Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Winter Living
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-09-2012, 07:21 PM   #1
wharf rat newbie

1978 31' Excella 500
keller , Washington
Heated water hose

In the spirit of either adventure or insanity we are full-timing on our property in Keller, WA. [1400 ft elevation, north of Lake Roosevelt on the Colville Reservation]. In theory this is temporary until we get our yurt built next year. In the meantime, the well is about 75ft from the Airstream water inlet. I'm considering heated water hose but they seem to fall into two categories: cheap around $100 with poor ratings or crazy expensive around $500 to $900. Anybody have any experience with particular brands? I'm also wondering if I can't take good quality hose, wrap with gutter melt heat tape then cover with foam pipe insulation. I've only had to disconnect from the well and drain the hose twice but it's going down to 20 degrees tonight so I guess winter is on its way. Your thoughts would be appreciated.
wharfrat8995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Rather than a garden hose, I would recommend you get 1/2" PEX pipe and then run a length of heat tape (not gutter melt tape) along it and then cover with the foam pipe insulation. Be sure there is a thermostat on the tape so it does not overheat the pipe. You can make up the hose ends necessary from the sharkbite fitings and hose adaptors available at Home Depot of Lowe's.

The other thing you can do is just use the internal trailer water tank and pump. Fill the tank when it is warm enough out so you can run the hose, then drain the hose and be done with the problem until you need another tank full of water.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:03 PM   #3
JT

1973 27' Overlander
El Paso , Texas
Using the internal water tank is a great idea...simple but efficient.
jimbob79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:14 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I have had my fresh water hose freeze several times. I still plan to buy a heated hose. I, also have read the reviews on them and all of the bad things about making your own. Amazon has a new line that are made in the USA and a drinking water safe. And yes, more expensive. I also used my water pump system when my hose froze. 75 feet is a long way to go. I think the pipe idea, at least for most of it, is a good idea.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:08 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Full Timers just passing through , Arizona for a couple of weeks and then on to Utah!
I just purchased one of the heated hoses from Amazon. Hooked it up yesterday and woke to frozen water hose this morning..epic fail! It is installed correctly, has voltage to its input plug and is frozen as solid as a mackrel!

I am not a happy camper this morning. As soon as it warms up a bit and gets full light, I will be out trying to thaw the mess out!
Old 12-19-2012, 04:59 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1993 34' Excella
2001 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Beaufort , North Carolina
I took pvc with brass fittings on each end, covered it with aluminum foil then used EasyHeat water pipe line with thermostat. Covered that with 2" of pipe insulation then slid assembly inside plastic drain pipe. Should be good to -40. We will see
dheflin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:13 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
I would suggest moving the trailer 75 feet to the left... but that'd be sarcastic.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:22 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Full Timers just passing through , Arizona for a couple of weeks and then on to Utah!
Man..do I have experience. Down to 6 tonight..use the tank as much as you can and avoid heated hoses if possible. If you have to use a heated hose, try to use PVC if possible. My experience with white RV water hoses and heat tapes..I could write a book!!
Old 12-19-2012, 09:59 PM   #9
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by deauxrite View Post
Man..do I have experience. Down to 6 tonight..use the tank as much as you can and avoid heated hoses if possible. If you have to use a heated hose, try to use PVC if possible. My experience with white RV water hoses and heat tapes..I could write a book!!

Wow.. 6 degrees is pretty cold. I thought the heated hose would work in that situation but your experience would prove that incorrect. Seems like it wouldnt take much heat to keep it above freezing.. like the light bulb in the pump house theory. Thanks for the info.

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:12 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by deauxrite View Post
True words, we were up in Flag last month and our neighbor had a new trailer delivered and set-up by Camping World. They wrapped the white hose with heat tape and covered it with black pipe insulation. It got down in the twenties, I got up early and he had gushers all over! Yup, the heat tape had melted the hose!
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:15 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
For a 75ft run I would bury the waterline.Have the utility company come out and mark any underground lines.Rent a trencher and do it right as it will save time and money in the long run.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:19 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Can you just bury a water line from the well to the trailer and only heat the exposed ends. What is the dept of the frost line?
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:27 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Burying can be an expensive proposition, depending on the frost line. Building code here calls for burying pipes at six feet down; frost line is four feet. (It was -12F this morning, not unusual for this time of the year. Things freeze deep and quickly.)

Lynn
Old 12-23-2012, 08:54 AM   #14
wharf rat newbie

1978 31' Excella 500
keller , Washington
For this winter I'm just using the tank although I may upgrade to a higher pressure/volume pump and a small accumulator. Coldest so far has been 11 degrees but most days it has gone above freezing and with the wet weather flow nights are usually only mid twenties. After hearing many disaster stories I decided against heated hose and will bury lines next spring. Brad's suggestion about moving the trailer will be happening....32 X 32 deck for a 20ft diameter yurt with a dock for the Airstream with common utilities [water, electric, propane]. I ended up talking to one of our local ranchers....keeping stock tanks ice free using heated hoses was a waste of time and money...cheap hose didn't last and he was damned if he was gonna pay 700 bucks for 100ft professional hose so he went to solar heaters. Might be an option.
wharfrat8995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:54 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Minden , Nevada
I built a winter hose from a white RV water hose, a 30' heat tape, aluminum foil, tubing insulation and 3m duct tape. It looked like something NASA would have ordered and I was mighty proud until the heat tape quit working.

Rather than rebuild the whole thing I bought a 25' Pirit heated water hose for a little more money ($113 w tax). We have had a couple of -4 degree nights and the average temp has been just 21* over the last 20 days. It has been COLD! The Pirit hose works well, but it has had a garden hose taste unless you let the water run a bit, though will store a lot easier than the homemade one.

Always tradeoffs, huh?
Old 01-16-2013, 08:58 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild-Air View Post
I built a winter hose from a white RV water hose, a 30' heat tape, aluminum foil, tubing insulation and 3m duct tape. It looked like something NASA would have ordered and I was mighty proud until the heat tape quit working.

Rather than rebuild the whole thing I bought a 25' Pirit heated water hose for a little more money ($113 w tax). We have had a couple of -4 degree nights and the average temp has been just 21* over the last 20 days. It has been COLD! The Pirit hose works well, but it has had a garden hose taste unless you let the water run a bit, though will store a lot easier than the homemade one.

Always tradeoffs, huh?
Beware the Pirit hose. I have had two failures this winter and my neighbor just had one fail last weekend. Seems they wait until you least expect it!

I rebuilt a heat tape version, much like your first one..works like a charm!

See this thread! http://www.airforums.com/forums/f459...yon-98031.html
Old 01-16-2013, 10:24 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, this is what it looks like if you don't, but should, have a heated water hose.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	157crop.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	638.4 KB
ID:	176879   Click image for larger version

Name:	159RS.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	936.3 KB
ID:	176880  

Click image for larger version

Name:	160RS.jpg