Old 01-06-2014, 04:34 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Hey it's up to -13 for the high today! It's been hard to coax the dogs outside today: they're not dumb. We haven't been coaxed outside either except to get the mail and papers. Fire going in the fireplace, good night for popcorn. Stay warm everyone!

Kay

Old 01-06-2014, 05:02 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
It's sunny and a high of 64 here today. We need rain.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:00 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Carbon Monoxide Alert!

Carbon Monoxide alert. It's heavier than air, will settle down where the little ones roam, makes you dopey and cant concentrate, kills the little ones on the floor. Comes from your propane heaters in side without having good venilations If you'r have troubls readg this, get outside and get Oxygen, NOW!

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:07 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaGeo View Post
Carbon Monoxide alert. It's heavier than air, will settle down where the little ones roam, makes you dopey and cant concentrate, kills the little ones on the floor. Comes from your propane heaters in side without having good venilations If you'r have troubls readg this, get outside and get Oxygen, NOW!
Copied from First Alert's website:

"Carbon monoxide is not heavier than air. The diffusion of carbon monoxide in air is relatively even, meaning that a source of carbon monoxide can distribute the gas evenly throughout the room and house. When installing a carbon monoxide alarm, choose a location where the alarm will stay clean, and out of the way of children or pets. See User's Manual for specific installation requirements."

Propane is heavier than air and will pool near the floor.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:07 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Good news is that wind chill only impacts live objects (people/animals/plants) by speeding evaporation of any surface moisture... At "Minus 5" the trailer experiences that temperature regardless of wind, though air leaks are problems, and it would cool down more quickly if backed out of warm garage the windier it gets.. Stay warm, and avoid making inadvertent ice sculptures around fractured hoses!

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:49 PM   #20
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condoluminum View Post
Good news is that wind chill only impacts live objects (people/animals/plants) by speeding evaporation of any surface moisture... At "Minus 5" the trailer experiences that temperature regardless of wind, though air leaks are problems, and it would cool down more quickly if backed out of warm garage the windier it gets.. Stay warm, and avoid making inadvertent ice sculptures around fractured hoses!
Wind chill doesn't actually affect plants. Or free-standing water, which is ALL surface moisture.

Wind chill only affects critters with a warm-blooded metabolism. Your body loses heat in wind at a rate equal to the heat it would lose in still air at a lower temperature. But while you lose heat faster in wind, your body will still never get colder than ambient temperature, either. So if the actual temperature was above freezing with a wind chill below freezing, you wouldn't get frostbite.

Same for your trailer. While your poorly-insulated trailer is being heated from inside, it can be said to have a metabolism. It will use more heat to maintain the same inside temp in windy conditions, but its temperature will never fall below the air temp, either. Same thing, if the air temp was above freezing and the wind chill was below freezing, the trailer wouldn't freeze, either.

So with regard to your trailer, wind chill can be an indicator of the amount of propane you'll use, but the actual air temperature determines if anything will freeze if the heater should fail.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:34 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1974 20' Argosy 20
Loomis , California
Forget filling up your propane tanks...fill that gas tank and head to where you can use your air conditioner instead! It is a record year for the whales in Ojo de Libre!
Old 01-06-2014, 09:00 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Y'all must have know this was coming...you set yourselve's up......It was so cold in San Diego today, I had to wear shoes and sox.
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:14 PM   #23
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Ayup well low of -24 here last night and it maybe got up to -15 today.

Airstream parked inside although I know from experience that, after an hour with the furnace on, it would be a balmy 70 degrees in there. I will have the furnace going later this week when I am out at my storage location completing some truck repairs. Gives me someplace warm to retreat into

Two fully charged group 27 batteries in good condition will easily run the furnace overnight. A fact to consider is that the stock converter is not temperature compensated and will not fully charge the batteries at low temperatures. A higher charge voltage is required

The furnace does a great job. If your batteries aren't up to running it well maybe some more batteries are a better choice than a portable furnace. On grounds of safety and comfort

Stay warm
Old 01-06-2014, 09:21 PM   #24
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
Thank you all for sharing the weather with us in NJ. I just hope my winterizing holds and my pipes dont turn into sprinklers. Our snow totAls not too high, it is just extreme weather, couple of ice storms.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:45 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Heat tapes suggested for BOTH the water AND sewer (if hooked up) lines.
Otherwise, it sounds like you are well prepared. We usually dry camp after the first hard freezes in November...but are back out in February.

If you have shore power ... suggest several electric space heaters. Water bottles, heated mattress pad, or electric blanket are nice as well if you have power. Watch out for the condensation all over the interior, but especially the window frames. We just recently saw some heavy duty interior window coverings that worked like the clingy "Saran-wrap" of yesteryear.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:52 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1994 28' Excella
St. James , Missouri
Freezing Water lines

Greetings fellow winter full-timers.

Been really cold here in the Missouri Ozarks.
Weather reports predict that the worst is over. Should be in the mid 40s low 50s by weeks end.

I thought I had my frozen external water issues licked. This morning I awoke with no running water. My external water lines are heavily insulated, heat wires
on frost free rv pump and water line to my Airstream. My Excella is skirted with 1/2 inch insulation boards, I also placed a light underneath my rig for extra warmth. I also have two bales of straw covering my external water lines and around the base of the frost free pump.

I think my water line is freezing where the line connects to the Airtream.
Knowing this could be the weak point in my line I added extra insulation around this area.

I will be full-timing the entire winter. Any thoughts on how to resolve the issue would be greatly appreciated.

Stay warm out there!!

Mark
Old 01-07-2014, 02:56 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Here is another cheerful thought resulting from the cold weather....

There are probably over a 100 customer Airstreams covered in snow outside at the factory awaiting service. If any of the batteries were low on charge, they will probably have frozen last night and will be cracked with the acid chewing on the battery box until it's turn in the shop comes.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:09 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I know this doesn't sound like anything at all to you guys up North, but I just checked the temp here and it's 20 degrees, and will probably go lower before the sun comes up.

I've lived here all my live and have only seen it a few degrees colder, and that's usually in early February. Too darn cold for this Southern boy!