Old 09-04-2014, 10:27 AM   #1
2014 25' International
Littleton , Colorado
Best winter parking service for tires

Started full-timing this year and am planning to spend my first winter at Voyager in Tucson where I'll park my 2014 25-foot Airstream on a gravel site for 4 months. I'm wondering how the gravel surface will affect my tires and whether I should instead park my AS on those orange leveling blocks, wood, or something else. Want to ensure the 4 month winter parking doesn't harm my tires; what is the best surface? Also, should I move my AS every month or so so the tires don't develop a flat spot?
Best Regards,

zenstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:33 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination
2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Gravel is one of the best surfaces to park on. As a "flexible" surface, it will conform to the shape of your tires to some extent. It has good drainage. It doesn't have any caustic chemicals like concrete or oils like asphalt.

The only thing to make sure of is that you keep the tire propely inflated even while parked. Changes in air temperature over the winter will affect tire pressure.

And if you have tire covers to protect them from UV exposure, use them.

WBCCI #1105

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:40 AM   #3
Rivet Master
1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I have always read that while in storage tires should be up on a wood block.
I typically jack up the trailer in the winter months to preserve the tires and axles.
Steve, Christy, Anna and Scout (Border Collie)

1994 30'11" Excella - rear twin
2009 Dodge 2500, 6 Speed Auto, CTD, Quad Cab, Short Bed
Hensley with adjustable stinger

WBCCI # 3072
AIR # 6035
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 11:08 AM   #4
Rivet Master
1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Gravel draws moisture that will cause rust but not prob. in Arizona dry climate I do not believe in jacking up tandem axle trailers as improperly placed jack can ser. damage to frame also same with jack stands to keep tires off ground. I cannot lower stabilizers as do not clearance between walls to lower backs down fronts only doesn't do much good. No usage when in winter storage I have had campers since 1963 never have had probs. with tires on brick parking spot and or cement driveway and stored in winter mos. inside on cement, has not affected longjevity of tires, when in winter storage cannot check tires for low air, but soon as clear door pulling out check pressure.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote