Old 02-18-2008, 07:57 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
atlanta , Georgia
Thanks 47 - looking at your pics it seems like you have the beginning of an AS collection. Nohill - I have two portable butane stove top burners that cook better than the redicoulous Viking Professional we have at home, (btw - easy to clean and completely stable with no rattles) I also have an electric toaster oven and best of all a small 'Big Green Egg' which is my cooking apparatus of choice.

nunya001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 08:02 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
atlanta , Georgia
Ok - here are a few things I learned. I am an idiot for not installing radiant heat floors. I am almost tempted to take it all apart to do it. Another area I didn't pay enough attention to was the window seals/gaskets - my windows function great, but not even close to air tight. That is being dealt with right now - if anyone has any recs on suppliers of vintage seals please let me know. Will post more later.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:05 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
FAYETTEVILLE , Arkansas
Inland RV. They are a great source
Old 02-18-2008, 10:08 AM   #18
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Nunya-very cool AS and very cool that you use it for skiing (which we would lke to do). We have a couple of practical questions;

Are you camping with hookups?
How do you deal with the freezing temps and water hookup?

How do you expect to maintain that shine after driving through snow/salt/crap...I can 't help thinking; even if we could work around the previous issues (yes I know, a genset and use internal water tank only) it would take the rest of the summer to clean off all the road salt!

Thanx, Bill
Old 02-18-2008, 10:46 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
atlanta , Georgia
Hey Bill - Thanks. I did camp with hook ups this year, but next year I may not. In a month of skiing I only had to empty my tank 4 times and only filled fresh water 4 times. You can very easily do a water hook up instead of tankuse - but you need heat tape and you need to set it up right the first time. Ok - let me qualify that - all of my plumbing is inside and gets radiant heat from a duct that runs from the furnace underneath the tables, around the back of the shower and comes out underneath the bathroom sink. As far as shine - I'm a total newbie and I don't have an answer based on experience. The polishing was only finished 2 days before I left - so no wax or any other protection was applied. Now parts have to be buffed out again, not the full grind, but still need work. Knowing what I know now. . . I will definitely make sure a protective wax is applied, (any more robust suggestions are welcome)I will give it a rince before I park it for the duration of my ski vacation and prior to any highway driving I will apply a clear adhesive that is similar as to what is used on new cars for open trailer transport - like a windshield tear off. I do some road racing, etc. . . lot's of good ideas and knowledge in that area can be applied here.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:04 AM   #20
Certifiable

. , .
Cool trailer!

More pics please! of powda if you have 'em

I'm sooo close to getting an Egg. I was thinking med (family of 3). Is small all you really need?

I'd love to see the refrig/closet setup a little more closely too.

Thanks
Old 02-18-2008, 11:20 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Yes, I'd really like to see some more close-up, detailed shots of your trailer as well. I'm looking to buy and renovate a vintage AS within the next year, and although I likely won't go quite as minimal as you have, I really like the way yours looks.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:28 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
atlanta , Georgia
If you're not traveling with your Egg - go as big as you can, the one at home is a large Primo and again trumps the over priced viking professional all day long. But for the road the small one suffices. Sorry - I don't ski with a camera, only an Ipod. But here's a 'Powdahound' instead. Torin seeks and disturbs fresh powder like it is instinctual
Old 02-18-2008, 11:28 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
atlanta , Georgia
more detailed pics soon - definitely before my summer kite surfing trip
Old 02-21-2008, 11:18 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Sun Valley , Idaho
Green Egg

Hi nunya, Sorry you did not catch my cute daughter in Steamboat but sounds
like you were warm & snug and had some fine turns in the champagne powder
Now the question...What is the green egg?? This is a small town but we do get out & about some and I have backpacked & camped all my life but I must
have missed out on the green egg. I assume it is a stove but what kind?
Next year if you boondock y'all will sure need a solar panel. We camp on our
property in Steamboat for a couple weeks at a time. Have you looked at the
state park at Stagecoach? Warm Regards & Happy trails Betty PS will you
be going to Hood River in Oregon for your surf & kite trip?
Old 02-22-2008, 11:52 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
atlanta , Georgia
Hey Betty - Yes, it was a stellar month of skiing - will be going next year in January instead of December due to some other travel plans. The green egg or perhaps better known as "The Big Green Egg" is a kamado oven. They've been around for thousands of years - originally I beleive in China even though the name sounds Japanese. What's so special about them is that they use all natural wood charcoal, they're easy to light and can get to over 1000 degrees of even heat in about 15-20 minutes. The heat is very controllable though - you can regulate it at any temperature once you get the hang of it. The flavor the natural charcoal gives is unreal. I'd love to have some proprty in Steamboat, but with real estate prices as they are, it's not as easy as it used to be. I haven't made any definite plans for next year - will possibly pass through SB on my way back to ATL this summer - btw - yes Mt. Hood is on the top of my list - one of my favorite places on the planet. Where is your proprty in Steamboat?