Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Winter Living
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-03-2003, 07:37 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Freezing while in tow.

Since it is rare to get a hard freeze where we live, winterizing the AS is not necessary. However we must go on a trip to where the temperature is in the low twenties. Now we are loaded and ready to roll, but in about one hour down the road and over the hill we will hit weather below freezing, and it will continue to get even colder and stay that way. According to my AS manual I have drained the city water line to the bathroom shutoff valve and the rest of the plumbing is heated by the furnace. Question, if the road trip is about six hours in freezing weather do I run the furnace while towing to prevent pipe freezing or do we stop and run the furnace every couple of hours to heat the pipes and tanks. The AS manual really does not address this issue very well. We know that we must run the furnace when we get to at our destination, but what about towing.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 07:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

It's ok to run your furnace while towing, just follow the same safety quidelines as with running your refrig. ie turning it off prior to entering a gas station.

It's always an adventure-John
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 07:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

According to my manual:

Remember, when towing at 50mph the wind chill factor will cause the interior of the trailer to cool much faster than a trailer that is parked.

So running your furnace will save your pipes from freezing.

Where are you headed to?
Old 12-03-2003, 07:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Thanks John
The AS manual says that in some states you may not run propane appliances while towing and the bottles must be turned off. Is that true?
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 07:54 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Pulling with the fresh water tank full should not be a problem with freezing since the motion of the traveling will prevent freezing. The rest of the trailer (from the pump out) should be drained and blown out.
Personally I don't pull with the gas on but others do and as long as you don't refuel with gas on it is OK.

Garry
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 07:57 PM   #6
Rivet Master

It states that in mine too, but I'm not familiar with any states that don't allow it.

I know that when entering tunnels you're suppose to turn them off.

Maybe someone will provide a link of the states that don't allow it.

I've been through many and never heard not to.

Enjoy!!!
Old 08-01-2004, 07:58 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Just so some readers don’t get the wrong impression, it should be noted that eventually even moving water will freeze.

Once water reaches 32 degrees it freezes, period. The movement just prevents the localized cooling that would occur at certain points in a tank if the water were calm. With the water mixing during movement, you have to cool virtually all of it before any of it will freeze. In calm water, the water at the coldest point in the tank will freeze much sooner than the water at the warmest point in the tank.

In spite of that, during most travel the water in the holding tanks won’t freeze because it doesn’t get cold enough before you stop and warm it up with the furnace. It would have to be exceptionally cold, and you would have to stay on the road for a long time before a full tank would freeze.

A full tank will remain liquid longer than a partially full one, since there is more water to cool down.

Loren
Old 08-01-2004, 11:14 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Additionally, the chemicals and salts in the grey and black water holding tanks would lower the freezing point to below 32 degrees thus preventing them from freezing unless it was very bitterly cold.
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 07:07 AM   #9
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Whether you run the furnace or not, It would be a good idea to drain your waste tanks before leaving, and pour a little antifreeze into the drains. Just a little extra insurance.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote