Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Winter Living
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-07-2013, 02:47 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
King City , California
Caught on the Road

Sorry if this has been covered before but I'm new to this site and havn't figured out how to search archives. I saw the weather reports about the the surprise storm in Colorado and the plains states that dumped nearly 3-ft of snow on the ground. How do you deal with a trailer in those conditions? Find a place to park and wait it out? Press on regardless and pray for the best? Can you manage a trailer in those conditions? I'm sure any feedback would be helpful. Thanx!
Chuck K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:39 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
2005 28' International CCD
2011 30' International
Kihei , Hawaii
If the roads are still slippery with snow, probably waiting it out is the best option - waiting until the roads are clear of snow and salt.

In the mountain passes, if chains are required, you also have to put chains on the trailer too, otherwise your chained tow vehicle will slow down but your trailer won't and you'll highly likely end in a jackknife situation if you try and slow or stop on a slippery section. Also, if the authorities are monitoring that chains are installed, they will stop you unless you also have chains on your trailer. Authorities or not, if you put chains on your tow vehicle, you must put chains on your trailer.

I have heard of reports that if the chains are installed on the braking axles of the Airstream release while driving, they will absolutely tear up the wheel wells as the wheel wells are only light weight metal, and the chains will then start to tear up everything inside of the trailer near the wheel wheels too.

I pulled a 25' Safari from Minnesota through the Rockies and to San Diego this January, and stayed ahead of a storm. I was prepared to use chains in the mountains, however found out afterwards that professional haulers pull the Airstreams through the Southern States to avoid using snow chains on the trailer for the very reason of what happens if the chains unhook.

Not sure if the States that you discuss still use salt on the road, however that cannot be very good for the Airstream's body.
geraldkealak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:19 PM   #3

Currently Looking...
King City , California
All good tips! I had not considered the trailer chains and braking issues. Nor had I given much thought to the effect of salt on the aluminum trailer body. I'll continue to monitor the comments here. Very helpful!
Old 10-08-2013, 06:53 AM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
If you need trailer tire chains, you might consider this type:
Michelin Fabric - Mesh Tire Chains | etrailer.com
The link is for composite chains for Michelin tires, but I'm sure you could find something similar for other tire brands. Not actually being made of chain, they would be kinder to your trailer if they came loose. And they may have fewer problems with wheelwell clearance, too.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:17 AM   #5

Currently Looking...
King City , California
I'll check them out. Have actually had a couple of BAD experiences with the bloody chains on my little Canyon pickup crossing the Sierras around Thanksgiving. I am kind gun shy even though a lot of folks use them.