Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Winter Living
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-27-2008, 09:45 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
Full timing, where possible?

I recently learned that my job is being "eliminated" at the end of December. I am 10+ years from retirement, and want to get working again soon. Jobs are difficult to find in the current economy. I think that many more jobs would be available if I look beyond commuting distance of my home. I don't want to move permanently, so am thinking about finding work, living in my trailer, and commuting home a couple times each month using my small plane. So, my Airstream question is... where is the zone where someone could live year-round in an Airstream for a couple years? Florida, Texas, Arizona, So. California - yes, that's easy. How about the front range of Colorado? Georgia? Tennesee? S. Carolina? Where would you draw the line?

By the way, if anyone knows of any IT management jobs, please PM!
Old 11-27-2008, 10:03 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We camp year round in our 25FB. We've been caught in freezing weather a number of times. When it gets below freezing, the heat pump goes away, and we have to resort to the gas furnace. In the 20's, we have to take the water hose in. If you're planning to fulltime, I would suggest staying south of I-20.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 10:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet There’s Always Little Rock

I live full time in my Excella in Little Rock, Arkansas. You must take the brutal weather into consideration. Today, Thanksgiving, I turned the AC on because it got up to 78 inside. It was an incredibly beautiful day. Short sleeve weather outside. The weather is good for Airstreams and LR has some great qualities.

In IT, there are Axiom, Systematics, Dassault Falcon Jet, and Hawker Beechcraft among others.

Also, there is Little Rock Adams Field (KLIT) and North Little Rock Muni (KORK) for consideration. Plenty of small plane access.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:17 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
We camp year round in our 25FB. We've been caught in freezing weather a number of times. When it gets below freezing, the heat pump goes away, and we have to resort to the gas furnace. In the 20's, we have to take the water hose in. If you're planning to fulltime, I would suggest staying south of I-20.

Brian
Moosetags is right about avoiding the weather. In my case, I have found that the weather in LR (north of I20, is about the same as Austin, TX well south of I20) I have lived in both and can recommend both highly.

Austin has a great culture, especially if you are into the blues, but property prices (and taxes) are high (probably offsets the income tax {TX none, AR yes} advantage) depends on your income situation.

If you are addicted to the blues, Memphis is also close so a quick dose is available.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:22 AM   #5

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
gainesville , Georgia
Smile Georgia full timing

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac View Post
I recently learned that my job is being "eliminated" at the end of December. I am 10+ years from retirement, and want to get working again soon. Jobs are difficult to find in the current economy. I think that many more jobs would be available if I look beyond commuting distance of my home. I don't want to move permanently, so am thinking about finding work, living in my trailer, and commuting home a couple times each month using my small plane. So, my Airstream question is... where is the zone where someone could live year-round in an Airstream for a couple years? Florida, Texas, Arizona, So. California - yes, that's easy. How about the front range of Colorado? Georgia? Tennesee? S. Carolina? Where would you draw the line?

By the way, if anyone knows of any IT management jobs, please PM!
Stay positive!!!! Consider Ga. at Top Of Ga. airstream only park, Helen,Ga. $180 a month covers space rent, electric, water, cable tv, wi-fi. I have a '91 34' Classic Ltd for sale parked there. I used to fly SEL planes. Living now in Gainesville Ga www.fsboatl.com#1794 Just bought a MacBook plus for some pending projects. Phone if I can help: Stan Morrison 770-540-5725 aka thehug guy at hotmail dot com.
thehugguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 08:24 AM   #6

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
gainesville , Georgia
Call me for some ideas: Stan Morrison 770-540-5725 See my posdted sreply. Best wishes !
thehugguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 08:26 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
You could always give Seattle a try. The climate is mild enough to full time year 'round.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 09:09 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Ideas

I full time in Virginia Beach, VA - but I've got to tell you there are about two months that I want to go to Savannah or Tampa. It's doable anywhere from here south.

I think your plan sounds reasonable. I assume you own a home in Minnesota - and now certainly isn't a good time to sell it. I'd get your resume out everywhere - and for heavens sake pay a professional writer to do it. If you think your writing skills are excellent - still pay a pro to review it. Also take advantage of your current company, by having a decision maker in of HR review your resume and cover letter. Many times companies will hire "outplacement counselors" (to make sure you leave without going postal) and these services are very very valuable. They'll help with resumes and the job search.

If I may suggest, the fact that you have a pilot's license may work in your favor - for jobs where project management covers multiple sites... as will living in an Airstream... so include that you are willing and able to travel.
If you don't have a passport, get one. Being able to travel could include overseas travel too.

Last word. You could find something great in a couple of weeks, but you'll be the low guy on the totem pole, and if the next company also has issues... geeeeeeek. Taking a step downward in the last 10 years you're planning to work is really hard on your social security benefits, so if you have to go in that direction initially, try to find something with a lot of upward potential.

My partner Bob always says this: Hope for the best, plan for the WORST.
In that spirit, circle the wagons. Eliminate ANYTHING that is an optional expense, scale back on everything else. Screw impressing other people!

A few expenses to look at: country club dues, kids dance lessons, acrylic nails, Starbucks coffee, teenagers cars, big entertainment expenses, wasted utility chargges. Involve your whole family down to the 8 year olds in the "frugality plan". You do NOT need every bell and whistle offered on cable or Direct TV. You CAN live without high speed internet AND wireless internet. Keep the one that will work best for your job search. You have how many cell phones in your family? If your teenagers want cars - well do they have MacJobs that will pay for insurance, gas and car payments? Are they willing to shop at thrift stores to save you money so that you can afford to help out if the car needs major repairs? Do you have a 23 year old who still lives at home and doesn't pay rent? Change the locks while he/she is gone. When he/she comes home, have mapquest directions printed out to the Navy Recruiter's office. (I guarantee the kid may sleep in his car for one night, then he/she will have a job. In this case - brutal is better than reasonable). Kid in college - in a fraternity? Reality check, get a J-O-B to help out.

Reducing and eliminating debt are first. Getting other people in the household to go to contribute to the overall maintenance of your housing costs is critical. I have a woman friend in your same situation. In her house I found 3 large screen TV's and 4 personal computers. Do you know how much electricity she could save by unplugging some of these? She also had a microwave and ann old refrigerator in the garage for her kids soft drinks. She didn't want them tromping through the house and spreading dirt - but can you imagine what it cost to cool those drinks in an un-airconditioned garage. She also fired her lawn care company and made the kids mow the lawn - saved $300 a month there.

If it takes you six months to find a job, or if you have to take a big cut in salary you're household expenses will kill you.

Most of all, use your time well, and I wish you a smooth landing in a new situation.

Paula
Old 11-29-2008, 11:49 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
Thanks for the advice everyone!

Although I will have a severance package, we have already started the austerity plan at home. We have a second home that will need to be sold this spring... not at a "loss', but certainly less than it's peak value of a couple years ago. This will reduce our expenses substantially - to where we could almost survive on my wifes low teaching salary for awhile. But I don't want to sell two houses in a depressed market, therefore the trailer living idea if I need to move for a job.

I am applying for jobs all over... yet with little response so far it feels like I'm sending resume's into the darkness of space. I will likely have to take a pay cut, but I'd rather have a job and keep looking than have no job at all!

My pilot skills will likely have no value to employers, as they tend to disallow private aircraft business travel (other than their Corporate jets) due to liability concerns.

Also, living in a travel trailer will not endear me to Corporate America! So it will not be mentioned.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:27 AM   #10
Be Calm, Have a Cupcake

Vintage Kin Owner
Houston , Texas
I politely disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac View Post
Thanks for the advice everyone!
Also, living in a travel trailer will not endear me to Corporate America! So it will not be mentioned.
I have found that having an Airstream puts you into a very marketable position for jobs that involve project related work; that is, where your work involves lots of assignments around the country at various client sites. This is especially true for IT contractors that service large corporations that open new offices around the country, or IT firms that have to send technicians or IT managers into firms for security audits, etc. where the stay may be several weeks or months.

Research the firms that do this and apply there. You will find a welcome reception.

I made a very good living doing that as a counter-terrorism / anti-terrorism consultant since well before 9/11. I now work in the Middle-East but I still have my 34' Airstream Excella and use it for projects in the US when I am called there.

Would you rather have a mansion full of money or a trailer full of love?
Secguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:44 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2009 30' Classic
Salem , Alabama
Been reading post's about the poor quality of Air Streams.However. Finding that an RV, basically designed for short period; recreational camping, is doing a pretty good job for you full-timers. Thanks for the info. I will spend 1 1/2 year in the near traveling with mine.Mel
woppa 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:56 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Classic FB
Anytown , Massachusetts
I use my AS consulting too. I believe you may be surprised at companies reaction!

I use it for my biz and I prep the client and tell them I will be coming to your site with my AS. I have a good reception since I am there for a short period of time. I am self contained and my rig is spotless and presented as a win win for them.

Success is achieved by those who try.
WBCCI #8701* TAC MA-1 * NEU UNIT
Gracie...A Liver & White GSP
Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
Whirlaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:18 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Resume's and the black hole...

Most companies are getting SO many resumes that they are not even taking the time to respond to them with the traditional "thanks but we're not hiring" letter. Make sure you include your e-mail address, because some will at least respond via that channel.

HR departments tend to be gatekeepers, not facilitators, so if you have any other channels into a business, use them. If you were in a college fraternity, call your old brothers. Elks, Jaycees, WBCCI - use your acquaintances.

There are fields which are always hiring - insurance and medical/hospital work pops to the forefront.

Getting GOOD advice (brutally honest) and accepting it can really help too. A very dear friend of mine went through the same thing you are facing... finally his wife told him a very hard truth - he needed hearing aids and was in denial.... he had given up smoking, but had very brown teeth from years of having the habit. Hearing aids and teeth whitening to literally put his best assets forward... well he got three offers within a month of making the changes.

Put yourself in the shoes of the person who is doing the hiring - and be fully prepared to kick his/her kneejerk response to a resume from a 55 year old..... generally these people are looking to hire younger workers who will work at lower salaries and who have the POTENTIAL to be 30 year employees. Although legally a business can't discriminate by age, you'll die of old age waiting to see anyone get prosecuted for failing to hire mature workers. IMHO (as a small business owner) your best bet is to be very upfront about the age issue, without being confrontational. "Hi, I'm 50 something... and the first thing you'll think is "he wants too much money and he's inflexible" but give 10 seconds to consider: I understand the economic realities of the world, and I'm willing to prove my value, AND while I may take just a bit more lead time to adapt than I would have at 20, I'm far from stogy or petrified. What DO I bring to the table? Well, if you hire a 20 something, odds are he/she will be gone in 3 years or less... With me, you have someone who won't be eager to switch jobs for $1000 more per year - and you'll have someone who already knows how to cooperatively work with others, how to diffuse conflicts and create a productive workplace and how to show up ready to work every day. Oh and I've got a great wife and grown children, so I won't be flirting with coworkers or taking days off because my two year old has stomach flu.

Don't forget Twitter and Facebook and Myspace... Businesses are using them to do "soft advertising"... and it may be a place for you to do the same for yourself.

Good luck on your continuing search.

Paula
Old 01-07-2010, 02:22 PM   #14
SJ1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Gwinnett County , Georgia
I see fulltimers in insurance, all kinds of construction, disaster-related professions, consultants of several varieties, to mention professions I know about, of some who have stayed in the park where I live.
SJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote