 19 degrees tonight in Stone Mountain , Ga.
tarheel1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:20 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Excella 500
undetermined , Washington
I discovered that a plastic envelope, the bubble wrap kind, work great! It's the second size up from the smallest I think. I had one that was used so instead of tossing it I put it up behind the screen that separates the fan from the light cover and it works perfect!
MonaxLisa is offline   Reply With Quote