Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Winter Living
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-15-2016, 06:37 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Hanford , California
Antifreeze Flushing

We're on our way home to California and soon to be passing through southern New Mexico and Arizona with two nights expected to be well below freezing (Arizona predicted to hit 16F). I'll have the propane tanks filled to the brims and I know about having the freshwater tank filled and not connecting the city water hose when not in use but was wondering about the toilet as we'll be spending at least one of the nights at parks with no bathroom facilities. I've read on here about flushing the toilet with antifreeze, but how does that work exactly? Do I put antifreeze in the black water tank before using, add it with each flush, or what? We're in a 2004 25-foot Safari with a 19 gallon black water tank.
Let me know the procedure.
Thanks!
StreaminGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 07:29 AM   #2
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Don't use the toilet. You can buy disposable toilet bags that fit under the toilet seat. Some people make their own using a plastic bag and a disposable diaper to absorb liquids.
Old 12-15-2016, 07:42 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I've camped with an overnight temperature of 18F but the day warmed up to above freezing and didn't do anything different. As long as your run your furnace over night the it should help protect the tank. Dump your black/gray tank as adding antifreeze to a partially full tank would dilute the antifreeze. Then add antifreeze to the black/gray tanks. Every time you use the toilet add some antifreeze, same with the gray.

Kelvin
Old 12-15-2016, 07:54 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Hanford , California
Thanks for the replies. I don't think I'm going to have time to get the bag trip together before we go. The daytime temps will be above freezing, so maybe I can proceed as normal. But if I do decide to use antifreeze (or for future reference) how much should I add to the tank with each flush? And should it be diluted with water before I add it?
Thanks again!
Old 12-15-2016, 08:16 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreaminGeo View Post
Thanks for the replies. I don't think I'm going to have time to get the bag trip together before we go. The daytime temps will be above freezing, so maybe I can proceed as normal. But if I do decide to use antifreeze (or for future reference) how much should I add to the tank with each flush? And should it be diluted with water before I add it?
Thanks again!
For #1 add about as much antifreeze as pee then flush.

For #2, fill the bowl with the same amount of antifreeze as you would water, then flush. The constant motion while towing should prevent any freeze too.

The caveat is I haven't done this but if the tank start out dumped with a couple of gallons of antifreeze to start and you add more antifreeze for each activity it should be safe.

Kelvin
Old 12-15-2016, 08:49 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St. Louis , Missouri
Doesn't your furnace keep your plumbing from freezing?
Old 12-15-2016, 10:38 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
South Hero , Vermont
Antifreeze Flushing

I also have a 2004 Safari. My dump valves are exposed, not under the belly pan and warmed by the furnace. I camped at 14 degrees last year and was not prepared. The dump valves froze. Hot water solved the problem with no damage, but not ideal.
One solution that I learned on this forum is to dump the tanks. Rinse well. Remove the hose, close the cap and leave the dump valves open. Now dump in 1 gallons of antifreeze in each tank and close the valves. This way you will have antifreeze on both sides of the valves.
When you do remove the cap, do it carefully and have a bucket ready to catch the antifreeze. It may be messy, but works.

On an island in Vermont
2004 Safari 25ss
sb55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 02:44 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb55 View Post
I also have a 2004 Safari. My dump valves are exposed, not under the belly pan and warmed by the furnace. I camped at 14 degrees last year and was not prepared. The dump valves froze. Hot water solved the problem with no damage, but not ideal.
One solution that I learned on this forum is to dump the tanks. Rinse well. Remove the hose, close the cap and leave the dump valves open. Now dump in 1 gallons of antifreeze in each tank and close the valves. This way you will have antifreeze on both sides of the valves.
When you do remove the cap, do it carefully and have a bucket ready to catch the antifreeze. It may be messy, but works.

On an island in Vermont
2004 Safari 25ss
Plus add two gallons to each holding tank after you close the gate valves, just for insurance. The grey AF can go down any sink/shower drain. Use a foot to hold the toilet flushing trap door open, and pour two gallons of AF down the toilet.

Even if you add pee and solids to the blank tank during your few overnights, the tank should be safe in freezing weather, as long as the volume of your added material does not exceed a couple of gallons.

As she says above, however, when you remove the end cap on the dump valve outlet, it will be mostly pink AF, but as long as you are near a storm grate at the dump station (designed to catch drips etc.) you can hose it all down into the drain.

Have fun!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 07:18 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Hanford , California
So what I ended up doing was, on the day we took off it looked like only one night (in Alamogordo, New Mexico) was going to get down to 19 degrees and the others would be just above freezing. Nevertheless I bought four gallons of antifreeze in case I would have to use the procedure described above by OTRA15. When we got to the RV park in Alamogordo we discovered that they had restrooms so we didn't have to use the toilet or black water tank at all. I just left it empty. We did hook up to city water and get some in the gray water tank via showers and dishes, but I emptied the tank in the evening before it got too cold. I also disconnected the white hose from the water source. In the morning the water in the white hose and pressure valve was frozen. They thawed out quickly in the back of the truck as soon as the sun came up though. Further along on our trip none of the nights were below freezing so we had no trouble doing anything with water. Thanks for all the tips, though! With the info I got here and the four gallons of AF I'm ready for our next freezing outing!
Old 12-19-2016, 08:25 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the update, glad it all worked out!

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote