Old 10-03-2014, 06:28 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
If it is a 30,000 BTU furnace it uses 30,000 BTU/hr. You can look up the BTU's in a bottle of propane. The furnance only puts out about 22,000 BTU/hr. A pound of propane is about 21,000 BTU. So if the furnace ran all the time it would suck a 30lb bottle dry in a day.

Perry

Old 10-03-2014, 06:49 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by cramar View Post
Now THAT is an impressive heater! Their website lists the propane usage and for comparison this begs the question: How much propane does the stock Airstream heater use?
There is nothing magic about any propane heater. They all burn at approximately 75% efficiency, the Marine heater in question, or the Airstream furnace (whatever brand). So, for equal heat output they burn the same amount of Propane. One is not more efficient than the other.

As far as I can tell, the 9000 is the actual BTUh input in propane. The input for small Airstream furnaces is generally 16,000, and larger ones up to 35,000. But if not needed the thermostat shuts the furnace off, so they do not run full time, effectively reducing their input. A small furnace has to run longer or full time to keep the place warm.

This heater has a much lower propane input and lower heat output. It may be enough for your Airstream, or it may not, depending on how you use it and in what conditions.

It does use less 12 volt power to run the fan, no question about that.

Old 10-03-2014, 08:59 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1980 20' Caravelle
Ogden , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
There is nothing magic about any propane heater. They all burn at approximately 75% efficiency, the Marine heater in question, or the Airstream furnace (whatever brand). So, for equal heat output they burn the same amount of Propane. One is not more efficient than the other.

As far as I can tell, the 9000 is the actual BTUh input in propane. The input for small Airstream furnaces is generally 16,000, and larger ones up to 35,000. But if not needed the thermostat shuts the furnace off, so they do not run full time, effectively reducing their input. A small furnace has to run longer or full time to keep the place warm.

This heater has a much lower propane input and lower heat output. It may be enough for your Airstream, or it may not, depending on how you use it and in what conditions.

It does use less 12 volt power to run the fan, no question about that.

I agree that it is not big enough for all Airstreams and is not for everybody. My Caravelle is only 20' and it is more than enough for heating that. There are definite tradeoffs to this type of heater. The biggest pluses for me are that it has a visible flame, low amp draw and is fully vented. The downsides are that it does not have a thermostat and has to be lit manually. You can adjust the heat output somewhat with a knob, but you have to relight it each time manually that you want to start it. If you want your trailer at an even 70 degrees all night it won't do it, but it will heat the trailer up and provide a nice ambiance when you want it. I can use the fantastic vent thermostat to moderate a bit, but that is pretty wasteful.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 10-05-2014, 09:48 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Anchorage , Alaska
Timzog, could you post a picture of how your heater is vented?
Old 10-05-2014, 11:12 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1980 20' Caravelle
Ogden , Utah
It is vented through a double wall flexible stainless tube.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1412568451.698016.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	643.7 KB
ID:	223761Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1412568488.266067.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	773.8 KB
ID:	223762

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 10-06-2014, 02:15 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Anchorage , Alaska
One more question Timzog, is the fresh air inlet the double wall pipe or is there another vent for fresh air. Also, did you install it or was it professionally installed. If professional, was it an airstream place or a marine place?

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 10-06-2014, 05:03 PM   #21
Air Al

2004 22' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to alreed
Report Back on Battery Usage with Heater on

Well, I went to CO this for 3 nights last weekend. The temperature went down into the upper 20s. I used the heater in the evening, turned it off at 10:00 p.m. and back on at 6:00 a.m. The 2 Trojan batteries only discharged 3-4%(including lights), and I was fully charged from my 100 watt solar panel by 10:00 a.m. I'll be confident now that I can leave the heater on at night!http://www.airforums.com/forums/imag...lies/smile.gif
Old 10-06-2014, 06:44 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
[QUOTE=timzog;1519380]I really love my Newport Dickinson propane fireplace. It can run without any power, but it works best with its small fan running.
I think it is way safer than the catalytic heaters since it uses a double flue which brings in fresh air from outside and exhausts all combustion products outside too. It is pricey at about $700 but it is totally cool. Here is a pic of my installation:
Attachment 223406.
I don't know the exact amp draw of the fan but it is just like a small computer fan so it does not use much power and is very quiet. I bet that you could run it for weeks on your battery.

That thing looks sweet! How about some details on the installation. How well does it work?
Old 10-06-2014, 06:57 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Port Hadlock , Washington
I've been using the Dickinson Newport for the last four years and it will take the chill off tomorrow in Bryce Canyon. It is perfect for me.

The only downside is that it will not heat your holding tanks like the furnace, but I've had no problems down to twenty degrees or so.

Cheers,
Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	299.5 KB
ID:	223798  

Blog: My 57 Caravanner
pbearsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 11:31 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1980 20' Caravelle
Ogden , Utah
Newport Dickinson installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreamlineAK View Post
One more question Timzog, is the fresh air inlet the double wall pipe or is there another vent for fresh air. Also, did you install it or was it professionally installed. If professional, was it an airstream place or a marine place?
I'm sorry if this is hijacking this thread since the OP has tested out their furnace while boondocking and it is working well which is awesome.
I did the installation myself. The installation was pretty easy. The scary part was cutting a 3" hole in the roof. The double wall tube, interior flange, and exterior vent fitting are all supplied with the heater. The height is determined by the length of the pipe which would be difficult to cut any shorter. The inner and outer flue slide over the matching fitting on the heater and also slide over the vent fitting from the roof. The roof fitting has a gasket as well. The mounting plate was attached with 4 screws to the interior wall. The 12V power was run into a box behind the mounting plate. I bought a double flare tool and did the propane plumbing myself. Steve, who posted just previously, is the real expert on the operation of it.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:52 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Personally, I don't see a reason to camp in winter cold. We go south in the winter where is it warm. That is the beauty of having a trailer. You can pull it to where the weather is good.

Perry
Not much to say directly ... YMMV.
We much prefer camping in the cooler weather ... campgrounds are not so full, and for us it is much easier to warm up the AS than it is to cool it ... as opined the many who have dual AC units! The fall and spring are very colorful and folks seem so much more easy going when they are not sweating!

If you haven't tried it, give it a whirl.