Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2010, 09:12 AM   #1
Hedonistic Bohemian

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Atlanta , Georgia
City water / fresh tank diverter question

I live in a 2007 27FB. Where is the device that switches between city water and fresh tank? How does that work?
Bohemian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:18 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
There is no "switch." When you hook up to city water and turn on the faucet the pressure applied to the system more or less shuts out the on board supply system. On certain models, you can turn on your pump and draw water out of your fresh tank to supplement your supply when the pressure is very low.

The rule of thumb is to keep your pump turned off when connected to city water. When you disconnect from the city source, turn your pump back on and draw from your tanks.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:27 AM   #3
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
I believe you should have two switches for the pump, both labeled "pump." One in the galley, on the "system monitor," and one in the lavatory.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:45 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
As mentioned above there is no action required on your part. Just turn the pump off, and hook to "city" water connection. There is a check valve plumbed in near the pump to keep the city connection from backfeeding into the pump and fresh water holding tank. Further, there is a pressure regulator connected to the city inlet to keep pressures under control inside the trailer.

However, I do sometimes attach a second regulator directly to the faucet when I notice extemely high water pressure. This protects my white supply hose and adds a little buffer for the trailer regulator.

Best regards,

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:27 PM   #5
Hedonistic Bohemian

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Atlanta , Georgia
I failed to be clear. I guess I meant diverter instead of switch.

When the water pump pressurizes the system, what keeps the pressurized water from blowing out the city water inlet?
Old 12-14-2010, 08:30 PM   #6
x

XXXX , XXXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohemian View Post
I failed to be clear. I guess I meant diverter instead of switch.

When the water pump pressurizes the system, what keeps the pressurized water from blowing out the city water inlet?
The city water inlet will have a check valve (one way valve) which only allows water to flow into the trailer from the campground connection through your water hose. When you turn on your pump does water flow backwards out the city water connection. If it does then this valve has failed and need replacing.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:56 PM   #7
Hedonistic Bohemian

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Atlanta , Georgia
The check valve is right at the inlet? Part of it?

In the 15 degree morning I couldn't get city water to my faucets, which worked fine from the fresh tank after some thawing out. I got water thru the hose, then hooked it to the inlet.

Is the check valve a source of problems in cold weather?
Old 12-14-2010, 09:12 PM   #8
x

XXXX , XXXX
Yes the check valve is right at the inlet and probably in your newer unit will be part of the city water connection. It is not really a problem in cold weather per se. The problem lies in the material that the city water connection is made of. It is steel and will get cold faster thatn the hose and water lines. There is a restriction in the valve that can lend itself to freezing up earlier than the rest of the system.
In really cold weather fill your fresh water tank during the day. Also during the day when it is warmer you can use the city water connection. I would disconnect the hose from the city water connection at night and use the fresh water tank and water pump.
I just read your first post. You are full timing or living in your trailer. You can buy line heat. It looks like an extension cord with a thermostat on one end. Tape the line heat to your water hose and then wrap the hose in foam pipe insulation and then in duct tape. Make sure the thermostat is exposed to the outside air. Once plugged in the line heat will keep your hose from freezing. If you place the foam pipe insulation and line heat right up to the city water connection it should keep that from freezing as well.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:45 AM   #9
tarheelbornbred

2010 28' International
1972 29' Ambassador
Hot Springs , North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to tarheel1972
I am having no luck with the heat tape as described above. Most heat tapes are designed for pipes, so I ended up cooking the hose. This will happen when you expose the thermostat to the cold air.

I have ordered the nofreezewaterhose.com, but it will not be here in time for our next storm arriving tonight. Expensive for sure, but since I am working long hours, I need a sure thing when I get back to the Airstream.
tarheel1972 is offline   Reply With Quote