Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Winter Living
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-30-2013, 09:15 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wethersfield , Connecticut
Camping in colds temps for a few days

We are camping for a few days in some colder weather in New England before heading south. Just want to make sure I don't harm anything.

The lows right now have been in the upper 30's but his weekend we are in maine for 2 nights and the temp will be in the low 30s and then 28 one night.

I have been running the LP furnace and keeping the water tank warm but are these temps anything I should be worried about?

At what temps should I do anything different?

We will be towing during the daytime only with temps only as low as 40 while towing. At what temp should I consider running the furnace while towing? And is that dangerous?

Thanks so much!

Thomas
Thomas_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
The only danger is water freezing and that does not happen above 32 F. Even temps in the upper 20's when stationary with heat on inside usually will result in no problems. The drain lines to the holding tanks are the most problematical as they are pretty exposed, but again, unless you are below freezing with a wind to take heat away fast, you will probably be fine. I have camped with snow on the ground in Montana in the mid 20s with no freezing, but also have camped with it about 30 and a significant wind, and had my drain lines go solid. The wind does not make it colder, but it does cary the heat away faster so it can make a difference. No amount of wind at 33 will freeze water though.

Some run the furnace while driving, but with temps in the 40's it is not necessary at all, other than comfort when you stop. Some furnaces don't stay lit properly when on the road, the only way to know that is to try it. Some would consider it dangerous I am sure, but my opinion is that it is not. I travel with my propane on, and refrigerator running, as most do, but some will argue it is not safe to do that. There is no "answer" to that old question, but we all have preferences and opinions.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
No Problem

I just got back from 5 weeks on the road. We had three back to back cold nights, all in the mid 20's. As long as it warms above freezing during the day your furnace will keep the pipes in the coach in good shape.

My record is 20 degrees but I wouldn't want to do that for any period of time. I just kept the furnace set at 45 and left the hot water heater on. I didn't mess with the dump valves on the gray and black tanks until it warmed up.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 02:22 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
I too want to start camping in colder weather with our 09 25' Classis. On airstreams are the tanks in a heated area being that they are in a box and hinden from view?
Julie-Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:12 PM   #5

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I've camped where it got down to the upper 20's one night. My city water hose froze but thankfully did not burst. The sewer hose was fine since it was pitched well and there was no standing water in it.

In retrospect if I was out and knew it was going to get below freezing, I'd make sure I was carrying some water in the fresh water tank. I'd probably shut off the city water prior to nightfall and make sure the hose was drained. For the sewer line, if its connected I'd make sure there is not any large amount of standing water in the hose. I'd also shut off the gray water valve if there was any chance of getting any standing water in the hose. Once morning temps warm up I'd go ahead and open the gray water valve, reconnect the city water line and turn on the associated water supply.

Your furnace will keep everything else fine and the water heater pilot, or electric rod in the heater tank will keep your hot water in good shape.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:30 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Olympia , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie-Bob View Post
I too want to start camping in colder weather with our 09 25' Classis. On airstreams are the tanks in a heated area being that they are in a box and hinden from view?
Yes, your tanks will be heated, if you use the furnace.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:17 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
You should be fine with slightly below freezing temps unless it stays below freeing for sustained periods and during the day. And wind does matter. We often have slightly sub-freezing weather here in SoAZ ... and we have camped during such times with no issues. If you are worried, turn your furnace on to a low setting in the 40s. The furnace will direct warm air to your tanks. Your sewer drains will be the most vulnerable point, as Jack points out. You should detach and drain your city water hose if you are using it so it doesn't freeze. Once you get above freezing the next day you will be fine to proceed as normal
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:11 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2009 30' Classic
Surprise , Arizona
Reading with interest the postings on sub freezing weather concerns. We had planned th travel to a park near our son in Arlington TX for Christmas. The weather forecast shows another cold front there at that time with lows around 9 degrees. Kinda concerned now with temps that low. We have a 2009 Classic and we've been fine in the high 20's but 9 degrees?!
Jackcat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:43 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2009 30' Classic
Surprise , Arizona
Just rechecked forcast and it has changed a bit, now with lows only in the 20's. still curious about really cold temps effect on the trailer.
Jackcat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:23 AM   #10
Rivet Master

We have camped in Colorado down to 17 degrees at night with no freezeups. The water lines and tanks in my 25 Safari have modest protection from the cold. It did warm up to above freezing during the day.
What you have to look out for is a sustained period (like 48 hours) where the temps never get above freezing and go down into the teens at night. If you are seeking to camp in such conditions, I would drain the tanks, winterize the trailer and prepare to use a lot of propane to keep the interior above freezing. Airstreams are only slightly better insulated than a tent.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote