Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2015, 01:04 PM   #1
The original Snailer

1966 24' Tradewind
Granville Centre , Nova Scotia
Help...first Florida trip...overwhelmed

Hello folks, me my wife and our 6 year old or planning a trip to florida around mid January for about a month. We have a 1966 tradewind. Looking to be able to reach Websters flea market in about an hour. Friends stayed in Zepher hills, but we were hoping to be closer to beaches for morning walks & some metal detecting. Any campgrounds that can be recommended would be very appreciated. We have not been there yet and the internet is overwhelming. Thanks in advance
Snailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 01:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
It may be a little late for the State parks in Fl. as they tend to fill up early.

I am sure you could get into Travelers Rest, the Airstream Park, as I just made my reservations last week. About a 1/2 hours from Websters.

Cedar Key is a very different area and Sunset Isle campground is in keeping with the area.

My favorite beach is St George Island SP just south of Apalachicola. 8 miles of State Park beach and removed from civilization. No problem during the week but the weekends may be filled

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 01:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
What Howie said, good advice.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 05:19 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
State parks are full, unless you're lucky enough to find a cancellation. That's really not very likely. Zephyrhills' population in summer is like 30,000, double that in winter. Avoid the main street through town, it's bumper to bumper traffic. There are side streets that will get you through it faster.

We stayed in Zephyrhills and a couple of state parks. Zephyrhills is a nice small town, with commercial places to stay. Check out the site for Carefree Resorts. It's mostly full time residents but it's very quiet. There are restrictions, like age (55) or minimum stay (2-3 months). We stayed at Settler's Rest. It's age restricted but no minimum stay. It's on the south side of Zephyrhills so little traffic down to I-75 or back.

It's also close to Hillsborough River state park, which is very nice. It's also not too bad a trip to Disney, Lakeland or Tampa. There's a Camping World not too far away. You might be lucky to find a space for a day or two in the park. You can check with the Ranger station at the entrance.

We went to Indian Rock beach several times. Parking is a problem but spaces can be found, some are free but there are pay lots too. It's a bit of a drive but if you go to the beach for several hours and then find a nice place for dinner or a show, you can easily spend a day there.

Lots of retirees in Zephyrhills. Be prepared for the questions 3:
Is this your first time?
Where are you from?
Where are you staying?

Everyone seems to be very nice, very friendly, except behind the wheel of their car.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 07:02 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Your only hope is to work the phones calling campgrounds as this is high season in Florida, we get a few million tourists here in the first quarter of the year, your best chance for what you want is a cancellation. Don't loose faith but be realistic.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 07:57 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Salt Springs Campground, run by a concessionaire for the Forest Service in Ocala National Forest, always has some "first come - first served" sites.

Jonathan Dickinson State Park in Hobe Sound sometimes has sites when all else is full.

Phipps Park, in Martin County is available regularly. Well located but not a great campground. The price is okay.

Forget the Keys unless you are willing to spend big bucks.

Good luck,

Mike
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 08:29 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
The area you plan to visit the flea market is somewhat central. The beaches in that area I am not familiar with -are you able to venture away from Bushnell area? If so, I would highly recommend to venture south of Tampa for some nice beach area. The Gulf beaches are white sand and still water (warmer this time of year than the Atlantic). Sarasota is beautiful as beaches go. One of my fave beaches is Nokomis beach. Like shark teeth? Go to Venice beach. It all depends on if you can move away from Bushnell (Webster) area. It is about 2 hours from Sarasota. If you are up for a tight squeeze RV parking, I know of a few places to camp ON the beach!
Old 12-28-2015, 04:52 AM   #8
The original Snailer

1966 24' Tradewind
Thank you everyone, very helpful. This gives me a great start to follow up on. Last time I was there was 41 years ago, a twelve year old in the back of the family wagon.
Old 12-28-2015, 05:03 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Just my thought

I like St Augustine, and Anastasia State park is very reasonable. But, as noted, it may be sold out..... The nice things about St Augustine is the historical aspect is phenomenal.....and of course the scenery is beautiful. There are a couple other RV Parks, quite acceptable in the past, but one needs to check out current reviews as things do change.

And, Nove Scotia is a beautiful spot for those of us who have ridden motorcycles up there...about ten years ago...LOL. But, this is a very significant pull all the way to Florida. If you do not need the very warm weather, the Carolinas' coastal regions and Outer Banks have a lot to offer. Much closer.
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 05:23 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Travelers Rest Resort. Check the website.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 05:24 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Manatee springs state park, O'leno state park, several cg around Ocala near the interstate and Webster.
Old 12-28-2015, 06:49 AM   #12
The original Snailer

1966 24' Tradewind
I am really enjoying the great tips I am getting here. I should also mention that the old snailers air conditioning isn't working yet and the old girl is a work in progress so we may stand out like a sore thumb in some of the upper crust parks, also my son is 6 and fancies himself as a showboat so a family friendly park would be great. I certainly dont mind the drive distance but not a big fan of traffic.I was thinking the rates are much better for a 1 month stay instead of two places for a couple weeks each. How much is the average electric charge for a one month? or does it work out about the same as the week rates with electric included.
Old 12-28-2015, 07:00 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
There are a couple of county parks and private that are on the west coast, and then about a 30 min drive to Webster. Chass is about 5 miles from my house. The campground is on a spring feed river, and it has full hookups and a play ground. check them out.

Beaches are fairly close. South is Hernando Beach and there is one North in Crystal River.

http://www.chassahowitzkaflorida.com
Old 12-28-2015, 09:06 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Contact Sertoma youth ranch near Brooksville. Tell them your situation.
Old 12-28-2015, 04:10 PM   #15
The original Snailer

1966 24' Tradewind
So far, Chas, Cody Rv, Cedar keys & thousand Palms are on the list, Tried a couple state parks no luck. Thanks for all the beach tips, we will travel to most if not all mentioned on here once we get a home base. Thanks again for all the help folks
Old 12-28-2015, 04:35 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
If you are carrying a Smart Phone get the Allstays app. It is a very complete listing of campgrounds and will have most of the "city" and "county" parks listed. They tend to be overlooked by the snowbirds.

Campground show on a map and phone numbers are listed so you can look at an area and call ahead.

Ther are about 25 different filters you can set that will show up on the map. Wal Mart, Flying J, Army Corp, rest stops by direction of travel, ect.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 05:08 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Here is another that might fit your requirements.

http://www.manateervparks.com/sites.htm
Old 12-28-2015, 05:38 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snailer View Post
florida around mid January for about a month. Websters flea market in about an hour.
closer to beaches for morning walks & some metal detecting.
Mid January normally would be cold on the beaches, few on the west coast of Florida, more along the east coast.

An hour on florida roads will be about 50 miles if you don't have to go through a city(Orlando comes to mind. could take an hour to cross)

Prices and availability definitely change when near water or disney. State Parks on ReserveAmerica will show full, with a few days in the middle of the week. Best would be the Sertoma mentioned or Brooksville.

Being from NS you will probably find it too warm to not have A/C
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 06:04 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
As I recall, the Webster Flea Market is only open on Mondays.

Why not arrange to book in Sunday night at an RV park at nearby Bushnell, visit the Flea market Monday, stay again at the same RV park Monday night, (You'll spend all day at the flea market!) then move on to another RV park nearer to the coast.

We've been to Webster a couple of times and did it that way each time.

A spot on the gulf coast we have often enjoyed is the "Royal Coachman" (Coachmen maybe?!) at Nokomis, close to great beaches, and to Venice, which is a great smaller city without too much traffic. The park isn't inexpensive though

On the Atlantic coast, we have often stopped at Melbourne at the Land Yacht Harbor Aistream Park - and will do so again this year for part of our Florida stay.

Not a lot of amenities at Land Yacht Harbor, but very quiet and tidy, and the price is right!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 10:57 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Contact Sertoma youth ranch near Brooksville. Tell them your situation.

I went to a music festival here in November and had a great time. I am sure they would have sites available.

For a great beach go to Pine Island Park just west of week I wachi. No camping but just $5 to stay all day and it has everything- covered picnic tables, playground, volleyball court, cafe, shallow swimming. This is the real Florida.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote