Old 09-03-2013, 07:07 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Mt Pleasant , South Carolina
Electric oil heaters

I use an electric oil heater to heat my greenhouse. I can heat it very well with this heater. Since they are dry heat and saying you have electric hook up has anyone used one of these in their AS to heat or to supplement the heat in the AS. I can heat my GH to 80 degrees with not to much electric useage.Everyone seems to say to not use a AS in cold places but I want a AS. I have found no other TT that tows or last like a AS. So with that what do you all think or do.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:30 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by beetlebob View Post
Since they are dry heat and saying you have electric hook up has anyone used one of these in their AS to heat or to supplement the heat in the AS.
Dry or wet heat isn't the only issue. Unlike a greenhouse that you occupy part-time, when you're in your Airstream, you're in there overnight at least, and potentially round-the-clock when the weather is nasty.

Is the oil heater smoky?

How much carbon monoxide does it put out?

You need to consider these issues as well. You may consider them and decide there's no problem, but at least consider them.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

"In a perfect world, I'd be given enough time to wrap up one emergency before the next one starts." Freefall2013
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:41 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Oil heater is one of the ones you buy at Wall Mart. Vacuum filled electric oil heater with a thermostat on it. I have tropicals in the GH that need 75 to 80 degrees. I am in Charleston SC but it does get cold here.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:04 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
McHenry , Illinois
We have a couple of these heaters. We do use them in the Airstream and in the mobile home. My wife likes the fact that they make no fan noise. They work well but do not stop the condensation problem, since the condensation problem is caused by the moisture expelled by the humans and others in the trailer and the fact that the Airstream is pretty air tight (if you do not leave a window partially open). They do take up more room than the little cube ceramic heaters. Their low temperature makes sure you do not burn yourself or start a fire.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:05 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
I do like the oil radiators and a fan for circulation better than ceramic heaters. They are really quiet, but take a while to heat up and take up more floor space. Like everything else, pluses and minuses.

I had a Honeywell oil radiator with a digital thermostat and the thermostat failed. One of my neighbors had the same problem. His got so hot that the plastic wheels melted. I found a programmable thermostat that plugs into an outlet and you plug your heater into it, a Lux WIN100 Heating & Cooling Programmable Outlet Thermostat. Just buy a cheaper heater without the thermostat built-in and turn it up. The outlet thermostat does the controlling. I'm very pleased with mine.

The outlet thermostat and a cheaper heater come to about the price of a heater with the thermostat built-in, but it's more versatile. You can program times for it to adjust the temperature and even different schedules for the weekend.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:35 AM   #6
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Is the oil heater smoky?

How much carbon monoxide does it put out?
Obviously I was thinking of oil-fired heaters, not oil-filled heat exchangers. What can I say? I'm an idiot.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

"In a perfect world, I'd be given enough time to wrap up one emergency before the next one starts." Freefall2013
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:40 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I have used my little oil filled heater for several years and like it. Being close to my thermostat, it interferes with my furnace, so in really cold areas I let my furnace work so my tanks won't freeze.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:06 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
As far as heating with electricity, a cube heater, Dyson heater, oil filled radiator, or any electric heater, the physics and facts are that each watt of input produces 3.41 btuh of heat output, no matter which kind you use. One electric heater using 1400 watts (common use) produces 4774 btuh of output. There is no way around that fact. 14 light bulbs each at 100 watts will also produce the same amount of heat. No more, no less. By the way, all electric heaters, and your propane furnace in the Airstream are "dry" heat, that is they contribute no moisture to the heated space.

Your propane furnace will put out 4 to 6 times that amount of heat per hour, and in cold weather more than one 1400 watt electric heater will be needed to keep your rig warm.

I have used the oil filled electric radiator type heaters and find them quiet, comfortable and even in their output, but somewhat bulky to have around. As to the amount of heat they produce, it is the same as any other heater of the same wattage input.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:07 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I like oil filled heaters. They are safe, quiet and reliable. I used to use one a lot to supplament the furnace when I used to go camping and skiing in W Virginia. I used the heater in the bedroom. Like all other electric heaters their heat output is limited to 1,500 watts.

Dan
Old 09-03-2013, 10:29 AM   #10
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
If they look like this, we love them, have them fore and aft. They are quiet, efficient and don't have the moisture application that propane has.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2603heater.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	319.5 KB
ID:	194882  
Old 09-03-2013, 02:26 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Thanks everyone. I was wondering about moisture since the cat heaters put in moisture when in use. Funny thing is in my GH the heaters(ceramic) type could never keep the house at a constant temp only the oil filled can. Since both produce same BTUs this I can not figure out. Anyone????
Old 09-03-2013, 03:46 PM   #12

1975 Argosy 24
1976 Argosy 28
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Thanks everyone. I was wondering about moisture since the cat heaters put in moisture when in use. Funny thing is in my GH the heaters(ceramic) type could never keep the house at a constant temp only the oil filled can. Since both produce same BTUs this I can not figure out. Anyone????
Your ceramic heater probably has a poor thermostat, a poorly-located thermostat or both. That's the usual problem with inexpensive heaters, and I suspect from the amount of love the Dyson Hot gets, it has a thermostat that's either well-isolated from the hot air stream or has circuitry to compensate. As idroba said, for resistive heat there's a fixed ratio for watts input vs. BTUs output.

Il Carriaggio 1975 Argosy 24 | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 08:15 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
I'm thinking the oil-filled heater provides a more even heat because the hot oil acts like hot rocks. IE, even when the heating element cycles off as the heat reaches the target level, the hot oil keeps providing some residual heat.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:28 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2010 31' Classic
Crestview , Florida
We have had this heater in both of our units. We installed in the bedroom since we mostly needed the heat at night. It,s bolted to the floor and the wall. It,s the best heating source that we found for our confined space. It does not rob the air of oxygen just heats it up.
We also like to heat our towels on it. Feels so good when you get out of the shower to wrap yourself with a warmed up towel.
Yes, you guessed it. This was written by a woman.