Old 12-09-2013, 07:26 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' International
Golden , Colorado
Frozen black tank

Howdy folks,
We just traded in our 20' Safari for a brand new 2014 30' International signature. It is our 4th year full timing but our first 6 day freeze in the new Airstream. All is well except for one thing. Our black tank froze. The question for you fellow Airstreamers is this. How does a fully insulated black tank freeze? The handle pulls in and out easily which means that we are frozen inside. How far up do you think we may have frozen? The tank is set up in such a way that it can't be wrapped in heat tape. A skirt is in our near future and if we can thaw out we'll pour some antifreeze down there next time the temp drops. Thanks so much for your help!

Old 12-09-2013, 08:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Insulation can not keep things from freezing it can only delay it. If there is not a heat source and the temperature is low enough freezing is the result.

You are most likely frozen just inside the valve and the tank itself may still have liquid because of the aerobic heat generated by the waste. I would put a light bulb, heat lamp, under the valve and hope nothing has already cracked. Not likely as plastic is more forgiving than metal and there is a path of expansion into the tank.

My Kayak mysite.verizon.net/vze54tx9/kayak/
HowieE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
You can also use a blow drier. Just be careful that you don't melt the plastic.
Insulation slows the process of freezing. But it also slows the thawing process.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marklar View Post
Howdy folks,
We just traded in our 20' Safari for a brand new 2014 30' International signature. It is our 4th year full timing but our first 6 day freeze in the new Airstream. All is well except for one thing. Our black tank froze. The question for you fellow Airstreamers is this. How does a fully insulated black tank freeze? The handle pulls in and out easily which means that we are frozen inside. How far up do you think we may have frozen? The tank is set up in such a way that it can't be wrapped in heat tape. A skirt is in our near future and if we can thaw out we'll pour some antifreeze down there next time the temp drops. Thanks so much for your help!
Hi, Did you use your furnace to heat your trailer or some other source of heat? I use an oil filled heater in my trailer except for real cold weather, then I only used my furnace to keep my tanks from freezing.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:12 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2008 34' Classic
1960 17' Pacer
London , Ontario
A couple of pails of hot water should do it. Unusual though usually it is the valve that freezes.

If the valve does freeze pour a couple of gallons of hot water in the end of the sewer hose and then lift the hose up so that it forces the hot water up against the valve. In a couple of minutes you should be able to open the valve. Don't force the handle or you will have just a handle.

Are you planning on extensive winter use?

Andrew T

London, Ontario
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:47 AM   #6
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
On the few occasions our tanks or valves have frozen I have dumped a few gallons of auto wiper fluid down the drain. The alcohol will melt any ice and make slush.
Just make certain it is the winter spec fluid. Works like a charm only if not dilluted by too full tanks!
Old 12-10-2013, 06:37 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' International
Golden , Colorado
Yes, Andrew T, I am a full timer living in Denver, CO so this will be continuous winter use. Today's temp and through the rest of the week will be 40* so I'm hoping the tank will thaw naturally. The water level in the toilet is full, probably due to the freezing, so I can't pour anything down there. I will have to wait it out. I have a space heater out there now to help out, but I work all day, by the tjme I get home its dark out, difficult to troubleshoot in cold temps. I am hoping to come home tonight to a happily draining black tank. Isn't it funny what we take for granted until its gone and find such extreme pleasure in when it returns? Every winter finds us a new lesson to streamline this lifestyle. Loving every minute of it.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:15 PM   #8
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
You may have to build a straw bale wall around the bottom of your trailer and put an electric heater in there.

Here in Canada, where we use a mobile home year round we wrap the pipes with electric heaters. They have a built in thermostat that comes on at 42 degrees. Then wrap with insulation. A stock tank heater can go under your tank. No doubt the local hardware store has the heaters.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:36 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2008 34' Classic
1960 17' Pacer
London , Ontario
Skirting the bottom will warm the Airstream up quite a lot and prevent the tanks from freezing. We put dome fasteners on the lower trim insert. That way if you no longer want the skirt someday you can replace the insert and all the holes are gone. A tent and awning place can make this up for you ususally for only 4-500. If you put an electric heater under there that you can turn on when the temps are really cold it helps a lot.

I would not suggest Straw, we had a customer's unit suffer a lot of damage when the straw caught fire.

Andrew T

London, Ontario
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 06:42 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Pour in some antifreeze through the roof vent.

Perry
Old 01-09-2014, 04:26 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Pittstown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicNo13 View Post
On the few occasions our tanks or valves have frozen I have dumped a few gallons of auto wiper fluid down the drain. The alcohol will melt any ice and make slush.
Just make certain it is the winter spec fluid. Works like a charm only if not dilluted by too full tanks!
I can ditto this recommendation. We have been out in this recent zero degree weather and have had frozen tank valves. I tried various measures; the boiling water, heating pads, etc. but the windshield de-icer worked. I dumped 4 gallons of the Windex automotive windshield de-cer down the grey water drain, waited a couple of hours and was able to dump... Great recommendation!!
Old 01-09-2014, 05:45 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Full Timers just passing through , Arizona for a couple of weeks and then on to Utah!
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f459...yon-98031.html

That link shows some photos of the skirt that I built for our 27 Safari and the water and sewer hook ups. It worked well on the rim of the Grand Canyon last winter with temps around zero.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:04 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
1975 31' Excella 500
Toronto , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to HeirsDreamJJ
Hi Andy et al,
We have skirted just our exterior pipes and valve but with temps in Toronto going so low and staying there so long, we get freezing too. We have solved the issue with a space heater but it tripped the GFCI and then melted the end of the extension cord. I don't know electricity well enough to know, but I'm guessing the heater is too powerful for the extension cord? Thoughts?
Jojo and Rick
2004 SafariSS 25ft
2003 Jeep Liberty
(new to us) 1974 Excella 500 34ft
1964 Glendale
Old 02-09-2014, 09:16 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
1975 31' Excella 500
Toronto , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to HeirsDreamJJ
Full Timing while watching our Reno NOT get done