Old 12-14-2005, 03:25 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Cold Weather Airstreaming

Hi Guys, I am getting at note, when I log on asking me very politely to contribute something.
I live in North Georgia and summer in Colorado, living at the LastResortRv Park in Pagosa Springs. This was our third year. We stayed later in the seaon than we had originally planned and got to experience cold weather in our airstream. We bought a house and stayed later for the closing. We left December 1.
The cold was not too bad. It was getting down to around 4 degrees. After we went to bed we were plenty warm with the furnace set to 53. Bed was warm but we did have a few problems due to the cold. The water froze from the spicket to the trailer in the hose. we corrected that with Heat Tape. One worked and then we had to get two.
The water froze going into the trailer. The same solution that is used in our houses worked. Leave the cold water trickling. After we bought our house out there my husband was sleeping there --trying to keep the houses pipes from freezing burning wood in the woodstove waiting for the propane man to make a delivery. I was sleeping and about 2 am I got cold. Really cold. I realized the furnace was not putting out any heat. My husband had never shown me what to do with the propane tanks. But I learned that night. I went outside and waited for our campground owner to come home from his job at the local PD. Oh the sky was beautiful, so clear and milky way magnificent.
I went inside and read the manual how to switch the tanks. Yeah, I know leave both on and it will switch itself. It worked and I went back to bed.
It snowed and the main awning was out so we had to get the snow off and roll it up.
The final reason we decided to head back to our home here was I took a shower and the water froze as soon as it went down the drain. I told Tom it was time to go. We just aren't prepared for this cold.
We left and I think it was a wise decision. A couple of days later the temps were dropping to -9 degrees.
Has anyone else had similiar cold weather adventures or is everyone smart enuff to park their 'streams and go home??

merry christmas
Gryphon

WBCCI #6978

There are two ways to die in the desert.
One is by thirst and the other is drowning.
gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 07:10 PM   #2
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Hey, I was wondering why we didn't see you guys on your return trip! Headin' for warm country muchos fast, eh?

Welll, the news is that it's just getting colder and colder here (and in Pagosa country). We had the pleasure of experiencing -18 a few days ago (seems like yesterday). We're getting ready for the RV+Ski people to come in -- though, personally, I would NEVER want to take the Airstream out in this kind of cold stuff!

Lynn

Old 12-14-2005, 07:21 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

You better believe it Lynn. We left pagosa and spent the first night in santa rosa. Ahh the warm weather was a delight. It was 85 going through texas. The cold was following us and soon overtook us.

We'll see you and Marie in the spring. Have a good winter.

gryphon
WBCCI #6978

Old 12-14-2005, 09:10 PM   #4
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Hi, Gryphon,

You are living in lovely country in north Georgia, but if that's your idea of wintering from CO, I'm really suprised and may the Lord save me for Colorado. I live down here on the sand in southeastern GA somewhere between the red dirt and the hurricanes, and winter here is mild, but not crazy mild like no season at all a hundred miles south of here.

If y'all find yourself's coming down US 1 for any reason, give me a PM. I'll treat you to a meal at Ryan's and you can share my Wifi if you can park close enough.

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 06:11 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

You just can't beat a fireplace or a woodstove to help keep you warm. Which one can have neither in an airstream. So yeah our winter home is in Suwanee, we summer in Pagosa Country. North Georgia just had a icestorm. We were without power for around 20 hours. We seriously thought about just sleeping in the Airstream until the power came back on.

Where bouts are you in SE Georgia. We usually make one trip each winter south to the Savannah Area. No matter how bad the weather gets down there give it a day or two and it will change.

Will do about the PM when we head south.

Gryphon

WBCCI #6978

Old 12-15-2005, 07:17 PM   #6
Craftsman

You can have a wood stove in an Airstream. Take a look at this site which shows asmall woodstove in an Airstream. www.marinestove.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bluecod_stainedglassdoor.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	17089  
Old 12-15-2005, 10:13 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Craftsman,
Now, I have seen everything... however it would seem impractical inside a 30 foot trailer and besides where would you put the teevee?
Seriously it would definately keep the trailer warm. But in MHO - a fire hazard.
We did keep the furnace set on 53 it was the only temp that we could sleep comfortably at. If we kept it any higher all of us would wake "hot". You gotta remember the outside temps were around 5. Other folks in this open year round park had closed in the bottoms of their units or did the haybail surround. The guy with the closed botton had busted his water system last winter and had moved his unit next to the bathhouse. The haybail guy was having already problems with his water but that was mostly to his inexperience.
It would be interesting to see how other folks living in Aistream in cold climates manage. (or any other travel trailer)

gryphon
WBCCI #6978

Old 12-15-2005, 10:18 PM   #8

1994 34' Excella
carrollton , Georgia
Send a message via AIM to gwaters51
you are in SWanee?
Old 12-15-2005, 10:23 PM   #9

1994 34' Excella
carrollton , Georgia
Send a message via AIM to gwaters51
hi gryphon---i am so new--what does the rivets mean???
Old 12-15-2005, 10:42 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

It is Suwanee, Ga. Suppose to be a Shawnee word for echo. I don't know if this is true or not.
I think you get the rivets according to how many posts you make. As you can tell by my rivets. I don't post much.

But welcomed to the forum.

gryphon
WBCCI #6978

Old 12-16-2005, 03:00 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
A stupid Question......

When you're traveling down the highway and it's freezing or below......do you keep your propane heater going inside the AS to prevent the water/grey/black tanks from freezing? If so, what temperature setting do you use. I'm considering a trip to Yosemite this winter....our first winter trip (maybe I'm crazy!)! I understand that I need to keep the tanks warm when I get to the CG......but wondering what people do on the road (if anything).

Thanks

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 06:54 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
chicagoland , north of cheddar curtain
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandvm
When you're traveling down the highway and it's freezing or below......do you keep your propane heater going inside the AS to prevent the water/grey/black tanks from freezing?
the trick is keeping the haybales attached .......
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 07:36 AM   #13
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandvm
When you're traveling down the highway and it's freezing or below......do you keep your propane heater going inside the AS to prevent the water/grey/black tanks from freezing? If so, what temperature setting do you use. I'm considering a trip to Yosemite this winter....our first winter trip (maybe I'm crazy!)! I understand that I need to keep the tanks warm when I get to the CG......but wondering what people do on the road (if anything).

Thanks
Jim,
If the temps are going to be near freezing (above 28 degrees) I will usually just tow away. If it is going to be very cold, I will run the furnace, besides it is great to be able to step into a nice warm trailer to take a break from driving. This subject of LP on or LP off has been beaten to death in several threads...

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 09:13 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
we love pagosa too!

gryphon- glad you discovered pagosa springs! We live near fort collins, but have some land in pagosa where RV camping is allowed, and we try to get a couple weeks a year in down there. Great place, be sure to go to the hot springs on the san juan river on local's night for the big discount. Enjoy georgia for the winter- tim