Old 01-03-2015, 10:27 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We use a portable electric heater in our Airstream (see Avatar) in the Southwest all winter, every winter for the last five years. Tried a simple fan/electric coil heater and the heat was not well regulated nor distributed throughout the Airstream. Tried a liquid radiator heater, is was very hot to the touch and the heat was concentrated near the heater.

Tried the Dyson Hot (often sale coupons or great prices on refurbished), it is quiet, the heat is near perfectly regulated throughout the trailer right where you adjust it, and is mixes the air so it is not hot but a large quantity of warm air moving through it and being pushed throughout the trailer.

Good on its own in our Airstream down to near freezing outside, then needs furnace assist. That is also good because the furnace can then circulate warm air into the plumbing under the floor. We use them together in freezing temps, with the Dyson set at a desirable room temperature and the furnace thermostat set quite low while we sleep, maybe 60 F.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 11:17 AM   #16
rbs
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
Dyson

Prices range from $200 - $400, bargain being refurbished. I like the evenly distributed heat, but some reviewers claim the unit to be "noisy". Anyone know what the recall was for, purchased a refurbished model, and do you consider them noisy?? I do like the size of the unit and the features.
Thanks

Old 01-03-2015, 11:41 AM   #17
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Dyson. I've had the other types as well. I keep a quite ordinary one in the TT as supplement. I bought my first Pelonis Disc in 1990.

The Dyson was recalled, refurbished and has a new two year warranty (I've had it two years). It is excellent for moving warmth around a large area vis-a-vis TT sizes. Quietly though not silently. Certainly more quiet than the furnace stopping and starting though.

My TT is 35'. Rear bedroom. A long ways from the front lounge. If I want to just heat a local area versus running the furnace (or just reducing its run time) the Dyson has proven ideal for keeping me comfortable at either end of the TT. As to heat provided it is far better than the heat strip in some A/C units where airflow is directed.

Local area in the above use is 15-20'. Not 5-10' as with an ordinary space heater. It will keep my entire bedroom warm and not run constantly on 40F nights. It is best at 50F and up as a single heat source for one half of the TT.

So, for electricity consumed and relative area warmed I find it very good and am happy to recommend it.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 12:06 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
This is a pretty good list of some quality space heaters: 6 Energy-Saving Portable Electric Space Heaters : TreeHugger

I have number 2, the DeLonghi. I particularly like the options for high and low settings, the eco mode, and the minimum 45 setting to keep the trailer thawed when I'm not staying in it.

Stan
Salt Lake City
Old 01-03-2015, 12:12 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Cave Creek , Arizona
http://www.costco.com/.product.100137154.html

I love the Dyson, it's about 24" high. I chose it do to the reviews on Airstream forums. I was very happy to find it from Costco, barely any risk to trying it out as you can return it.0
Old 01-03-2015, 01:18 PM   #20
Rivet Master

The government did a study

All electric heaters are very close in efficiency. The heaters with fans use more, but I don't like the wind or the noise.

The study said $70 heaters do as good of job as the $300 Edenpures. We had two Edenpures and elements didn't last but a few years. Edenpure says that they are safer

I have used my $70 oil filled for over ten years, and liked them, but they do weigh more
Old 01-03-2015, 02:14 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Charleston , South Carolina
I have two oil filled radiator type that are pushing 20 years old and still going strong. I haven't bought a new space heater in a long time so I'm out of touch with newest models. But for what it's worth, my general experience is that the oil radiators are the way to go as a continuous heat source. Silent and steady heat. And the convection currents they establish spread the heat pretty well. They do need some floor space so might not be too practical in an airstream.
Old 01-03-2015, 02:40 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
Prices range from $200 - $400, bargain being refurbished. I like the evenly distributed heat, but some reviewers claim the unit to be "noisy". Anyone know what the recall was for, purchased a refurbished model, and do you consider them noisy?? I do like the size of the unit and the features.
Thanks
We had one new and two refurbished Dysons because we also use them at home. The recall was for a possible internal wiring short. We took them all to UPS who packaged and shipped them on Dyson's dollar, Dyson then sent us three brand new Dysons as replacement. Woot.com just had a sale on refurbished Dyson Hot for $150; that's how we got two of ours originally and they looked and worked like new.

The fan makes fan noise, which isn't much. You can select many fan speeds, the desired temperature, on/off, or an oscillating feature as needed with a handy little remote control. We set ours in the front of the Airstream at night sending heat back through the entire trailer including our bedroom. I don't hear it at night and the heat is even throughout the trailer.

Old 01-07-2015, 03:29 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLNomad View Post
I just got one of the Broan Nutone 6201 heaters. Im still testing it out and comparing it with my Walmart cheapie heater. I like that the Broan is really small, light and blows really hot...has gotten good reviews from other rv'ers.
Amazon.com - Broan-NuTone (6201) Big Heat Heater -
LilNomad
This is what I use. The Broan is small, metal, reasonably quiet and puts out as much heat as any 1500 watt heater. The price will not break the bank.
Old 01-07-2015, 04:01 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
My electric oil filled radiator works great, but its kinda heavy and awkward to move around.
Old 01-07-2015, 04:13 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We bought the Broan mentioned in post #22 by handn in our VW Camper days. Nice extremely compact and durable metal case. The fan gave out the first year but Broan sent us a new heater to replace it. We still have it, now use the Dyson for better heat distribution and regulation.

Old 01-13-2015, 04:04 AM   #26
rbs
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
Dyson

Thanks for the heads up on "Woot". Signed up and low and behold, they offered a Dyson for the $150 purchase price and only $5 shipping. Waiting on it's arrival, and will give a report after some use. Again, thanks for turning me on to Woot.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:37 PM   #27
Tom and Phyllis

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Tuscaloosa , Alabama
For the front bed Flying Cloud I use a 4 foot baseboard heater attached to the floor next to the wall, just like you would use it at home. It has a built-in thermostat which I had to order it as an add-on. Totally quiet. And here is another I found on Amazon, but I did not see it when I purchased mine at Home Depot. Fahrenheat FBE15002 Dual Wattage Electric 5120 BTU Baseboard Heater, 1500/1000-watt #energyEfficiencyTitleInformation { font-size: 19px !important;}
by Fahrenheat
LD Valley w/ 800 lb trunion bars
Honda eu3000is generator
Lucky Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 10:44 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, this is the one; Virtually no noise, no fans, no red glow, no air depletion, not square, not large, and not expensive either.
Attached Images

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote