Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2009, 07:03 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
Dust?

I'm in my second month of full timing and everthing is great but one thing I notice is that dust seems to accumulate very quickly. In the warmer months this isn't an issue since I have my windows open. I was wondering if anyone knows of a small gadget that cleans the air...perhaps with a removable washable filter? I also heard that certain plants help with the air quality and I would love to get some plants. I only have one cactus now..and its dying. I'm in the Portland, Oregon area and I don't get much sun.

Thanks for any tips.
Smoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:25 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' International CCD FB
Everett , Washington
We get a lot of dust in ours as well. But then it's parked in a campground with a dirt and gravel road. We find that doormats (inside and out) help alot with tracking dust IN the trailer. I just sweep and sweep...

Oh and it doesn't help that our electric blanket lints all over the place (despite numerous washings)... just adds to the sweeping and the dust...

Someone I know keeps a HEPA filter in his 'stream... maybe that will help?

(Eau Claire, WI... drove through there in Sept on the way to visit family in Spooner.)
/Lois
WBCCI #4018

Just call us Jean & Bill :-)
HankandLois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Uh...

You may not like this, but YOU are possibly the biggest source of dust in your Airstream. Dead skin cells.

Yep, dead skin cells. In such a small area there is no place else for them to go. Between showering, changing and drying your hair you create a lot of dead skin cells. Then there's the normal shedding inside your clothing and abrading against the sheets (NOW no comments about THAT! )

Of course the amount of dirt you tromp in because you don't walk on sidewalk prior to entering your door adds to the mess.

So what's the solution? Well in a small trailer only a very small vaccuum cleaner is practical. Frankly a broom and and some good microfiber dusting rags are faster and do a better job. I've tried dusting sprays and pledge - which I do like to keep water marks off the formica round the sink, but most of the time I just moisten the microfiber rag. I generally go over all the horizontal surfaces daily, and do a quick sweepdown at least two to three times a week. I find that if I don't wipe down the bare aluminum interior at least once every six weeks, it does get a film that is probably mostly breath and cooking moisture.

I have an uncarpeted A/S, and have two rugs that run down the length to keep my feet warm. I find it helps a lot to take those outside and whack them over a picnic table from time to time. I also use a very small shark vacuum on them about once a week or so. I do replace the rugs rather than trying to clean them.

Short of changing clothing outside of the Airstream and always using a bath house to shower, you're going to just have to keep up with it. Of course if you've got dry skin, a good lotion or shower gel might help.

Paula

PS: One thing I got tired of RIGHT away was a down comforter. I even tossed my down pillows and went to a high end down substitute. Those tiny little featherlets drove me crazy.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
During warmer weather, a lot of dust gets drawn in through my roof vents when the vent fan is on. It creates a convection that circulates the air and transfers outside air with inside air. With that comes airborn dust.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:47 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
hmm...thanks for the tips. I was hoping there was a magical device that I could just plug in and it would do all the work for me. I guess I'll have learn how to dust. This is a brand new concept for me.
Smoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 06:10 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Nothing "magic" about this one, but we bought a small Dirt Devil, I believe is the brand, vacuum cleaner and keep it in the trailer, and it does a great job.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:40 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
A small vacuum cleaner that we have found very good, particularly for carpets, in our Airstream is the Eureka "Quick Up" as shown here: Quick Up™ 71B | The perfect vacuum for stairs, furniture, autos and more. . For the dust that seems to get everywhere, we commonly use a damp sponge or paper towel.
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:26 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
...we got a little shark vacuum for @ 30.00 and it has that filter system and really really sucks the tiny things out...and then you get to see them when you empty it out side...best vacuum we've ever had, got it at walmart...also we use an air ionizer while we are out and about...we've heard ups and downs about this air machine...but we give it a thumbs up. If you have a compressor you can use it to blow out the air filter trap in the vacuum too, otherwise you have to wash it out...Oklahoma is cursed with dust and wind...but the Bible says 'the wise reed bends with the wind' That cactus might be root bound. Nice to meet you.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:32 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
A small vacumn sweeper for carpets - a new wide paint brush to clean the blinds - and a swifter for flat surfaces - works every time.
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 11:27 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Excella
PATAGONIA , Arizona
very clean

Yes... years ago I had a air cleaner for small rooms. It works off a - + charge and is about the size of an old VCR. Plus you can take this small wheel out and wash it. Bars have the same kind only bigger (for all the smoke). I do remember it working very well. Good luck and be well - Thomas
TIMETOGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 12:24 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
San Luis Obispo , California
Find a small HEPA filter. They are absolutely the best for filtering air... much better and much healthier than ozone filters. Some HEPA filters are even washable. I know the original post is a bit old, but others may be interested in air filters so thought I'd add my 2 cents.
wbrownrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 09:31 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
orlando , New Mexico, Utah, Colorado
Paula, I bought some el cheapo carpets from w mart (rubber bottomed are superior for non slipping) and wash them occasionally in a commercial front loader. Much less expensive than replacing.

Dust is the biggest drawback to camping for me. I want to set up a digital darkroom, impossible.

WBCCI #3841
jacarape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 11:57 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
1960 24' Tradewind
1961 16' Bambi
Oakland , California
Got Dust?

Paula,

We've found that having Astroturf or an outdoor carpet set up outside the trailer helps keep the dust down. We also have woven cotton runners that run throughout the trailer. We shake them out and then wash them in our front loading washer when we get back home.

Those little spider plants are supposed to be rather efficient at providing oxygen while processing carbon dioxide and they're very easy to take care of.

Other than that we just suck it up (pun intended), blow it out and suck it up (literally) with our Rainbow vaccuum, and do an all over wipe down with damp towels.

Best of luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Burnstream Court Sand Storm 083008.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	79562