Old 05-08-2014, 07:20 AM   #99

1978 31' Sovereign
High Falls , New York
Thank you for your post! I Live in up-state NY. I recently bought a 78 Sovereign 31'. I'm planning on remodeling it and living in it full time. The water system was removed by the previous owner. I'm planning on keeping the plumbing inside. I'll be installing a wood stove and back-up propane heat source. I AM concerned whether or not it will be livable through the winter(or at least functional the way I would like it to be)Thinking about re-doing the insulation. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks for the encouragement!

Old 05-16-2014, 10:07 AM   #100
2 Rivet Member

Every Where , USA
Hello - I am curious do you think you could have stayed just as warm with a 3 electric fan heaters as you do with the stove? Also what is the cost of electricity compared to the coal for heat?

Old 05-16-2014, 12:09 PM   #101
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Anchorage , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGAMO View Post
Hello - I am curious do you think you could have stayed just as warm with a 3 electric fan heaters as you do with the stove? Also what is the cost of electricity compared to the coal for heat?

There is NO WAY electric heat could have kept it as warm as the coal, nor would I want too! I would expect electric heat to be monthly what I spend yearly, about $400. In our old trailer at least, it's just not insulated like a house.
Old 05-17-2014, 11:51 AM   #102
2 Rivet Member

Every Where , USA
how much of a smoky odor is retained in the coach?
Old 05-24-2014, 02:13 PM   #103
2 Rivet Member

Every Where , USA
is there a smoky odor retained from coal? I don't know that is why I am asking.
Old 05-24-2014, 02:36 PM   #104
2 Rivet Member

Every Where , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreamlineAK View Post
The inside water stays fairly warm, my issue is draining the grey water, and my water source. Also, I never got that darn furnace fixed, so it has been exclusively coal/wood again this last year.

The Kimberly would not be overkill! My trailer is 29' and the Morso is a much larger stove than the Kimberly (from what I know). I found on the coldest days, a second heat source on the opposite side end of the trailer was helpful.
I was curious about this as well - the Morso site says the 1410 outputs 30,000 btu's per hour - the Kimberly wood stove outputs 42,500 BTU's per hour - is the output wrong for the Morso, or the Kimberly? It appears that the Kimberly outputs more heat, and might take up a smaller space. Also most of your pipe is outside your trailer - Is this because most of the heat calculation is from the pipe through the ceiling? Or does this mean that you are loosing the heat benefit of the pipe through the coach, or does the majority of the heat come from the stove itself? I am considering living in a A/S with my family and want to understand what will be required to maintain a warm environment for the little ones. Although it sounds that you and your wife are doing great - these stove installs in a stream seems to be more than meets the eye for heating.
Old 05-24-2014, 05:07 PM   #105
4 Rivet Member

1960 26' Overlander
In the North , FRANCE
Quote:
I centered the hole for the pipe, just to keep it as far away from less heat resistant material as possible.Attachment 210487 I have not found the log size to be a problem, it's really not much smaller than I previously cut my wood. And don't forget you can put in a little bigger logs diagonal.
Hello Strealine AK, It isn't a problem to install it in a trailer ? I've already thought for this solution but it isn't dangerous ? you can install and use it safety ? Let me know the advantages & inconvenients please, I wish you share your experience with it

I hope like a child your answers !

Your photos are very nice !!

Thank you !
Old 05-25-2014, 12:50 PM   #106
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Anchorage , Alaska
Quote:
is there a smoky odor retained from coal? I don't know that is why I am asking.

No odor! But I the trailer interior does get dusty in the winter. I have to do a lot of dusting!

I chose the Morso because it was cheaper than the Kimberly, and that it was cast iron (I was more convinced of cast irons safety burning 100% coal). I also knew we would not need to move the trailer very often so the 250 lb stove wouldn't be a problem. In all honesty, I think the Kimberly is a better stove for trailer use if you can afford $4000. Also, I would like to mention, my trailer is not airtight, in a newer, more sealed trailer, a fresh air inlet is likely needed. I am actually looking into a new trailer or a complete restore of this one, and I am reconsidering options.
Old 05-25-2014, 12:54 PM   #107
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Anchorage , Alaska
Quote:
I was curious about this as well - the Morso site says the 1410 outputs 30,000 btu's per hour - the Kimberly wood stove outputs 42,500 BTU's per hour - is the output wrong for the Morso, or the Kimberly? It appears that the Kimberly outputs more heat, and might take up a smaller space. Also most of your pipe is outside your trailer - Is this because most of the heat calculation is from the pipe through the ceiling? Or does this mean that you are loosing the heat benefit of the pipe through the coach, or does the majority of the heat come from the stove itself? I am considering living in a A/S with my family and want to understand what will be required to maintain a warm environment for the little ones. Although it sounds that you and your wife are doing great - these stove installs in a stream seems to be more than meets the eye for heating.

I wonder what solid fuel the Kimberly numbers are based on? (Wood, coal, pellets, bricketts, etc)? I am curious myself, I'm going to do a little research.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:39 AM   #108
2 Rivet Member

Every Where , USA
Quote:
I wonder what solid fuel the Kimberly numbers are based on? (Wood, coal, pellets, bricketts, etc)? I am curious myself, I'm going to do a little research.
According to the Kimberly website it is burning wood, and outputting huge numbers. I also wonder how much additional heat comes from the exhaust pipe. Do you think this pipe adds to the heat output, or does Kimberly calculate the 42,500 BTU's/hour with a certain length of pipe inside of the coach? Since it is a tertiary or secondary ignition furnace can it also burn coal or is it a wood only unit? I know you don't have any experience with the Kimberly I am just trying to forward think before we make any major purchases that we would take a hit on if they didn't work.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:50 AM   #109
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Anchorage , Alaska
On my stove, I used insulated double wall pipe so it was almost cool enough to touch. I believe they recommend double wall stainless pellet stove pipe for the Kimberly, so I think it would put off some heat, but it can't be too much if it is designed to use pellet stove pipe! I have read in the past that the Kimberly will burn coal, but I don't see that stated on their website (maybe due to regulations?). The big advantage I see to the Kimberly is the size, weight and it seems very easy to bolt down/ secure.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:44 PM   #110
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Anchorage , Alaska
I would like to make official announcement, I am ending updates to this thread (although feel free to keep asking questions about this set up) because I am retiring the 1968 Empress.... And moving into a 2014 Flying Cloud! I am starting a new thread covering my winterization and life in the new trailer.

The Empress has been a fantastic trailer, but after two years, I am ready for year round water and a little more "plushness". I plan to retire the Morso coal stove (a great stove, but I don't want coal soot on my new baby and the new trailer needs something with a smaller footprint). Stay tuned for further updates.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:03 PM   #111
2 Rivet Member

Every Where , USA
I smell Kimberly - or am I off base?
Old 06-05-2014, 11:10 PM   #112
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Anchorage , Alaska
Quote:
I smell Kimberly - or am I off base?

Right on target, I am seriously considering a Kimberly.

Tags