Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Winter Living
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-11-2005, 07:30 PM   #1
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Camping in Cleveland? CLEVELAND?

Hi, folks,

I just learned today that I may be spending a month to six weeks in Cleveland, OH, starting in mid-January. Oh boy. I live in an Airstream 1000 miles south of there, near Jacksonville, FL.

Will ANY campgrounds close to Cleveland be open? Am I going to look stupid in a rear wheel drive pickup up there?

Everybody tell me how dumb this idea is that I'm considering. Please. The alternative is putting the AS (and the Argosy) into storage and living in motels. Yikes!

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 07:37 PM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeHarbor
Hi, folks,

I just learned today that I may be spending a month to six weeks in Cleveland, OH, starting in mid-January. Oh boy. I live in an Airstream 1000 miles south of there, near Jacksonville, FL.

Will ANY campgrounds close to Cleveland be open? Am I going to look stupid in a rear wheel drive pickup up there?

Everybody tell me how dumb this idea is that I'm considering. Please. The alternative is putting the AS (and the Argosy) into storage and living in motels. Yikes!

Lamar
Lamar,
I can tell you for a fact the weather in Cleveland in January SUX! the last time I was up that way was in 1999 and it snowed like crazy. I did get around in a 2wd Ford Ranger tho...just had a 500# job box in the back and took it easy. BTW who did you PO to get sent there this time of year...sounds like something I would do

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 08:02 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Safeharbor, I just moved from Cleveland two years ago. I have relatives there, that we talk to every week. You DO NOT want to go there now. If you must, leave the Airstream down here. There will be no place available, that I know of. If you were there now, you would be spending all your money on propane! Plus the salt on the roads will do your Airstream no good.

A 4WD is not a must, I drove 2WD's most of my life up there, until I bought my first 4X4 in 1998. Then I wondered how I got along without it all those years.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 09:21 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Cleveland isn't the end of the world....

... but you can see it from there.

I'm from Northeastern Ohio - as far from it as I can get - but seriously, Cleveland gets "Lake effect snows" which are NO JOKE - 20 inches isn't remarkable! You would absolutely have to dry camp, as temperatures DO go significantly below zero.

What everyone said about your propane spending would definitely be true, and most campgrounds close around October. You'd be hard pressed to find anyplace within 40 miles of the downtown area - and the drive would be wicked if you're not used to the weather.

The good news is that motels will often almost give away space at this time of the year. Look for an "all suites" hotel, so you'll have a bit more room and be able to cook or entertain in the room. Downtown Cleveland has actually done a turnaround since the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, the new stadium and ball park opened, so you might be able to find something very close to your work.

Good luck in Ohio. If you take your Airstream, leave it in Jackson Center and have your annual service done. They'll probably store it on their lot for a very reasonable fee, and you could visit it on weekends.

Tin Lizzie
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 06:12 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Cleveland weather

Cleveland is a great place to visit. Don't think it will be good for camping this time of year. We are SW of there by 30 miles or so. We have around 4 in. of snow. If you come you will definitely want to make sure that you are NOT on the East side of Cleveland. That is the snow belt. They have already had a couple of feet of that white stuff.
Let us know if we can be of assistance.
Lou and Larry
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 07:00 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
You did say Cleveland?

I have no advice, only my deepest sympathy in your time of loss (of use of your Airstream).
Old 12-12-2005, 08:36 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' International CCD FB
1987 25' Sovereign
1977 23' Safari
North Olmsted , Ohio
It's not all that Bad

Sheez!!! ... it isn't that bad in Cleveland. There are some extended stay hotels/apartments in the western burbs of Cleveland. They are very close to freeways and put you about 20 minutes from downtown Cleveland. The different Cities Service Departments do a decent job of keeping the roads clean, so a rear wheel drive pickup should do okay.

Dave
Old 12-12-2005, 09:18 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Take the Airstream and camp in it. You can surely find a Walmart parking lot at least, and if you're real lucky you may be able to park on the east side of a big snow pile that will help break up the wind...somewhat.

Cleveland is known as the mistake on the lake. You in your Airstream would make it two.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:36 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
Cleveland

Alright - enough of the sympathy about this guy having to come to the BEST LOCATION IN THE NATION!! It could be worse - he could have to go to PITTSBURGH!!!

As for 4-wheel drive in the winter if it gets so bad out that 4WD seems necessary, we stay home. 2WD is just fine if you wait until the plows have done their jobs.

So, west of town is better than east for snowfall because lake effect generally doesn't happen west.

State parks are open all winter - but Ohio State Parks only have electric hookups, no water or sewer. I"ll see what I can find for year-round campgrounds - I'll post when I find them.

The weather id COLD so you WILL be spending LOTS on propane if you decide to brng your AS.

Best of luck!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 07:22 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
My son and I just returned from four days camping in the wonderful state of Ohio. This is the second winter camping trip we have made to the great state of President Harding. This trip we saw the Football Hall of Fame just south in Canton, Ohio. Stayed at a KOA with full hook ups. Used an electric space heater most of the time even when it got down to 15 degrees at night. These old coaches are well insulated. The state parks have electric hook ups and some keep their dump stations open. They all keep a few spots plowed out and a ranger will check on you at least once a day. The parks are beautiful winter or summer. As for your two wheel drive pick up I live in Milwaukee, WI and drive a two wheel pickup. We have a real lake here called Michigan and get snow. I just put the tube sand in the back and wait until the city plows the streets. If there is ever a reason for me to get out before the city plows that's what 911 is for. Enjoy Cleveland and the mid-west, you'll have a great time. Make sure you see the museum and the zoo.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:14 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
Cleveland

I checked all of the listings I could find and did not find any campgrounds in the Cleveland area that are open year-round.

Sorry - you'll like it here anyway - Rodk&Roll Hall of fame, Cavaliers with LeBron James, GREAT restaurants, good night life (House of Blues), World Class Orchestra, museums......

Enjoy your visit!!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 09:06 AM   #12
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
In Chicago, unless the wind comes from the east, the lake effect snows from the pond next door isn't an issue at all.....now for the poor folks in northwest Indiana and western (lower) Michigan....

I would think that Cleveland would be similar to NW Indiana with Lake Erie so close (particularly with wind from the north). If you did bring the Airstream, you'd better have 4x4. I've been in a few lake effect snows and they can be relentless and at times never ending. I too for decades made it through Chicago winters without a 4x4 and like Pick wonder how I got along without it now that we have a 4x4.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote