Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2015, 06:00 AM   #21
The original Snailer

1966 24' Tradewind
Granville Centre , Nova Scotia
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFL View Post
Mid January normally would be cold on the beaches, few on the west coast of Florida, more along the east coast.

An hour on florida roads will be about 50 miles if you don't have to go through a city(Orlando comes to mind. could take an hour to cross)

Prices and availability definitely change when near water or disney. State Parks on ReserveAmerica will show full, with a few days in the middle of the week. Best would be the Sertoma mentioned or Brooksville.

Being from NS you will probably find it too warm to not have A/C
That was my thought too
Another reason we are looking in the top half of the state, Nights should be fine for sleeping and we are not beach bums, laying around and stuff. But we do like to walk and investigate finds on the beach and maybe some metal detecting. I am happy in a sweatshirt with some sunshine
Snailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 06:06 AM   #22
The original Snailer

1966 24' Tradewind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
As I recall, the Webster Flea Market is only open on Mondays.

Why not arrange to book in Sunday night at an RV park at nearby Bushnell, visit the Flea market Monday, stay again at the same RV park Monday night, (You'll spend all day at the flea market!) then move on to another RV park nearer to the coast.

We've been to Webster a couple of times and did it that way each time.

A spot on the gulf coast we have often enjoyed is the "Royal Coachman" (Coachmen maybe?!) at Nokomis, close to great beaches, and to Venice, which is a great smaller city without too much traffic. The park isn't inexpensive though.
On the Atlantic coast, we have often stopped at Melbourne at the Land Yacht Harbor Aistream Park - and will do so again this year for part of our Florida stay.

Not a lot of amenities at Land Yacht Harbor, but very quiet and tidy, and the price is right!

Brian.
This brings up a good question that I know you guys can help me with. I was under the impression that if I tried to move around I could find myself without a place to stay?, having never been there as an adult I have no idea what to expect. Also when I see the rates it looks like its about half price to book one central place for a month instead of week long stays?
Old 12-29-2015, 06:12 AM   #23
The original Snailer

1966 24' Tradewind
Again I would like to say I am overwhelmed at all the great help. We live in the country and suffer from a painfully slow internet ,so after looking at 100 campsite websites & maps, its time for bed . The reason I would like to be near websters is we are in the antique & auction business here and plan on selling there on Mondays. The rest of the week were off. I don't mind an hour drive to websters. Also Abraham my son really wants a day at Disney and maybe LEGOLAND. Then we can drive south a couple hours for a full beach day, that sort of thing.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:36 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snailer View Post
I am really enjoying the great tips I am getting here. I should also mention that the old snailers air conditioning isn't working yet and the old girl is a work in progress so we may stand out like a sore thumb in some of the upper crust parks, also my son is 6 and fancies himself as a showboat so a family friendly park would be great. I certainly dont mind the drive distance but not a big fan of traffic.I was thinking the rates are much better for a 1 month stay instead of two places for a couple weeks each. How much is the average electric charge for a one month? or does it work out about the same as the week rates with electric included.
State park rates are the same, 1 day or 14 days. The maximum length of a stay is 14 days, then you have to leave for a day before returning. You won't find a place now for 14 days except maybe in the northern part of the state. There is no separate charge for electric. Early this year we were in central Florida for a month (mid Jan to mid Feb), never used the AC but did use the furnace and heat pump. Water and electric, no sewer, have to pull out to the dump station.

Private resorts, like Carefree, have better rates for 30+ day stays. We are in one for about 5 weeks, rate is about $19 a day. I think electric is extra but I don't remember. Different Carefree resorts have different rates depending on location and amenities. Some have a 55+ rule so you wouldn't be able to stay there with a child.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 01:14 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
This will be a tad bit north for you, but they have nice parks on Springs.

http://www.ottersprings.com/info.htm
Old 01-08-2016, 03:40 PM   #26
The original Snailer

1966 24' Tradewind
Finally nailed down a site at Thousand Palms. Thanks to all for the great input. Maybe I will get some photos of Snailers inaugural voyage to post.