Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2006, 01:00 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
I had the same trouble with my furnace, I took the pilot apart and the burner tip has about 500 tiny holes in it, when it is clean you can hold it up to a bright light or the sun and see them. Take it out of the furnace and soak it over night, then blow it out with high pressure air, blow the opposite way of the gas flow. I forget what I used but you can go to a auto parts store or rv dealer and tell them what you want to do. I never had any problem after that.
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 02:13 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog0525
I would strongly advise against putting hay, straw or any combustible material under a trailer. It's a fire hazard.
icedcacti, for lots of good tips on winter living in an Airstream, turn up the heat, kick back with your favorite beverage and read throught this lengthy thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ving-2738.html
The hay also attracts 4 legged critters that like to nest, find small openings in your heated space and chow down on your leftovers.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 02:38 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1995 30' Limited
Warsaw , Missouri
Hey...dont use hay!!!!! Bad deal.If you are in an RV park forget it.Their insurance will not abide with that one.If you research back to the beginning of Winter Living when we first set out to live in our A/S you will see what we used thru 2 winters.Putting a light under the Rv will help also.Be safe.
Rubyslipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:07 AM   #24

2008 22' International CCD
portland , Oregon
full timing

HI

I love the Airstream forum, unfortunatly I do not have one, many years reading abaout heating, dead battery middle of the night...etc..... so...People...... listen to me: only sulution : wented wall furnace, used 1/3 of propane, no battery need to run , no noise furnace, all over europa we used it for ever... wee live in 2010 this furnace what you find in any trailer, i s100 years technology, think obout heated floor, I have it for $30.... and it,s make a big big diffferent

thanx for read my words
zoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 10:23 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
THE RANCH , Texas
Howdy from TEXAS!!! Zoli, please tell me more about your heated floors ....I have been searching for a way to heat the floors in "THE MONEY PIT" so that I might live more comfortably through some very cold Panhandle nights!

Thanks in advance for any information....

Blessings sent your way....adios....Callie

HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!

TAC TX 42
callie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 09:55 AM   #26

2008 22' International CCD
portland , Oregon
HI!

Heated floor can B $ 4 thausand, or...$ 39.00/ her is a big secret: taka part a heating blanket, put under your laminate floor, and never gonna be cold feet again, it,s NOT gonna be hot, or too warm, but will not be cold... it, GFI protected, adjustable , top of that it,s take only 80watts.....so I did mine and its perfect, kids can run around bear feet, / of course, my rig is not 40 feet, and did not cost 2 million dollars))))/
zoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 11:22 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2018 33' Classic
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
Excellent thought... I might just lay it on top of the flooring for temporary use if it's not too cold. I have been wanting to find a heated floor mat that is thin enough and long enough to use as a runner in our Sport 22. If we have electrical hookup, it would allow us to heat the trailer and have warm feet, no propane required! But the biggest issue is not being awoken by the furnace blower and igniter every time it kicks on...
Old 08-22-2010, 11:28 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2018 33' Classic
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
Oh! And another thought:

We always travel with our black lab. He is a seasoned (11 year old) hunting dog, and he sleeps and relaxes in a large crate which we have an insulated jacket for... However, we have been looking for a way to provide some gentle heat on colder nights now as he gets older, and the electric blanket may be a perfect solution.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:52 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Electric heating pads for pets...

You can buy electric heating pads that are especially designed for pets. We bought a cat sized one for our outdoor cat which seemed to be much appreciated. As I recall they do come in different sizes.

Malcolm
Old 08-24-2010, 04:17 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
In this video you will see what we used for heat. Mr. Heater attachments are great, we evn cook with it if we have too, heat and boil water for coffee. We had a seven day blackout last year and this set up is what saved us from ruin. They cost about forty five dollars from most hardware stores.
Mind you YOU MUSTunder skirt that trailer...Bales of hay is kind of dangerous...but you want mostly to block the wind from going under neath. Your central heat is going to EAT YOU UP! Just get a tank with a Mr. Heater and set it on the corner by the front door...and position it in just the right way that you know it is not going to roast a wall. Because it does not take long at all to heat the house with it, you can roast hotdogs etc and boil water if you are carful using the right cooking stuff.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:07 AM   #31
x

XXXX , XXXX
using those Mr. Heaters indoors is a recipe for disaster. A propane heater needs oxygen to mix with the propane in order burn. The unit will slowly burn up all the oxygen in side the trailer. They do burn clean as long as they have a supply of oxygen and emit only carbon dioxide (not harmful). But carbon dioxide is lighter than air and will rise to the ceiling as the heater burns the height of the oxygen in the room will drop until it falls below the level of the burner. Once that happens the burner can no longer burn clean and starts emitting carbon monoxide (this kills you). Please do not use open flame burners in an enclosed space.
People die every year from doing this!!!!!!
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote