Old 02-03-2015, 09:56 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Greensboro , North Carolina
Heating the Airstream

Well, I was toasty with the propane over night, but would make at least one comment regarding heating an AS.
AirstreamREV_2009_Int_27FB_Snow_04.2010-4 by Fantinesvoice.com, on Flickr

The single pane windows.... maybe using a plastic film over the screen to create a thermal zone. Ceiling vents, A/C, etc. can be insulated, possibly covering the outside units can reduce heat loss.

I can imagine even putting a cover on the entire trailer roof so as to create a dead air zone...like a rain cover on a tent. Doing something to stop any airflow under the trailer may be helpful as well, the ground can be a source of above freezing temps.

The secret, IMO, of heating bills being reduced is to lower the energy losses. Almost anything done in this theme will reap great rewards.

Or, move down to my land near El Moro.....LOL

AIR #31871 WBAC #4165 K4MTL

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 10:57 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets travel View Post
You must of really thought this out!
I am an engineer by background. I used to teach courses in energy costs and management. What I outlined is the standard way to compare energy fuel costs.

The OP wanted to know which was more expensive, propane or electricity to heat with. Numbers and factual data, not opinions, are the only way to answer the question.

The same cost per Therm system can be used to compare any fuel, Oil, Natural Gas, Pellet fuel, Propane, Electricity, and so on.

In my own home I used this exact same system to find that when Propane went up to over $2.50 a gal that it was cheaper to use electricity to heat my house, hot water, and so on with than stay with Propane. With my propane costs and electric costs, electricity is the current winner. But each location in the country is different. What is true in Idaho will be different in CO, TX or any other location. You cannot generalize energy costs. When I set up my own home for Propane fuel, it was the best cost. Now electricity is cheaper.

Remember the old Dragnet series from the '50s? Just the facts .... was the tag line Joe Friday used when asking questions.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:56 AM   #17
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
The OP wanted to know which was more expensive, propane or electricity to heat with. Numbers and factual data, not opinions, are the only way to answer the question.

I prefer conjecture and opinion polls... And loud arguments! The louder you yell, the righter you are. And, if you type in all caps, it really carries some authority...

I'm right on this, don't try pulling all that engineering mumbo jumbo on me.

-Red, nothing to add really, but I don't let that stop me...
Old 02-03-2015, 07:50 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I know you are teasing me Red... grin. We can have fun here too.
Old 02-04-2015, 03:34 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Probably the cheapest source of energy would be to park over a geo-thermal vent and let the steam wrap the trailer in a cocoon of warm moist air.

However, the moisture running down the inside walls might cause a flooring issue down the road.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 04:25 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
ottawa (greely) , Ontario
If you have a 1500 watt electric heater running 24 hours a day that would be 36 kWh just for that one heater per day so per month that would be 1116 kwh . That's more then double what my family uses per month total electricity for the four of us in our 1600square foot (plus another 1600 for basement )bungalow in canada with a electric hot water heater,I'm heating with wood,our monthly usage is around 450kwh per month . Yes aluminum dissipate heat about four times faster then steel so a airstream is very hard to heat. A.c , electric heat ,hot water electric. Heater ,convection microwave when using the convection mode ,are the big electrical loads ,

Don
2012 silverado ext cab 4x4 ,5.3 L , 6 speed trans,3:42 final drive,tow package standard box 6 1/2 foot . 2014 honda forza 300 scooter, #2 2015 honda crf 250 L (Dual sport)
scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 11:37 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' International
Englewood , Colorado
hey everyone, fantastic insight. you're right. my calculations were wrong. i wrote 100 gallon tank. that's incorrect. i meant 100 lb tank for $80. anyway, i'm taking away from this post many ideas to lower my energy bills and understand that electric vs propane is very similar in cost. i will continue with the balancing act between the two and post back with hopeful intentions of lowering the cost for both in the next month. you all rock! thanks for all the help!

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 02-05-2015, 01:47 PM   #22
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Safety is the more important question; the larger question.

Taxing the electrical system is the worst sort of "economy". False economy.

I run the AC hard in my climate. It has the wiring and circuitry to accommodate this. Plugging a space heater into a wall outlet for cold weather comfort that does not have this dedicated wiring and circuitry is where increased safety risk does come up.

Accept that the comfort cost is far higher per square foot on a TT, and that prudence dictates using the TT as designed. Furnace in main, and electric for spot heating only.

Economy of a TT is built into cheaper ground rent annually, not lower operational costs as to HVAC.

As in above posts, exterior skirting and interior storm windows are the major ways of maintaining constant interior temps.

To that end are threads both here and on Woodalls.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 01:58 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marklar View Post
hey everyone, fantastic insight. you're right. my calculations were wrong. i wrote 100 gallon tank. that's incorrect. i meant 100 lb tank for $80. anyway, i'm taking away from this post many ideas to lower my energy bills and understand that electric vs propane is very similar in cost. i will continue with the balancing act between the two and post back with hopeful intentions of lowering the cost for both in the next month. you all rock! thanks for all the help!

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
100 # tank is only 25 gal of propane. 25 gal at $80 is $3.20 a gal. That is 4 times the cost that you had given earlier, which makes the calculations I showed very different. But then I thought your electric cost per kWh was too low also. To make a comparison between fuel costs the input data will need to be accurate.