Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2017, 08:58 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami-v2 View Post
My wife said she read the Airstream Winter Camping Guide. I asked her to give me the "Cliff Note synopsis" and she said the guide basically recommend going to Florida for the winter!
HA! That's great!

Protagonist, it's one of the items in this months The Rivet.

https://www.airstream.com/community/..._hsmi=58080016

-Alan
AlanMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 05:09 AM   #22
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanMcD View Post
Protagonist, it's one of the items in this months The Rivet.

https://www.airstream.com/community/..._hsmi=58080016
Thank you for the link!
Old 11-05-2017, 06:41 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanMcD View Post
I just read the Airstream Winter Camping Guide for the heck of it, the one they sent probably all of us, and it had a short blurb saying that the heat pump works down to 30 degrees then the furnace kicks on automatically. It was on page 16, item #2 of the guide and the quote is:

Note: The heat pump will not operate below 30 degrees Fahrenheit, and will automatically switch to the furnace below that temperature

-Alan
Well, there you have it.
The good news is the furnace was very quiet, and didn't have the "dusty" smell of a first time use. Just nice warm air. That's why I didn't think it really was the furnace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Bingo!
Read the instructions? I'd have to turn in my man card!

Before you know it, I'll be asking for directions!
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 07:15 AM   #24
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Read the instructions? I'd have to turn in my man card!

Before you know it, I'll be asking for directions!
The horror!

Dr. Protagonist prescribes a healthy masculine activity like grilling a thick juicy venison steak— from a deer that you hunted, shot, and butchered yourself— and chowing down on a carefully unbalanced meal that contains no green vegetables at all. That should help you get over those wimpy impulses!
Old 12-30-2017, 10:27 PM   #25
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
Hey all, this was something I was keenly interested in following up on so I dug up my CCC2 Thermostat Operating Instructions.

Under the "Special Features" section, item F. Auxiliary Heat (pg.16)
It confirms this feature. Pretty much as speculated, outside temp below 30F goes to Furnace, outside temp rises past 35F back to Heat Pump

Huzzah!

What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything! H. P. Lovecraft
wave man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 11:06 PM   #26
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
However have been unable to observe my system actually doing it, the heat pumps just hang in there and do a good job, never switches to furnace as temps outside plunge below 30...when it didn’t do it I had to put the mode to furnace or risk it not ever doing so on its own and suffering the frozen consequences.... bah!

What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything! H. P. Lovecraft
Old 01-14-2018, 06:12 AM   #27
rbs
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
our thermostat set on HP changes over to furnace at 30 just as advertised, and this year has done it several times, unfortunately. What a crazy weather year, we're just glad to not be stuck at our home.
rbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 06:48 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
our thermostat set on HP changes over to furnace at 30 just as advertised, and this year has done it several times, unfortunately. What a crazy weather year, we're just glad to not be stuck at our home.
It the stat set to HP or Auto when it does this?
Old 01-15-2018, 08:33 AM   #29
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
Mine has been set to HP like rbs above, haven’t used the Auto mode much. Tried it once and noted it cooled the trailer down then was warming from the other unit to maintain the set temp... nutty... [emoji854]

The paucity of detail in the manual leaves me in the dark as to which is required for this auto furnace feature... [emoji58]

however it’s getting real cold in Houston again tonight so another test is planned [emoji51]

Old 01-15-2018, 08:41 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wave man View Post
Hey all, this was something I was keenly interested in following up on so I dug up my CCC2 Thermostat Operating Instructions.

Under the "Special Features" section, item F. Auxiliary Heat (pg.16)
It confirms this feature. Pretty much as speculated, outside temp below 30F goes to Furnace, outside temp rises past 35F back to Heat Pump

Huzzah!
My understanding is that it only switches over if you have "auto" programmed to do so. Since my unit was new, I did nothing, so unless the dealer programmed it, I still don't understand how it decided to help me. (It was a pleasant surprise).
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote