Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2007, 11:12 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Seattle , Washington
Custom Skirting for Winter

We're full-timing in a 31' classic, spending the winter up and down the Rockies. We ran into some another airstream owner a few days ago and they mentioned that there is a vendor that makes fabric skirts for every model of airstream. We're looking for a portable option like a canvas skirt that we can put up and take down relatively easily but we don't have a lot of time (or great handyperson skills) to make one ourselves.

Has anyone heard of such a thing for sale?

Thanks much!
jmd5602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 11:18 PM   #2
_

. , .
hi jmd...

the info you received is partly correct...

zip dee does make acrylic skirting for the tire area...

but it isn't a winter insulator.'

i know of no vendor that makes a/s skirting that has ANY winter/thermal value.

search here for 'skirting' and some threads will appear...

or check out the 'winter living' section....

the best job of skirting i've seen here was done by davidh...

here is his info and pix....

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f462...eam-20597.html

cheers
2air

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 06:30 AM   #3
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Hey someone else who owns a 31 classic! Cool.
I too am interested in what i can do th "skirt" my trailer. It looks like I will be spending some time in it Boise this winter. Since the trailer will not be moving. I was thinking 2" foam board wedged under the trailer. Looks bad but it will keep the cold from underneath.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 12:09 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2022 16' Bambi
2022 Atlas
Sioux Falls , Arkansas
I have been interested in a heavy canvas or vinyl skirting also. I have not been able to find any full skirting made for an AS. I would like to know if there is a company that makes them. 'shaker
fr8tshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 06:23 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
YURT Stream

I know people who make yurts - Mongol tents - the neat thing about these are that the exterior walls are hinged latticework, and the roof is put together something like an offcenter wheel - there is a wooden ring, into which poles are inserted at an angle,which then rest on the latticed wall frames. The modern version of the yurt has UV stabilized vinyl exterior and bubble foil insulation behind it.

So, I says to myself, self I says - wouldn't they be able to make a lattice about 3 feet high that you could hang the wall fabric on and just surround the whole trailer with? of course you'd want to make sure the height was below the furnace, water heater and fridge vents.

Just a thought.

Paula
Old 01-08-2008, 11:35 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
atlanta , Georgia
Do a search - there are some guys in boulder who do skirting for a reasonable price - they do all kinds of custom RV canvas - that said if you wanted to do it yourself I really don't think it would be that difficult if you have the time
nunya001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 06:01 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
How about an inflatable skirt?

How about considering using inexpensive air mattresses fastened end to end around your unit? Ideally you would like to have something that had sideways ribs or air tubes so that they would help the skirt to stand up by itself. Short of that I would think you could either attach it to the AS or use some sort of stakes to help. Once inflated the air would really add to the insulation value. Now if you could just get some that had a shiney reflective surface you would really be in good shape.

Malcolm
Old 01-08-2008, 07:14 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
I hadn't thought of skirting my trailer, but the first thing that came to mind was to install a "C" channel (like that used for the older awnings) around the base just under the banana wrap. It would be almost invisible when not in use. Then slide in fabric skirting panels (perhaps insulated). This could even match your awning material. The top of the skirt would be practically airtight and the bottom could be staked or weighted down to complete the seal. I think this would be a classy way to skirt a trailer, would be fairly quick to install, and the panels would roll up and store easily.
Just a thought.
Sam
samb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 06:21 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Loveland , Colorado
Send a message via Yahoo to RV Skirting
Smile Skirting

We make Custom Skirting for any type of RV, yes even our heavy vinyl stops you from freezing in the winter. We can custom make it on site or stop in at Loveland RV Resort and we can get it done quickly Custom RV Skirting, 5th Wheel Front Skirts, Travel or Work Trailers,* We Go-N-Sew or Mail Order RV Skirts
RV Skirting is offline   Reply With Quote