Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreamlineAK View Post
I would like to make official announcement, I am ending updates to this thread (although feel free to keep asking questions about this set up) because I am retiring the 1968 Empress.... And moving into a 2014 Flying Cloud! I am starting a new thread covering my winterization and life in the new trailer.

The Empress has been a fantastic trailer, but after two years, I am ready for year round water and a little more "plushness". I plan to retire the Morso coal stove (a great stove, but I don't want coal soot on my new baby and the new trailer needs something with a smaller footprint). Stay tuned for further updates.
Interesting thread, kudos to you for doing it & surviving comfortably. If you plan on using the water in your new Airstream, check to make sure none of the water lines run beneath the floor, as they will freeze if you're not using the original forced air furnace that has ducting to that area.
Colin

Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 07:37 AM   #114
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
When will we see picts of the new trailer?

Old 06-06-2014, 03:18 PM   #115
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Anchorage , Alaska
Soon! I am driving down to the states on the 12th of this month to pick it up. I will have Alaska Hwy pictures
Old 06-07-2014, 08:22 AM   #116
2 Rivet Member

Every Where , USA
Sounds like a great journey ahead of you, Are you planning on going the flat route or the white knuckle scenic route? Please post pictures and information on condition of roads and highways, we are planning on making that journey soon as well.
Old 06-19-2014, 02:28 PM   #117

Currently Looking...
Minot , North Dakota
Hi there travelers.
I find is strangely ironic that she sells hers and I buy mine.
1966 32' streamliner. Bought 6-15-2014.
Id like to keep this thread going if thats ok with everyone?
I am in ND which has very similar weather conditions.
I plan to re insulate the floors since the old stuff is worn out and basicly useless.
Im planning to buy a wood stove/coal stove. And would love some input....
Ill post pictures tonight so that those dreamers and live vicariously through this thread. Heres where it all started.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:44 AM   #118
2 Rivet Member

Every Where , USA
So are you gonna use a Kimberly or sob?
Old 06-20-2014, 08:04 AM   #119
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
hankthetank -do your own 'Dakota Vortex', err... 'Dakota Winterliner' or 'Vinter unzee tin snitzle' somesuch thread? Okay, maybe not the snitzle one so maybe 'Dakota blizzard liner' - eeee... okay fine, you tink of something.

A good introduction and a few pictures & indeed you'll have at least us northern prairie folk hooked.

Looking forward to seeing your project!

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 01:11 AM   #120
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Also some southern folks with roots in the north, Michigan, who are intrigued by the idea of living comfortably in an aluminum tube in the winter.

Yup, looking forward to it.

Dan
Old 06-21-2014, 04:13 PM   #121
janeinthemtns

1985 31' Excella
near Chama , New Mexico
I'm in the mountains @ 7, 400' north central New Mexico. Same weather here, but it warms up above freezing during the day except when it doesn't. I ran an electric heater in the AS last winter to see what would happen. Just like they say, one electric heater heats the AS to 20 degrees above outside temperature. So when it's -30F it's -10F in the trailer. Awesome frozen. I have a smallish, airtight Jotul woodstove I plan to install. Wood only. I can't burn coal. Makes me deathly ill. I hated to tear out that old tamboor cabinet in the living room. I couldn't get the sliding part out in one piece. One night at 3AM I just ripped it out of there. Now I need to pull out the cabinet, install the engineered flooring and cork underlayment, touch up some paint and install the stove. I'm afraid of mold, so I'm going to skirt with roofing tin. We did that in Alaska and it worked great. I don't plan on using the water system. I don't have any running water out here on the ranch anyway. In those days in Alaska, I was married to a pipefitter so if everything blew up it wasn't such a big deal.
Old 07-04-2014, 04:05 PM   #122

Currently Looking...
Minot , North Dakota
So here is where I'm at so far. Floor removed so that I can sand and paint the frame, seal and preserve the belly pan, insulate and install heating conduit under the sub floor. Expenses thus far.
Riviet gun and rivets=$30.

wire wheel for rust removal= free hand me down.

Needle scaler for rust removal=29.99 harbor freight.

Insulation r11 unfaced 8 bats=free from construction site dumpster!

12-15 hrs of time

No I don't have any other threads going this is the first I have posted to a thread about this subject.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1404507088664.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	215663   Click image for larger version

Name:	1404507139152.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	215664  

Name:	1404507172235.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	215665   Click image for larger version

Name:	1404507217833.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	215666  

Name:	1404507250542.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	215667  
Old 07-23-2014, 06:27 PM   #123
1 Rivet Member

1969 29' Ambassador
athol , Idaho
1972 Silver Streak Supreme Luxury Liner

I have been living in trailers since 1986 and wouldn't live any other way.
Started out in a 1968 25 foot Silver Streak I bought in in '86 in Visalia, CA and lived in it in Kerman, CA on my buddy's 30 acre raisin vineyard for a few years then moved down to Alhambra, CA to care for my elderly great aunt until her death at age 94 in 1994. Lived next to the garage from 87 to 94 then moved back to Kerman until I moved up to Coeur d Alene ID in 1998.
Bought my present 34 foot Silver Streak out of Lewiston, ID in 1998 and have lived in it ever since in Coeur d Alene, Rathdrum and Athol where I am now. In 2008 I had a lot of money bought at 42 foot deluxe KZ toy hauler that was basically a building on wheels. Never towed it. Had it until 2010 until I went broke in the gold market. Got rid of the deluxe trailer before it was going to be repossessed and moved back into the Silver Streak. Had sold off the 25 foot Silver Streak about 2003 for two grand. Glad I never got rid of the 34 foot SS because I would be homeless without it.
I've lived through winters up here since 1998 with no problems using kerosene heaters and then moved to Olympic catalytic propane heaters. Now shopping for an old wood stove (pot belly type) for when we can't get fuels anymore when the whole society collapses soon.
I would love to have a Kimberly heater, but $3700??? No way.
I re-insulated the paneling in the front room years ago with Reflectix and pink insulation where I could, I may have used some spray foam too...don't remember. I put Reflextics in all the windows which is the difference between having the door open or closed.
Temps up here go down to single digits or the teens for a two week period just about every year and I get giant ice slabs from snow melting off the roof and the front door has looked like the inside of my freezer as well as the aluminum window frames showing frost.
I don't vent the catalytic heater so I get a lot of condensation that drips down to the wood floor, so I don't have carpeting. When I do have carpeting I lay it down in sections so I can pull it out and take it outside and hose it down and then use my Hoover rug vacuum to suck the dirty water out of it. Then I use rug shampoo and suck it out again. When the rug get too worn, I just buy more remnant carpet and use the old rugs for templates.
I put a good tarp or plastic sheeting over the top in winter to keep the snow from sticking.
Ive traveled all over hell and gone back when I could afford fuel and travel with a chest freezer which I keep running with four L16 batteries and a large inverter and two solar panels and a Craftsman generator that I keep in the back of my truck and run all night when I'm sleeping. Worked for months.
Now I have a huge Onan 5000 watt Generator on a platform I put on the rear of the trailer and a small Harbor Freight Generator for running tools or small appliances if the large stuff doesn't work. I have ten L16 batteries in a lawn tractor trailer behind the trailer which are too many and too heavy to travel with, but i can get by with four if I go nomad. Keep your batteries healthy by using a product called BATTERY EQUALIZER. It's worth it. They are in San Marcos, CA. It's pricey but worth it. Batteries aren't cheap!!

I'll try to put up pictures now and then and offer info to anyone who needs help full timing it in an old, or even new, trailer.

I've tried hay bales around the bottom and plastic sheeting. Hay bales make a big mess and plastic is hard to attach even with cold weather tape. In recent winters, I haven't used anything but my catalytic heater and an electric blanket.

I stay in the trailer almost all the time working on the computer and watching TV as I am nearly 70 this year in November and have two replaced knees, one replaced shoulder and metal rods in my back from motorcycle accidents and hard parachute landings so I hurt all the time and am very happy to sit on my ass and stay comfortable when I can.

I may be going nomad soon as the people where i'm living want me out pretty soon.

I don't have the income anymore to afford most RV parks up here and there aren't that many nice ones that are year round that don't have creepy people and meth freaks living in them. When on the road you have to deal with the state and local police harassing you for nothing.

Right now a major thunder storm is coming in so I better close off before the power goes out.

Just went out to take a few pics of the trailer and the stuff I have around it. I'll show the inside when I clean it up.

I put up T posts around the outside and attach some garden netting stapled to one by twos that I used to hand from the awning tube for privacy but now I use it for a privacy curtain around all my stuff. the small garden trailer in back of the SS has by L16 batteries in it with an old inflatable hot tube on top of it for sun and water protection.
I have a washer and dryer under the awning along with a huge microwave/convection oven I took out of the deluxe RV I ditched. Also have my barbeque under the plastic sheeting and a Big Chief electric smoker under the covers. I have had a metal storage shed in the past but they're expensive, need a wood floor and aren't strong enough to handle snow loads up here.
I have a 30 foot Airstream I gutted and turned in to a work shop and storage trailer. Much easier to move about and store than renting storage lockers.

I have an 1985 F350 diesel dually that i'm repairing and use for towing and also my 1975 Dodge B200 van that I bought new for $5800 and won't ever give up. I've been from Alaska and Yukon Territory down into Baja California in it and sleep in it instead of renting a room. I love it, but she can't tow heavy stuff up hills very well.

I'll try to take better pics later. It's getting dark here because the thunder storm is coming in now. It's a very severe storm with 65 mph gust in Spokane and could cause bad flooding from the giant 240,000 acre fires we just had over in Washington. Those poor folks! Over 100 homes got burned up and now this heavy rain. It's always something!

Cedric Ward
Athol, ID
Old 07-23-2014, 06:44 PM   #124
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Anchorage , Alaska
Great info here Cedric! I think I may be a life long trailer person too, the mobility is so advantage full. I'm still decided on the plan for heating the new Airstream, I really want the Kimberly, but it is very costly. At that price I can travel to the lower 48 for winter. By the way, I also think the electric blanket is the way to go! Best of luck finding a new parking spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 07-24-2014, 02:48 PM   #125
janeinthemtns

1985 31' Excella
near Chama , New Mexico
I pulled the tambor cradenza out of my 32' Airstream and will put my smallish Jotul airtight woodstove in there vented out the window per StreamlineAK advice. We are regularly -30/f here in north central NM. I've done AK too. I wouldn't use catalytic heaters or hay bales due to possibility of mold contamination. Good luck to all of us.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:23 PM   #126
1 Rivet Member

1969 29' Ambassador
athol , Idaho
I was in the process of posting pics of my present situation just as a severe thunderstorm was hitting Spokane and North Idaho where I am. The power went out at 5pm PST Wednesday and just came back on at about 4pm Thursday. It's cloudy so my solar panels aren't charging my batteries. When the power went out I turned on my Harbor Freight inverter and ran my TV to get the news. I could have run my computer with a second cord but I didn't want to drain my batteries, and starting up my larger generators means I have to put that horrible ethanol gas in it and then drain it and clean the carbs if I shut it off for more than a week or two. I justed waited for the power to come back on but still no power at about 7:30am PST today so I powered up my small Harbor Freight generator to run the refrig in the garage than I'm running full blast to keep some meats frozen. My stand up Kenmore freezer died two months ago and it costs a fortune (more than the purchase price) to repair it if it's the compressor. I'm just going to buy another chest freezer and keep it in the living room area of my trailer like I did years ago when I had a $30 Montgomery Ward chest freezer I bought used and had for years until I decided to get a stand up when I had my deluxe toy hauler. I gave the chest freezer to a neighbor and it's still working! I'll never do that again.
So, I'm going to post my photos on this post.

I haven't read all the posts in this thread yet, but I will tonight and then comment on what I have been doing for about thirty years now as a full timer in all kinds of weather and conditions.

The pics were taken in a rush as the storm was moving in, so it was getting dark. Things are a bit of a mess right now as I am selling things to net down for a future move. I'm much more tidy and organized that the pics show, but I've got a lot of repairs going on. I took more pics but the limit per post is ten pics, so here are the first ten.

I saw a clone of my trailer at an RV dealer in town today. I must stop and see what they're asking for it. I bet they want about Ten Grand. I paid five for mine in '98 just because I couldn't find any good 34 footers up here.
Right after I bought mine for five grand, I visited my friend in Kerman who found on identical to mine with pristine outer skin for only three grand!!!

He remodeled inside and did a good job as far as he had gotten when I saw it. I wish I could have found a beauty like that. Mine is functional but is starting to look ragged outside, but I don't care. I have all the tools and polishes to make it look like a mirror, but I just never find the time to do it.
It's a big job and would make the rig more acceptable in more RV parks that limit the age of rigs that can stay there.

That's all for now.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00302.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	217300   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00303.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	217301