Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Winter Living
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-22-2009, 06:18 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Heating Waste Tank

I'm seeking information on how to heat the grey water tanks on a commercial mobile kitchen unit. It's not an Airstream so the tank is simply located under the floor with its' bottom flush with the bottom of the chassis frames. The first logical step would be to enclose the bottom of the tank, simply framing down with, say 3", steel channels and then constructing a galvanized sheet metal belly pan. There's adequate ground clearance to permit this. Subsequently the belly pan could be insulated. It's at that point I'm wondering how to heat the tank and the discharge connection. Remember, this is a grey water tank only and it will be dumped (---to a "blue tank") at least every other day - or sooner. Temperatures here frequently drop below "0" so the problem is significant. The 40 gal fresh water tank is above the floor and the unit will be heated 24/7.

Other solutions involve spotting a "winter" grey tank inside - although that's costly in terms of floor space and it would probably involve pumping the waste from the sink sumps to the tank. The average rate of discharge is probably less than 20 gallons per day - so the daily removal of a portable tank would not be out of the question. There are no sewer connections at the site where this unit will work during the winter and fresh water is replaced via portable tanks when needed.

I would certainly appreciate any creative ideas.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 06:39 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
Send a message via AIM to memgrove2000
look into these: Ultra Heat, Inc. - Tank Heaters . They may just have what you are looking for.

TAC # IN 1 Air#27922
memgrove2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:13 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Salem , Connecticut
heated tanks

I would put some non toxic antifreeze in the tank. The fresh water tank would need heat.
maintguy62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:21 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by memgrove2000 View Post
look into these: Ultra Heat, Inc. - Tank Heaters . They may just have what you are looking for.
I checked the website and it looks promising! Has anyone actually used one of their heaters for a "first-hand" report? The 110 v model would be all that is required since when the unit travels the grey tank would be empty.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 02:46 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
Send a message via AIM to memgrove2000
The boss of a friend of mine has his Big 5er all decked out with them and loves them. He heats all the tanks. I wish I could be more help than that, but we just go waterless in freezing temps. I know this would be hard for you to do.

TAC # IN 1 Air#27922
memgrove2000 is offline   Reply With Quote