Old 12-20-2007, 09:30 AM   #1

Furnace AMP usage

Can anyone tell me how many amps the furnace uses. If I leave the furnace on at night with no electric (dry camping) will it kill my two batteries ?
I can recharge with my generator during the day.

Old 12-20-2007, 10:10 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
IRC, mine uses 8-10 amps when the blower is running, essentially zero when its not. I've never been in a situation where the blower runs constantly.

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 11:12 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Ogden , Utah
My furnace blower takes between 7 & 8 amps How long your batteries last will depend on how cold it is, how much area are you trying to heat, and the thernostat setting (those drive how much time your furnace is operating), and the size and condition of your battery.

As a data point - my first Airstream (21') started with one Group 24 battery. On a typical day in late autumn where the overnight temps would drop to about 30, and the thermostat set at 65, this one battery would not go through one night. I added a second Group 24 battery, and then it could go through one night, run the lights & water pump the following day (didn't run the furnace during the day since it warmed up enough outside), but could not make it through a second night with the furnace running.

I solved this problem by adding a catalytic heater that doesn't need battery to operate (but made me be concerned about carbon monoxide, etc), and then eventually a Honda protable generator - so now I just recharge each day (when camping in cold weather).

I also installed a meter that tells me how many amps I've used - doesn't give me more capacity, but gives me a better idea of battery condition so I can relax and enjoy the camping!
Old 12-20-2007, 12:43 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM16CCD

I also installed a meter that tells me how many amps I've used - doesn't give me more capacity, but gives me a better idea of battery condition so I can relax and enjoy the camping!
I also installed such a device. I got the Trimetric from Randy (68 Overlander) at TriMetric Battery Monitor

This device allows you to know what loads use how much and accurately monitor your state of charge. It's also good because it tells you how far you have recharged (it takes longer and longer to fully charge the batteries as you use them and then partially recharge them).

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 12:50 PM   #5

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
I need to get a Trimetric. I do a lot of cold weather camping and would recommend setting the thermostat fairly low at night if boondocking. This will keep the furnace from running unnecessarily. Late in the season we use our old backpacking sleeping bags (20 degree bag for me, 5 degree bag for Susie) and are perfectly comfortable if the thermostat is at 50 overnight.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote