Old 08-23-2011, 09:27 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Manchester , New Hampshire
How long will lp tank last?

Hey folks,

Thinking of leaving AS up in north country using it as camp for when I want to go snowmobiling. I have a new furnace and all pex plumbing I have all vents hooked up to ducting to fresh water and grey and black tank. Just a few questions about heating

1) How long would two 40lbs lp tanks last to keep trailer at 60 degrees Fahrenheit? 31foot soveriegn
(if I were to insulate windows cover roof,block vents cover door with blanket)
2) Do they make a automatic tank regulator for if one runs low it will switch tank's?
3) Would It be safe to leave any fluid in grey,fresh,black tank?
4) Has anyone in forums made a step by step prep for winter living?
5) Would a digital home thermostat work in trailer?
6) Skirting and heating underneath how to?

Thanks Mrcrowley

2004 Nissan Titan with BT package
K/N Cool intake air
Duel power exhaust
Mrcrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:38 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrcrowley View Post
Hey folks,

Thinking of leaving AS up in north country using it as camp for when I want to go snowmobiling. I have a new furnace and all pex plumbing I have all vents hooked up to ducting to fresh water and grey and black tank. Just a few questions about heating

1) How long would two 40lbs lp tanks last to keep trailer at 60 degrees Fahrenheit? 31foot soveriegn
(if I were to insulate windows cover roof,block vents cover door with blanket)
2) Do they make a automatic tank regulator for if one runs low it will switch tank's?
3) Would It be safe to leave any fluid in grey,fresh,black tank?
4) Has anyone in forums made a step by step prep for winter living?
5) Would a digital home thermostat work in trailer?
6) Skirting and heating underneath how to?

Thanks Mrcrowley
Ball park, one gallon of LPG will fuel the furnace for 3 hours of run time.

The outside temperature has a huge effect on the furnace run time.

Andy

Old 08-23-2011, 09:45 AM   #3
x

XXXX , XXXX
Hello I believe I can answer your questions as I full timed in my trailer up here for 7 yrs.
1) Depends on outdoor temps. When I was in the coldest part of winter 2 tanks lasted 4 days, that would be with temps around -10 F to -20F.
2) Yes your trailer should already have such a regulator.
3)No not if the trailer is left unattended for any length of time
4) Nothing formal but here is what I did.
a) line heat & pipe wrap on the fresh water line and sewer hose.
b) Skirting made from 2ft x 8ft rigid styrofoam insulation with a layer of bubble wrap on top as a second layer of insulation foil taped to the bottom edge of the trailer.
c) 2 space heaters running, one in the bedroom and the other in the living room to augument the furnace.
d) 2 150 watt halogen work lamps under the trailer inside the skirting to further assist in keeping the trailer warm and help keep the tanks from freezing
5) I have no idea
6) as expliained in 4b
Old 08-31-2011, 12:15 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Boerne , Texas
In Texas last Feb we had a week of cold where the temp was just below freezing, the #30 tank lasted only a few days keeping the trailer at 50F. I also augmented this with a ceramic heater when burning through the second tank. Since you will be remote that is not an option. This year we'll be full timing and getting the whole experience!

Thanks for skirting suggestions.
texascanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 04:39 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Winter Caamping

I used to park my Airstream at a campground in West Virginia to stay at when I went skiing to Snowshoe Resort. I dry camped, no water, and only heated it when I used the trailer. This worked reasonable well and this is what I would recommend for you. The furnace heated the trailer reasonably well, but I also used an oil filled electric heater right next to the bed. When I first got to the trailer, the first item I would turn on would be the electric blanket- even after the air heats up the bedding is freezing. I would use the facilities outdoors and just take a sponge bath inside. Cooking was not a real problem- just had to carry the water with me, dispose of waste water out doors and use paper plates. I really liked the challenge. Keeping the beer cold was easy. I always planned on covering the windows and vents, but I never did because I never spent much time there and I just did not feel the need. Hope this helps.

Dan