Old 12-07-2012, 05:29 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1983 34' Limited
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
Thanks Zep.
We have been working on insulating other parts of the trailer now. Putting the bubble wrap tinfoil under the bed over the wheel wells. Then I put more over the other side wheel wells. Will put more over the battery boxes and probably on the outside wall of the bathroom cabinets. Gets cold in there just because there is not enough insulation. That stuff works pretty darn good so far. Much less drafty so far! Going to pick up some straw bales next month to skirt it. Want to be able to get out and camp in it at the park some this winter. We get nice spells in the winter and I would like to be adventuring some. To sophisticated of a skirt around it and it makes it to complicated to get back out!

Old 12-07-2012, 07:40 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
You are giving an open invitation to rodents and other critters with the straw bale idea. Straw is a food source for mice. Whether it be wheat straw, oat straw or barley straw, not all of the grain has been removed in the threshing process. So there will be plenty for them to eat and build nests in.
Not to mention the fire hazard. If the straw gets wet and does not dry out quickly, it will begin to deteriorate. When this happens, heat is generated. If the heat rise is significant enough, spontaneous combustion can occur.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:46 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Anchorage , Alaska
In, Colorado, in winter, I did not have a mice issue with strawbales. I did have a problem in the spring with moldy, soggy strawbales to get rid of. (my 2 cents)
Old 12-08-2012, 10:16 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1983 34' Limited
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
Yes straw can present its own problems but it is the best insulation you can get for the price and r value. Mice aren't as much of a problem here, and it helps that we have dogs and lots of bait stations around anyways!
As far as combustion I have only heard of that in barns and big stacks. The heat builds up inside that great insulation when it is stacked wet. Hay put up dry will not let enough water into the stack to cause a problem. stacking one row of bales around a trailer is no more dangerous than cooking a burger in the pan on the stove.

Oh yeah. We have half an acre to scatter rotten bales on in the spring on the grass and yard!
Old 12-10-2012, 10:51 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1983 34' Limited
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
Well last night got down to about 5 degrees at the lowest I saw it. They high for the day was maybe 20 but I think more like 17.. Warmer today but not hot! When we got home around 8 last night I had one water line that was not working correctly in the bathroom sink. Ran hot water through the shower for a minute and since the sink is t'd off the shower I figured it would work. Sure enough after a few seconds the sink started flowing again.
The main problem is we popped a breaker while we were gone so only one electric heater was running in the front and the furnace and back heater were not. It was about 48 in the trailer when we got there. Put the breaker back, turned on the furnace and electric heaters and wala! Trailer was a balmy 65 all night! Went out and put a 60w light bulb in the rear compartment where the pipes are not exposed the the heat from inside the trailer. Put that back there and it worked just fine. Left the shower and sink open with the pump off so the water lines were empty and open to give ice a place to expand if it did freeze up.
Just so you all know.. It was not supposed to get that cold! I watch the weather and if I had seen 5 degrees I would have drained the water tank and lines! Lowest I saw was about 15 or so. I wasn't worried about that as we have been there before. But now I know that we can go as low as 5 with a few modifications! hahaha bring on the cold weather!
Old 12-10-2012, 11:51 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
Its interesting reading your updates on the freezing/ cold issues! It is a chilly 81 here today! The only freezing we seem to get is in the margarita's!
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
c_lewis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:15 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1983 34' Limited
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
Oh how I do like those margaritas!
Old 12-11-2012, 09:06 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
Come on over here to the beach! I make a mean mohito too!
Then you can write about all the sand you keep tracking in your airstream! Haha!
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
c_lewis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:35 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1983 34' Limited
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
Happy Holidays from Sylvia!

Happy Holidays everyone! Been crazy busy at work. We both work in the ski retail industry so this time of year is crazy! Temps have been fairly cold lately here in Colorado. Highs in 20s and lows in single digits and teens. Have not had any freezing problems. Trailer is warm and snug! We have two electric heaters, one in the back and one in the front to balance out the furnace heat. Works great! Also have two 60 watt light bulbs plugged in and on in the back plumbing area. Keeps the pex water lines from freezing. We also turn off the pump and let the water drain from the lines at night to keep them from freezing. So far so good!
Replacing the lp auto changeover. It was original and needs to be changed. It changes over fine but does not always seal off when taking off a tank to refil. So off it goes today! But before that we are headed up for a little skiing! Love living in Colorado!

I added a few pics to our profile of Sylvia all dressed up! It won't let me post them on here. Something about a security something or other! Check them out!

Matt
Old 01-14-2013, 06:15 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
Sulphur Springs , Texas
Do you have photo of how or where you placed the lights? We also fulltime, left Colorado before the winter hit too much. Now we're in Texas and we will be in Connecticut in a month. We are new at this too. So far so good with the winter. The lowest it's gone is 19 degrees and we had two big propane leaks that day so all we had was space heaters. Nothing beats the furnace heat for me. But when it's only slightly chilled the space heaters work just fine.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:45 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1983 34' Limited
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
Shehanigans,

Yeah I have a pic or two. Our winter hasn't been to bad. A 2 week spell of nothing over 20-25 and then last weekend of nothing above about 13.. and a few below zero nights. All in all nothing major. Our furnace runs great and isn't to bad on propane. Since we replaced the auto switchover and the two hoses it is much better. Our water heater pilot doesn't go out as much and we are not going through near as much propane. Guess there was some leaking going on! The space heaters do a nice job of evening out the heat in the trailer. That way the front and back stay the same as the middle. Also cuts down on propane usage. We like the set up. Even all weekend when it was single digits it was 68 in the trailer! Comfy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer lights.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	176948   Click image for larger version

Name:	tree.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	176949  

Old 01-19-2013, 11:25 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
Sulphur Springs , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishrra View Post
Shehanigans,

Yeah I have a pic or two. Our winter hasn't been to bad. A 2 week spell of nothing over 20-25 and then last weekend of nothing above about 13.. and a few below zero nights. All in all nothing major. Our furnace runs great and isn't to bad on propane. Since we replaced the auto switchover and the two hoses it is much better. Our water heater pilot doesn't go out as much and we are not going through near as much propane. Guess there was some leaking going on! The space heaters do a nice job of evening out the heat in the trailer. That way the front and back stay the same as the middle. Also cuts down on propane usage. We like the set up. Even all weekend when it was single digits it was 68 in the trailer! Comfy!
We found that we can't keep the heater above 60 or we get burnt out of here. The valves on our propane tanks were leaking slowly so our first really cold night we ran out. We used space heater but they definitely do not give off the same heat.

We replaced the valves on the tanks, they were ready right before our last freeze. I have to say...The difference is apparent and I'd rather not have to use space heaters during a freeze again. On the way back one of my gauges busted so we're using that tank first so we can have it fixed without losing all of our propane.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:34 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1983 34' Limited
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
We do not have gauges on our tanks. I have looked into costs to get them installed and deemed it not worth it. I have 2 30lb tanks. Even in really cold weather they last 3-4 days. During mild 20-50 degrees they last a week. With a newly installed auto changeover and two hoses we are running with very little loss now! basically if I think one tank is getting low I just go pick it up. I can tell pretty close how much is left. Also when the auto change over goes red I still have 30lbs left! Have not had to worry about it much.
Yeah the furnace is gold compared to space heaters. I can't understand why anyone would ever want to use a heat pump or space heaters! Just fire up the furnace! SOOOOOO nice!
Old 07-30-2015, 12:42 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Golden , Colorado
How did winter in CO go?

Hi Matt,

Not sure if you're still on the forums, but if you are, was wondering how this all turned out for you? We are debating a move to Denver and would be full-timing in our 30' Safari. Just wondering if you had any tips or thoughts after your experience?

Hope to hear from you,
Tiffany

I'm restless. Things are calling me away. My hair is being pulled by the stars again. -Anais Nin
tifspiff9 is offline   Reply With Quote