Old 06-27-2015, 08:39 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Some interesting ideas here. PJ, you don't say how many people/pets will be living in this initial dwelling. A couple of years ago, just for grins, I designed an 8' x 12' house for one person (well, there was room for a second chair). Obviously, few people could live in such a dwelling for very long, but it would be possible for some.

My suggestions would be that you start by finding out exactly what your local zoning laws are. Don't waste any time or money looking at anything until you know what you can and can't do.

Once you have that figured out you can work on where the main house will be and where the guest house will be. You will want them fairly close for the sake of utilities.

Assuming that local codes permit it, why not buy one of those fancier "sheds" (like this: Shop Heartland Estate Gambrel Engineered Wood Storage Shed (Common: 12-ft x 16-ft; Interior Dimensions: 11.42-ft x 15.42 Feet) at and set it up as a small house? That was the largest I found with one search of Lowe's, but I know there are larger ones. You could insulate it fairly easily. I suspect that you could build a pretty nice small house for your $10,000 budget - at a LOT less work.

BTW, Barth was a high-end MH back in the day and still has a following. A MH is designed to be driven, not permanently parked somewhere.

David Lininger, kb0zke
AIR 54240
Heartland mpg 181 (sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 (for sale)
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 06:14 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member
1966 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
Mobile , Alabama
My opinion is that the 1980s era Avions remain far superior to Airstreams from that era and in some ways even modern Airstreams. One key difference beyond those already noted is that the vinyl floor covering runs up the wall a few inches. This greatly reduces floor rot issues. And of course as mentioned frame and axles are basically bullet proof. Dr G (Gradeless), who maintains an Avion site in the web opinion, is 1984 is the top year for Avion build quality. The prior poster who repeated the advice that buying in good condition is usually cheaper in long run is also absolutely correct.
But I agree with all of the other posters that a tiny house or cabin is better for your situation.

Jarrod White is offline   Reply With Quote