Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2019, 02:28 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Bend , Oregon
Can I just echo the previous comment about the 'comfort-factor' of a fresh air inlet? The amount of air that is required for combusion, even in a small stove, is enormous. Every cubic inch that goes up and out the chimney is replaced by frigid air creeping in through the thousands of openings in the AS. You very well make your bed, tanks, etc. colder than if you didn't have the fire going!

Even if you do choose this rather cumbersome and, IMO, ill-suited method of heat, do NOT do the disservice to yourself of skipping a dedicated fresh air inlet that is ducted directly into the firebox.
doughpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 02:31 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Where do you plan to store your wood supply?
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 06:37 AM   #23
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Foster View Post
Where do you plan to store your wood supply?
Hi

If they are camping in various parts of the west, no problem with fuel supply. There is a *lot* of deadfall all over the place in many areas. As they clear this or that road / trail / site, piles and piles of "free" wood get stacked up. You still have to chop it into usable pieces and split it. I got to the point heating the house that the power splitter was very much my friend......

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 08:26 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Kansas City , Kansas
I dont have a fresh air inlet and I have a Dickenson which is smaller than the cubic mini. Our trailer is very well sealed up. We crack the vents and the front window. We're good in T shirts down to about 26 degrees and a plastic Home Depot tub (the ones with the yellow lids) full of split wood lasts us almost two weeks.
Shermy1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 08:35 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Kansas City , Kansas
I guess it should also be pointed out. The original post is asking about making a hole in the roof. I'm not sure why all the "I think it's a stupid idea" posts keep popping up. The stove isn't going in your Airsteam.
Shermy1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 10:45 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Bend , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shermy1987 View Post
I dont have a fresh air inlet and I have a Dickenson which is smaller than the cubic mini. Our trailer is very well sealed up. We crack the vents and the front window. We're good in T shirts down to about 26 degrees and a plastic Home Depot tub (the ones with the yellow lids) full of split wood lasts us almost two weeks.
I would imagine that the closer you can locate your wood stove to a window, the better. A window is just a fresh air vent, but one that isn't directly connected to the stove. Obviously a stove that pulled in cold outside air to combust it would be ideal, but a window several inches away would be pretty good, I suppose. But if there are a lot of cracks 'behind' your bed and you really get a strong fire going, that air is going to be pulled across you as you sleep!

Neat to hear people are doing it successfully. I'm sure its possible, and can probably be optimized for not a lot of extra time/money/hassle.

I want to see someone do a rocket mass heater in an Airstream
Old 12-10-2019, 10:46 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Bend , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shermy1987 View Post
I guess it should also be pointed out. The original post is asking about making a hole in the roof. I'm not sure why all the "I think it's a stupid idea" posts keep popping up. The stove isn't going in your Airsteam.
Fair enough!

By the way, a $37 boroscope from Amazon is an awesome tool to have. That way you can do your best to "guess" where you want to put your hole, then just drill a 3/8" "test hole", stick your camera in there and have a look around before you really commit.

I use mine frequently in various remodeling projects....hard to imagine life without one now!