Old 02-02-2014, 07:55 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member
2012 25' FB International
Evanston , Illinois
Our snow melted some, the wind blew some off the top, it snowed again and the winds howled. I've checked everything inside and there seems to be no problems. .

And, School's Out, I don't know if there WILL be a warm up in the Chicago area. We have been hammered this winter. Spring seems so far away.......

Caryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:04 AM   #30
1972 Travelux Princess 25
Cobourg , Ontario
If you get a mild day put the heat on first thing in the morning and let it warm up. Later in the day with the sun out the snow should break up and push or sweep off easily.

Living in the trailer park of sense, looking out the window at a tornado of stupidity.
Ganaraska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:19 AM   #31
Len and Jeanne
2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Hope your roof caulking is in good shape for when it all melts....
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 02:04 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
I'd be more concerned about breaking or scratching something when removing the snow than I would about the snow doing damage.[/QUOTE]
Usually there'll be a hard pack of icy on the bottom that should prevent you from getting down to the aluminininium, leave most of that on.
I admit to being powerless over housecleaning and social niceities
Airforums 22655 and now, WBCCI 22655

NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:02 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member
2013 27' FB Classic
North Wales , Pennsylvania
I always remove the snow within a week of the snow.
Tom & Lori

2013 27 FB Classic Limited
2016 Nissan XD Turbo Diesel
WBCCI 03288 TAC PA-17
tkowalyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:11 PM   #34
1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
My AS has sat outside for the 12 winters that I have owned it.
I am sure it has had more like 3' of snow on it at times.
It hasn't hurt it a bit.
Ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 12:08 AM   #35
1 Rivet Member
1969 29' Ambassador
athol , Idaho
Cleaning snow off aluminum trailers

It's the end of July 2014 and I am just now reading this thread.
I have done winters in my Silver Streak here in North Idaho since 1998.
What I have done is put good quality silver tarps over my trailer a few years. Some years I have done nothing. The least trouble is to take black plastic sheeting and hold it down with some weights. I also used cold weathe tape, but it doesn't hold up in the wind or if it gets wet.
The plastic sheeting is slippery as all hell, so don't ever walk on it or you will go down hard. It also lets the snow slip off easily and keeps the roof from leaking if there are any places water can get in.

I always have a good quality push broom in my truck and one for the house. I use it to scrape the snow off with the non-brush side and drag the snow off. Be careful of pounding the broom brush too hard or it will break where the handle screws in to the brush. That's why I say get a good quality broom. But even those will break if you pound them too hard.

When I had a deluxe fifth wheel 42 feet long back in 2008 to 2010, the snow piled up about two feet and kept packing down between snows, so it was a hunk of ice with snow on top. I came in from using my walk behind snowblower and was wearing only my undershorts under my quilted Carharts and snow boots. I came in and took off the Carharts as I was sitting on the bed in the bedroom in the overhang front of the fifth wheel.
I was sitting on the bed in my underwear and Sorel snow boots when the whole trailer crashed to the ground when the front jack supports broke loose from the weight. It was quite a shock and I'm still surprised that every mirror in the bedroom didn't break as I had mirrored glass sliding doors on the closet and a giant mirror over the bed headboard.
It turns out that the pins that keep the front jacks couldn't hold the weight and were pretty short and ripped loose.
It took a back hoe to lift the trailer up and block it up until I could get the jacks replaces.
So the lesson is...snow that has packed down get VERY HEAVY. So if you have your non-fifth wheel trailers jack up to take the weight off the tires, you could have a problem.
I have had loads of snow on my Silver Streak and had the melted snow freeze in giant slabs of ice on the sides such that if you broke them off and they hit you it could hurt a lot.
The fifth wheel developed giant icicles hanging like giant stalactites from the front corners that were almost four feet long and six inches thick that you could have killed a moose with.
As for using the broom to remove snow off your trailer or trucks with a topper, just stand on a step ladder or something safe and hit the back of the broom about midway on the roof and pull back and a good bit of snow will come off. I don't worry about scratching my trailer or truck. Never had a problem. When there is ice crust I just leave it along as it will melt off.
I use my electric leaf blower to DRY my truck and Harley after washing them. It eliminates the black drip streaks and you won't even have to use a chamois on your windows. I use my leaf blower for everything including blowing the dirt out of the inside of my truck. Much easier than vacuuming. Just make sure your loose papers are picked up first.

Hope these tips help. I have no problems with snow at all. In fact, some snow on the roof tends to insulate the trailer against losing too much heat out the roof, I think.
CEDRICWARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 05:09 AM   #36
Rivet Master
1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Originally Posted by CEDRICWARD View Post
It turns out that the pins that keep the front jacks couldn't hold the weight and were pretty short and ripped loose.
This is interesting: It wasn't the top of the camper that failed, but the jacks!
1995 Airstream Classic 30' Excella 1000
2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab with Cummins 6.7L Diesel

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:35 AM   #37
Rivet Master
1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Snow is not always our friend
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chris.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	330.0 KB
ID:	217915  
Doug & Terry
60 Ambassador Int.
98 Safari
56 Flying Cloud
68 Tradewind
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:41 AM   #38
2 Rivet Member
Charlotte , North Carolina
that's coincidence. i just found this. Tip: Remove snow from your car in the winter | Fuelly
lisaslists20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:33 AM   #39
3 Rivet Member
2012 25' FB International
Evanston , Illinois
How fun that this thread pops up now! I was really anxious about the Airstream when I started this thread. Actually the Airstream came through the winter just fine. However, the house roof built up the worst ice dams we have ever had. Now we have some major expense with the house roof. But the Airstream--just sitting out there smiling away. I was thinking about the wrong roof!

All the best,
Caryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:29 AM   #40
1 Rivet Member
1969 29' Ambassador
athol , Idaho
Just wanted to be clear...the pins that failed weren't the pins that are used to secure the legs after extending them, it was the tiny pins near the electric motors that keep the legs from being able to fall into the main jack leg tube. I forget what it looks like...have some pics in some back up files somewhere, but when it let go, it gashed the steel box that my propane tanks were in.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:35 AM   #41
1 Rivet Member
1969 29' Ambassador
athol , Idaho
I once left the snow on my truck topper and drove 25 miles to town. It melted enough that when I came to the first stop light all the snow came crashing down over my windshield. They give tickets for having snow on your car for that reason. It sounded like everything in my truck bed was moving forward and going to come through the truck. It's dangerous as you can't see after it's on your front window and your wipers may not be able to clear it quick enough to avoid an accident. It really shocked me when it happened. I heard all this noise coming from the back of my truck then all of a sudden and avalanche of snow and water covered my windshield. Learning through experience.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:44 AM   #42
1 Rivet Member
1969 29' Ambassador
athol , Idaho
I went to the thread this pic came from. What a sad thing to happen after all the restoration work he did. I haven't finished reading the entire thread yet. I've done some interior restoration on my Silver Streak when I took off the front room paneling to re-insulate. That was plenty of work for me, especially while living in the trailer while doing it. My underside skin had rotted out in the rear and needs to be repaired as it got damages when I pulled the trailer into a large hole in a campground years ago and damaged the skin and the brace that the dump tank attaches to and put a crack in the tank. It's all rusty down there and very hard to work on due to very limited clearance between ground and trailer bottom. I can't imagine what Chris has done with his damaged Airstream. I know winter was very bad everywhere, but that is a strange failure of the roof on his restored trailer, especially as he didn't seem to have done anything to his main body. His repairs were on his frame and floor. It seems wise to clear snow when winter gets severe. It's not even safe to park your stuff under a less than safe shelter that could also collapse and damage whatever is under it. Thanks for the pic.
Cedric Ward
Athol, ID