Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Winter Living
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-24-2008, 08:51 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic
Windsor , Ontario
Destination S/W Florida...

Group :

We have owned our Safari 25 for a few years now & have travelled down to Florida for a number of years each Dec, exploring to try to find an ideal spot to base ourselves for the winter season.

So far, the Sun & Fun campground in Sarasota is the front-runner of all the places we've seen...& we have become fairly confident that S/W Florida is well suited for us since we also own a sailboat & love being near the water.

Retirement is fast approaching & as we will be on a fixed pention (cost is an important concern...) & we plan on being south for the winters from Nov 15 til May 15 each year...I'm wondering if any of you might suggest any good quality, economical spots that we might have missed seeing, due to our lack of local knowledge.

Many thanks in advance to those who respond.

P.
Paul Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:07 AM   #2
Bytes Cafe
Commercial Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Malabar , Florida
East Coast

Go to Breezypalmsrv.com and check it out. Has some pic's it is in Palm Bay Florida.
bytes cafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 12:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
I didn't think that "economical" and "SW Florida" had anything in common - especially Sarasota! Though it is a beautiful area. Someone posted a trip report here recently that included the campground at Myakka State Park (among others). I stayed in the cabins there awhile ago and thought it was really nice - scenic. Don't know how close it is to a place for sailing access though ....
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 04:13 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
Not south west Florida - but you should check out Land Yacht Harbor in Melbourne Florida - they have a website.
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 05:11 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2001 16' Bambi
2013 23' International
Piedmont Region , North Carolina
S/W Fl Campgrounds

Check out Travel World in Clearwater. Lots of good folks from Canada among the winter-over regulars. Very nice management team, well kept place. Privately owned.
tinbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 05:42 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
My parents lived in Melbourne, Florida , for almost 30 years and no offense to the folks that live there but there are not that many things to do in the area. We are taking a trip to NW Florida the first week of March to check out from Destin to Crystal River.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:25 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Between Here , And There
Paul,

If you enjoyed Fun & Sun you should give Sarasota Lakes RV resort a try. They are located on University Parkway in Sarasota close to everything. This is a park that is 75% park models and 25% trailers and motor homes. A very diverse age group and a lot of activities, not to mention all the activities in Sarasota. You can do a google search to get the office phone number. Prices quoted through the office are a bit higher than if you find an individual to rent from.
fltlevel510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 12:37 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinbender View Post
Check out Travel World in Clearwater. Lots of good folks from Canada among the winter-over regulars. Very nice management team, well kept place. Privately owned.
North of this is the nature coast, Crystal River and if your sailboat is less than 4 ft draft. Much less expensive, but for each degree latitude you can get a couple of degrees colder.
Depending on what you need in a park, we have low to expensive. The key word seems to be resort in the name.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 01:32 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quail Run RV park in Wesley Chapel Fl, just north of Tampa, has special rates for retirees. We stayed there for a year and it's vey nice and the owners are great.

It is very close to all major attractions, and the beaches.

Marie
Old 09-27-2009, 04:09 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari
Jasper , Georgia
Check campgroundreviews.com

Be sure to check campgroundreviews.com for opinions about parks you are considering. I was going to recommend Ramblers Rest in Venice FL to you, but a recent review says that new management is not taking good care of the place.

Venice is a smaller city just south of Sarasota that my parents have lived in for 30 years.
Paul&Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 04:50 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul&Dee View Post
Be sure to check campgroundreviews.com for opinions about parks you are considering. I was going to recommend Ramblers Rest in Venice FL to you, but a recent review says that new management is not taking good care of the place.

Venice is a smaller city just south of Sarasota that my parents have lived in for 30 years.

My wife and I enjoy Venice - just a nice size, yet has all you need including good beaches.

We normally stay at the "Royal Coachman" RV park in Nokomis, just a mile or so north of Venice. It is a very nice park with great facilities, but not cheap.

Recently we having been spending more winters in Arizona, but I think we may just head back to Florida this year, so I'll watch thise thread with interest!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 04:50 PM   #12
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Travelers Rest near Dade City, has more to offer than any other park in FLA perhaps.

You can live there very reasonably

Mostly Airstreams

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 06:34 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
LaSalle , Michigan
Encore Park in Nokomis is very nice and close to Nokomis Beach. Also, Rambler's Rest south of Venice is a little more out of town. Both are just of I-75 in the Venice area. I have visited friends at both places, but have never parked there. Venice is a great area for boating.
Redcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 04:56 AM   #14
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
please take your cap lock off

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 06:33 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by danalee View Post
My parents lived in Melbourne, Florida , for almost 30 years and no offense to the folks that live there but there are not that many things to do in the area. We are taking a trip to NW Florida the first week of March to check out from Destin to Crystal River.
Hmmm.... That's interesting - thanks for mentioning this. I'm trying to plan a Florida trip for next (early) spring and was thinking of Melbourne Beach (Melbourne Beach Outdoor Resorts of America). They seem to receive great reviews on campgroundreviews.com

I've never been to Melbourne Beach. Been to St. Augustine, Daytona, and Tampa area many times. Wanted to try something different this year. Want a beach, a pool and a Target (not in any particular order). We're a couple of working Canadians with 2 kids who want to find R&R for a few weeks down in the Florida sun...

But I may have to re-think my decision, or else do a bit more research on the matter.

Good luck with everyone's Florida travel plans.

Cheers
Old 05-14-2010, 08:26 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
FOLKS,

There's a bunch of us following this thread. We're planning to winter in FL starting next winter but have no idea of where to go. We've never been. We've been thinking about AZ and have done days of research but when we think of brown desert and no shade, FL keeps looking better. We don't know a thing about FL except my father lived in Kissimmee for 25 years after his retirement - I only visited in July and found it to be very hot! When I did get there in the winter, I found traffic to be nearly unbearable with the DIsney crowd. We're thinking further south might be more enjoyable - but again, no idea about where. We've been studying Trailer Life's reports on all the cgs and then checking rvparkreviews - wouldn't go anywhere without them! Nothing like comments from real travelers to know about a campground so PLEASE keep your comments coming - we (and I know there must be others) are watching anxiously. Thank you for the thread.
pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 06:30 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 Argosy 28
1978 Argosy 24
Travelers Rest , South Carolina
Last winter we had no idea where we want to go in Florida. Then we found Paradise Park and Punta Gorda Florida. We love the area and things to do. The park is out of town so you don't have to deal with the noise and traffic that you would find in a tourist location. We bought in Paradise during our second visit and love the park and people. I think it is probablly one of the best deals in SW Florida. There are several places availabe for sale and rent there now. Large heated swimming pool and all the golf you want on our 9 hole course. We would love some of you to come visit.
PS It is a 55+ community
stillcove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 05:20 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic
Windsor , Ontario
Pilgrim ; Have a look at this place...we really love it there... Vacation Rental Homes, Sarasota. Florida. Mobile Home parks, RV Rentals, Camps Tenting, Vacation homes for Sale in Sarasota Florida

Cheers, P.
Paul Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 05:47 PM   #19
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillcove View Post
Last winter we had no idea where we want to go in Florida. Then we found Paradise Park and Punta Gorda Florida. We love the area and things to do. The park is out of town so you don't have to deal with the noise and traffic that you would find in a tourist location. We bought in Paradise during our second visit and love the park and people. I think it is probablly one of the best deals in SW Florida. There are several places availabe for sale and rent there now. Large heated swimming pool and all the golf you want on our 9 hole course. We would love some of you to come visit.
PS It is a 55+ community

AHHHHHHHH, that rings a bell ....!! I have been there a few times doing service work on the large class 'A' diesels that are in the park in winter. IIRC, it used to be an Airstream Only park, but then changed to letting anyone over 55 in to purchase or rent. Still a good number of airstreams residing in the park. It sure is quiet out there....miles from anywhere...........
lewster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 06:33 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Pelham , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfrodge View Post
Hmmm.... That's interesting - thanks for mentioning this. I'm trying to plan a Florida trip for next (early) spring and was thinking of Melbourne Beach (Melbourne Beach Outdoor Resorts of America). They seem to receive great reviews on campgroundreviews.com

I've never been to Melbourne Beach. Been to St. Augustine, Daytona, and Tampa area many times. Wanted to try something different this year. Want a beach, a pool and a Target (not in any particular order). We're a couple of working Canadians with 2 kids who want to find R&R for a few weeks down in the Florida sun...

But I may have to re-think my decision, or else do a bit more research on the matter.

Good luck with everyone's Florida travel plans.

Cheers

We spent two winter seasons at this place and loved it. Lots to do and nice people. We are building a house in Clermont so we won't be there but we think this place is great. PS...lots of Canadians!
bobandcarla is offline   Reply With Quote