Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2018, 11:49 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 22
2017 26' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
Cold Pillows

This is my second winter in my ‘26U RQ and the one thing I haven’t seem to master is how to prevent cold pillows at night. I know it doesn’t help that I have two windows at the head of the bed. There is a noticeable draft from the windows and I used bubble wrap last winter for insulation, but I still had cold pillows. Condensation isn’t an issue; hydrometer reads steady around 48%. It’s more of comfort at this point. I have reflectix, but rather not black out my windows if possible.

Any suggestions?
Old 11-14-2018, 03:35 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Buy the best pure goose down pillows you can, with the firmness and fill % appropriate for your style of sleeping, and get good quality flannel pillow cases.

You did not skimp on your selection of a trailer, so don't pinch pennies on your "head bed" setup. Goose down has gotten really expensive, especially if you insist on pure goose down with no other feathers/down added. New quality pillows will last for years and are worth the price if comfort results IMO.

Your head will thank you!

Peter

PS -- It is important to air out any down products if they absorb moisture overnight.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 06:43 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
2018 27' Flying Cloud
2021 30RB Classic
Currently Looking...
Fredericksburg , Texas
Cold Pillows

This was the only issue we had in the winter camping in our 2015 22FB and the main reason we chose the 27FBQ to full time in instead of the twins.

The curtain type window coverings offer a little better barrier against the cold than the roller shades plus you are not sleeping directly against the aluminum.

To combat this issue that exists only at the head of the bed, I used 4’ wide Reflectix purchased at The Home Depot. After cutting it to a length that extended half way around the nightstand, I cut 8” long slits every 6” on the edge that the mattress would lay on so it would lie flat under the mattress and hug the wall perfectly. I doubled over the remaining 4’ width with the fold ending up about 3” above the bottom of the curtain rail and the remaining edge at the bed platform wall intersection. The cold air falls down behind the Reflectix and not on the pillows or your head while sleeping. I check behind the Reflectix in the morning for condensation and would towel dry any I find.

The outside temperature is 21 degrees F in the Texas Hill Country at 7:15 this morning as I respond to this post. It is 71 degrees F inside our AS using 2 electric heaters. The NE facing inside wall surface temperature above the nightstand is 49 degrees F. The temperature of the Reflectix above my pillow is 68 degrees F

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0052.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	329.9 KB
ID:	327825Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0053.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	262.0 KB
ID:	327828Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0054.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	269.1 KB
ID:	327829Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0055.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	308.8 KB
ID:	327830
twbucksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 10:24 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
Oh, man, I LOVE a cold pillow. Waking up in the middle of the night and flipping over the pillow to get the cold side... magic. That said, if you're not into them like I am, cut some polyisocyanurate panel (RMax at your local Lowe's or Home Depot) to fit between the window and screen. only make it around 10" tall so you're only blocking the bottom part of the window. If you wrap it in some kind of cloth, the "squishy" will help fill in small cracks, though it will also absorb any condensation so you'll need to make sure things don't start growing or use an exterior (patio chair) type fabric.

Or... put your pillow in the oven for 2 minutes before bed. Just make sure it doesn't come into contact with any flame! ;-)
kidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 02:17 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 22
2017 26' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Buy the best pure goose down pillows you can, with the firmness and fill % appropriate for your style of sleeping, and get good quality flannel pillow cases.

You did not skimp on your selection of a trailer, so don't pinch pennies on your "head bed" setup. Goose down has gotten really expensive, especially if you insist on pure goose down with no other feathers/down added. New quality pillows will last for years and are worth the price if comfort results IMO.

Peter

PS -- It is important to air out any down products if they absorb moisture overnight.

I’m going to check into both products! Thanks!
Old 11-14-2018, 02:18 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 22
2017 26' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
Quote:

Peter

I’m going to check into goose down & I’m at Walmart now looking for flannel pillow cases. Thanks!
Old 11-14-2018, 02:21 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 22
2017 26' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by twbucksr View Post
This was the only issue we had in the winter camping in our 2015 22FB and the main reason we chose the 27FBQ to full time in instead of the twins.

The curtain type window coverings offer a little better barrier against the cold than the roller shades plus you are not sleeping directly against the aluminum.

To combat this issue that exists only at the head of the bed, I used 4’ wide Reflectix purchased at The Home Depot. After cutting it to a length that extended half way around the nightstand, I cut 8” long slits every 6” on the edge that the mattress would lay on so it would lie flat under the mattress and hug the wall perfectly. I doubled over the remaining 4’ width with the fold ending up about 3” above the bottom of the curtain rail and the remaining edge at the bed platform wall intersection. The cold air falls down behind the Reflectix and not on the pillows or your head while sleeping. I check behind the Reflectix in the morning for condensation and would towel dry any I find.

The outside temperature is 21 degrees F in the Texas Hill Country at 7:15 this morning as I respond to this post. It is 71 degrees F inside our AS using 2 electric heaters. The NE facing inside wall surface temperature above the nightstand is 49 degrees F. The temperature of the Reflectix above my pillow is 68 degrees F

Attachment 327825Attachment 327828Attachment 327829Attachment 327830

Genius idea & I have reflectix I can cut to fit. I’m in Burleson and feel your pain. Think we have one more night of below freezing temps, but I still want to fix this. If my dogs didn’t fart so much, I’d be okay with them warming the pillows for me [emoji4].
Old 11-14-2018, 03:49 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrvlnRN View Post
I’m going to check into goose down & I’m at Walmart now looking for flannel pillow cases. Thanks!

I am not sure Walmart will have pillows of pure goose down, but hopefully they have some flannel pillow cases. Cheaper pillows add goose/duck/fowl feathers which, in view of your candid comment about your dogs' olfactory obnoxiousness, stink IMO.

Old 11-14-2018, 05:02 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 22
2017 26' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
I am not sure Walmart will have pillows of pure goose down, but hopefully they have some flannel pillow cases. Cheaper pillows add goose/duck/fowl feathers which, in view of your candid comment about your dogs' olfactory obnoxiousness, stink IMO.

I knew they wouldn’t have the pillows, but I was surprised that they didn’t have any flannel pillow cases. I’ll check out Amazon.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:08 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Try The Company Store. Down pillows and micro-fiber sheets and cases.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:20 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 22
2017 26' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidjedi View Post
Oh, man, I LOVE a cold pillow. Waking up in the middle of the night and flipping over the pillow to get the cold side... magic. That said, if you're not into them like I am, cut some polyisocyanurate panel (RMax at your local Lowe's or Home Depot) to fit between the window and screen. only make it around 10" tall so you're only blocking the bottom part of the window. If you wrap it in some kind of cloth, the "squishy" will help fill in small cracks, though it will also absorb any condensation so you'll need to make sure things don't start growing or use an exterior (patio chair) type fabric.

Or... put your pillow in the oven for 2 minutes before bed. Just make sure it doesn't come into contact with any flame! ;-)

Ummm...I have a convection oven that I haven’t quite mastered so that probably wouldn’t work out so well [emoji28]. I’ll check into this panel you mentioned.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:26 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
love my flannel pillow cases and sheets... even a flannel duvet and electric blanket. Not all flannel is the same. Make sure you get quality flannel.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:53 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Agree but some sleeping partners might not like flannel sheets and duvet covers IMO.

A flannel pillow case at least limits "the solution" to one's own head, so everyone is "ahead" in the game!

Peter
Old 12-14-2018, 06:30 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Reflectx is a good idea. My old Avion had a "headboard" which was heavy cardboard covered with polyester fill used by quilters, then covered with truly hideous upholstery fabric. This must have worked well when new, but years of grease and tobacco stains.... eewuh! A quick, fun redecoration project every year or two? Good!
Old 02-08-2019, 09:15 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 22
2017 26' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
Found a quick fix that works with this crazy Texas weather, a body pillow. It’s serving as my headboard and is keeping my pillow nice and toasty.

I swear TX is one of the few places you can get a mosquito bite and frostbite in the same week.
Old 02-09-2019, 07:07 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
2018 27' Flying Cloud
2021 30RB Classic
Currently Looking...
Fredericksburg , Texas
We started with an extra pillow but the lost inches in bed length led me to the reflectx which may not look as nice but takes fewer inches to implement than a pillow.
twbucksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 07:38 AM   #17
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
If dry camping we have found that old fashioned hot water bottles are great for taking the chill off cold beds/pillows. The water can be reheated the next night on the stove or used for toilet flushing etc. An electric heating pad can work too, if connected to shore power.