Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2014, 03:13 PM   #121
janeinthemtns

1985 31' Excella
near Chama , New Mexico
I'm in the mountains @ 7, 400' north central New Mexico. Same weather here, but it warms up above freezing during the day except when it doesn't. I ran an electric heater in the AS last winter to see what would happen. Just like they say, one electric heater heats the AS to 20 degrees above outside temperature. So when it's -30F it's -10F in the trailer. Awesome frozen. I have a smallish, airtight Jotul woodstove I plan to install. Wood only. I can't burn coal. Makes me deathly ill. I hated to tear out that old tamboor cabinet in the living room. I couldn't get the sliding part out in one piece. One night at 3AM I just ripped it out of there. Now I need to pull out the cabinet, install the engineered flooring and cork underlayment, touch up some paint and install the stove. I'm afraid of mold, so I'm going to skirt with roofing tin. We did that in Alaska and it worked great. I don't plan on using the water system. I don't have any running water out here on the ranch anyway. In those days in Alaska, I was married to a pipefitter so if everything blew up it wasn't such a big deal.
janeinthemtns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 03:05 PM   #122

Currently Looking...
Minot , North Dakota
So here is where I'm at so far. Floor removed so that I can sand and paint the frame, seal and preserve the belly pan, insulate and install heating conduit under the sub floor. Expenses thus far.
Riviet gun and rivets=$30.

wire wheel for rust removal= free hand me down.

Needle scaler for rust removal=29.99 harbor freight.

Insulation r11 unfaced 8 bats=free from construction site dumpster!

12-15 hrs of time

No I don't have any other threads going this is the first I have posted to a thread about this subject.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1404507088664.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	215663   Click image for larger version

Name:	1404507139152.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	215664  

Name:	1404507172235.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	215665   Click image for larger version

Name:	1404507217833.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	215666  

Name:	1404507250542.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	215667  
hankthetank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 05:27 PM   #123
2 Rivet Member

1969 29' Ambassador
Post Falls , Idaho
1972 Silver Streak Supreme Luxury Liner

I have been living in trailers since 1986 and wouldn't live any other way.
Started out in a 1968 25 foot Silver Streak I bought in in '86 in Visalia, CA and lived in it in Kerman, CA on my buddy's 30 acre raisin vineyard for a few years then moved down to Alhambra, CA to care for my elderly great aunt until her death at age 94 in 1994. Lived next to the garage from 87 to 94 then moved back to Kerman until I moved up to Coeur d Alene ID in 1998.
Bought my present 34 foot Silver Streak out of Lewiston, ID in 1998 and have lived in it ever since in Coeur d Alene, Rathdrum and Athol where I am now. In 2008 I had a lot of money bought at 42 foot deluxe KZ toy hauler that was basically a building on wheels. Never towed it. Had it until 2010 until I went broke in the gold market. Got rid of the deluxe trailer before it was going to be repossessed and moved back into the Silver Streak. Had sold off the 25 foot Silver Streak about 2003 for two grand. Glad I never got rid of the 34 foot SS because I would be homeless without it.
I've lived through winters up here since 1998 with no problems using kerosene heaters and then moved to Olympic catalytic propane heaters. Now shopping for an old wood stove (pot belly type) for when we can't get fuels anymore when the whole society collapses soon.
I would love to have a Kimberly heater, but $3700??? No way.
I re-insulated the paneling in the front room years ago with Reflectix and pink insulation where I could, I may have used some spray foam too...don't remember. I put Reflextics in all the windows which is the difference between having the door open or closed.
Temps up here go down to single digits or the teens for a two week period just about every year and I get giant ice slabs from snow melting off the roof and the front door has looked like the inside of my freezer as well as the aluminum window frames showing frost.
I don't vent the catalytic heater so I get a lot of condensation that drips down to the wood floor, so I don't have carpeting. When I do have carpeting I lay it down in sections so I can pull it out and take it outside and hose it down and then use my Hoover rug vacuum to suck the dirty water out of it. Then I use rug shampoo and suck it out again. When the rug get too worn, I just buy more remnant carpet and use the old rugs for templates.
I put a good tarp or plastic sheeting over the top in winter to keep the snow from sticking.
Ive traveled all over hell and gone back when I could afford fuel and travel with a chest freezer which I keep running with four L16 batteries and a large inverter and two solar panels and a Craftsman generator that I keep in the back of my truck and run all night when I'm sleeping. Worked for months.
Now I have a huge Onan 5000 watt Generator on a platform I put on the rear of the trailer and a small Harbor Freight Generator for running tools or small appliances if the large stuff doesn't work. I have ten L16 batteries in a lawn tractor trailer behind the trailer which are too many and too heavy to travel with, but i can get by with four if I go nomad. Keep your batteries healthy by using a product called BATTERY EQUALIZER. It's worth it. They are in San Marcos, CA. It's pricey but worth it. Batteries aren't cheap!!

I'll try to put up pictures now and then and offer info to anyone who needs help full timing it in an old, or even new, trailer.

I've tried hay bales around the bottom and plastic sheeting. Hay bales make a big mess and plastic is hard to attach even with cold weather tape. In recent winters, I haven't used anything but my catalytic heater and an electric blanket.

I stay in the trailer almost all the time working on the computer and watching TV as I am nearly 70 this year in November and have two replaced knees, one replaced shoulder and metal rods in my back from motorcycle accidents and hard parachute landings so I hurt all the time and am very happy to sit on my ass and stay comfortable when I can.

I may be going nomad soon as the people where i'm living want me out pretty soon.

I don't have the income anymore to afford most RV parks up here and there aren't that many nice ones that are year round that don't have creepy people and meth freaks living in them. When on the road you have to deal with the state and local police harassing you for nothing.

Right now a major thunder storm is coming in so I better close off before the power goes out.

Just went out to take a few pics of the trailer and the stuff I have around it. I'll show the inside when I clean it up.

I put up T posts around the outside and attach some garden netting stapled to one by twos that I used to hand from the awning tube for privacy but now I use it for a privacy curtain around all my stuff. the small garden trailer in back of the SS has by L16 batteries in it with an old inflatable hot tube on top of it for sun and water protection.
I have a washer and dryer under the awning along with a huge microwave/convection oven I took out of the deluxe RV I ditched. Also have my barbeque under the plastic sheeting and a Big Chief electric smoker under the covers. I have had a metal storage shed in the past but they're expensive, need a wood floor and aren't strong enough to handle snow loads up here.
I have a 30 foot Airstream I gutted and turned in to a work shop and storage trailer. Much easier to move about and store than renting storage lockers.

I have an 1985 F350 diesel dually that i'm repairing and use for towing and also my 1975 Dodge B200 van that I bought new for $5800 and won't ever give up. I've been from Alaska and Yukon Territory down into Baja California in it and sleep in it instead of renting a room. I love it, but she can't tow heavy stuff up hills very well.

I'll try to take better pics later. It's getting dark here because the thunder storm is coming in now. It's a very severe storm with 65 mph gust in Spokane and could cause bad flooding from the giant 240,000 acre fires we just had over in Washington. Those poor folks! Over 100 homes got burned up and now this heavy rain. It's always something!

Cedric Ward
Athol, ID
CEDRICWARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 05:44 PM   #124
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Anchorage , Alaska
Great info here Cedric! I think I may be a life long trailer person too, the mobility is so advantage full. I'm still decided on the plan for heating the new Airstream, I really want the Kimberly, but it is very costly. At that price I can travel to the lower 48 for winter. By the way, I also think the electric blanket is the way to go! Best of luck finding a new parking spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
StreamlineAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 01:48 PM   #125
janeinthemtns

1985 31' Excella
near Chama , New Mexico
I pulled the tambor cradenza out of my 32' Airstream and will put my smallish Jotul airtight woodstove in there vented out the window per StreamlineAK advice. We are regularly -30/f here in north central NM. I've done AK too. I wouldn't use catalytic heaters or hay bales due to possibility of mold contamination. Good luck to all of us.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:23 PM   #126
2 Rivet Member

1969 29' Ambassador
Post Falls , Idaho
I was in the process of posting pics of my present situation just as a severe thunderstorm was hitting Spokane and North Idaho where I am. The power went out at 5pm PST Wednesday and just came back on at about 4pm Thursday. It's cloudy so my solar panels aren't charging my batteries. When the power went out I turned on my Harbor Freight inverter and ran my TV to get the news. I could have run my computer with a second cord but I didn't want to drain my batteries, and starting up my larger generators means I have to put that horrible ethanol gas in it and then drain it and clean the carbs if I shut it off for more than a week or two. I justed waited for the power to come back on but still no power at about 7:30am PST today so I powered up my small Harbor Freight generator to run the refrig in the garage than I'm running full blast to keep some meats frozen. My stand up Kenmore freezer died two months ago and it costs a fortune (more than the purchase price) to repair it if it's the compressor. I'm just going to buy another chest freezer and keep it in the living room area of my trailer like I did years ago when I had a $30 Montgomery Ward chest freezer I bought used and had for years until I decided to get a stand up when I had my deluxe toy hauler. I gave the chest freezer to a neighbor and it's still working! I'll never do that again.
So, I'm going to post my photos on this post.

I haven't read all the posts in this thread yet, but I will tonight and then comment on what I have been doing for about thirty years now as a full timer in all kinds of weather and conditions.

The pics were taken in a rush as the storm was moving in, so it was getting dark. Things are a bit of a mess right now as I am selling things to net down for a future move. I'm much more tidy and organized that the pics show, but I've got a lot of repairs going on. I took more pics but the limit per post is ten pics, so here are the first ten.

I saw a clone of my trailer at an RV dealer in town today. I must stop and see what they're asking for it. I bet they want about Ten Grand. I paid five for mine in '98 just because I couldn't find any good 34 footers up here.
Right after I bought mine for five grand, I visited my friend in Kerman who found on identical to mine with pristine outer skin for only three grand!!!

He remodeled inside and did a good job as far as he had gotten when I saw it. I wish I could have found a beauty like that. Mine is functional but is starting to look ragged outside, but I don't care. I have all the tools and polishes to make it look like a mirror, but I just never find the time to do it.
It's a big job and would make the rig more acceptable in more RV parks that limit the age of rigs that can stay there.

That's all for now.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00302.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	217300   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00303.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	217301  

Name:	DSC00304.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	217302   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00305.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	217303  

Name:	DSC00306.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	217304   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00307.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	217305  

Name:	DSC00308.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	217306   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00309.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	217307  

Name:	DSC00314.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	217308   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00315.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	217309  

Old 07-25-2014, 07:14 PM   #127
janeinthemtns

1985 31' Excella
near Chama , New Mexico
I found some good quaility 10'X15" hay tarps. I put one on the front of the Airstream and might put two more the length of it. Drains rain out away from the trailer seams. Some oxidation, but I have vowed never to do that shiney thing anyway. I'm still plugged into a 20amp circuit at the house. Should do to charge bats. Works for everything but the AC and Micro which I don;t use anyway. What goes on inside that trailer?
Old 07-25-2014, 07:16 PM   #128
janeinthemtns

1985 31' Excella
near Chama , New Mexico
I can't use any of my awnings due to high wind here in the mountains. The AS doesn't move a inch tho even though it's broadside to the wind. I worried about that, but no need for concern with the aerodynamic design.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:53 PM   #129
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Anchorage , Alaska
My new thread if anyone is interested!

http://www.airforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123255

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
StreamlineAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:20 AM   #130
2 Rivet Member

1969 29' Ambassador
Post Falls , Idaho
Hank,
Is that an older model Silver Streak?
I have a 1976 Supreme Luxury Liner 34 footer.
I have lived in it since 1998 after starting out in a 25 foot Silver Streak.
The underside skin has detached under the rear where the dump tanks are.
I have to patch it up before I move soon. Not much clearance
Old 08-02-2014, 03:17 PM   #131
2 Rivet Member

1969 29' Ambassador
Post Falls , Idaho
I apparently broke one of the rules!

Got this email yesterday from the moderators:

This is the message that was sent:

Cedric,

I'm writing to tell you that the moderators have deemed one of your posts (just a small part of it, actually) to have violated our community rules (http://www.airforums.com/forums/misc...ork&page=rules) against posting on inflammatory political and/or religious topics.

I want to be clear that we realize that 95% of the post contained pertinent information based on your experience with the topic. Because of that, I'm including the text of your post without the problematic part so you can easily repost the non-controversial part it if you choose. Specifically, your opinions about impending societal collapse and the link to your blog are not in keeping with the Airstream focus of AIRForums.

David
-- on behalf of the site team"

I guess my post has been deleted, so I'll re-post it here minus the 'rule breaking parts" and some small additional tips.

HERE IT IS:

Tried to post this last week, but it wouldn't take.

I've lived full time in Silver Streak trailers since 1986 and learned everything through EXPERIENCE. Currently in North Idaho since 1998 and endured all kinds of winters (no two are every the same up here), even a record breaking snowfall a few years back for the area since 1950 where we couldn't find places to pile the snow...about 93 inches!

Firstly, these trailers usually have the un-insulated water lines up against the walls of the trailer allowing the outside cold to freeze them more quickly. I moved mine away from the walls using PEX line and compression fittings. I NEVER USE CITY PRESSURE WATER! I only use my water pump and keep it off when not using it.

This eliminates the possibility of a water line break spreading water under pressure. Most leaks start out with a slow drip, but if you have city water pressure a compression fitting or damaged line can explode and the water will keep flowing flooding your trailer maybe when you are not there. Most trailers have the flooring and carpeting laid down before the cabinets are installed leading to a wick effect from a small leak being absorbed into the carpet and finally spreading out to where you 'may' discover it when it reaches an area where you will feel it if you are bare footed. Usually you can't see it if your carpeting is dark.

I put heating tape on all my water lines AND got access to the P trap under the shower and put a heat tape around it to keep it from freezing the drain and keeping the shower water from draining. Yes...it has frozen many times when I don't plug in the heat tape. Also, you have to put heat tape around all the exposed drain line you can get to, especially the drain pipe that you attach your drain hose to. It will freeze up and you will have to use a hair dryer and chip out the ice before you can drain your systems. It's better to just leave it open and put a large insulation wrap around the drain hose all the way to the dump tank. You can find an insulated heat wrap (insulation with a wire spring around it and wrapped in plastic) at a Home Depot type store. Whatever you leave exposed WILL FREEZE and stop any drainage until you can thaw it out. Letting water out can be more trouble than bringing water IN the trailer. You can always catch your gray water in a dish pan and throw it out rather than putting it down a drain to possibly freeze.

I have had my water system freeze up many times and had to resort to a water bottle for coffee and spit bathes for days at a time until the system would thaw out during the day, sometimes for a week or more. That's because I wasn't using the things I'm telling you to do BEFORE your system can freeze up.

As far as the toilet problem, I have a bad back and have been peeing in a hospital urine bottle for years because it's too disruptive to my sleep and too painful to have to get up at night. I just pour it out in the yard the next day.

Just be careful and not keep pouring it near plants you want to live. I think I killed an apple tree once.

I had the foot pedal on my toilet freeze up frequently so I couldn't flush the toilet. The mechanism is above the floor line so I couldn't figure out why it would freeze. But, I have cats and their water dish would freeze sitting on the floor, so it gets pretty cold on the floor.

That's why you should skirt your trailer if you are going to be stationary for a long time. A quick skirting is black plastic and cold weather tape. Just be sure the surfaces are dry or the tape won't stick. Forget duct tape...it doesn't work and leave glue all over your trailer. Even Gorilla Tape sucks.

As for pooping, I once had the toilet freeze, so I just ran out into the woods to take a dump. Then I got to thinking about a portable toilet until I realized I already had one! So now I just put a 13 gallon plastic trash can liner in the toilet and even leave it for a couple of dumps before I take it out, tie it off and put it in the trash can outside and eventually take it to the local dump where we have to take our trash...no trash pickup here.

It's not gross folks except for those of you who have more than one person using the toilet. You will have to just change the plastic bag after each person's use. I get a big roll of plastic trash can liners at Walmart or Kmart where they are cheapest. You should have a good backup supply before the society collapses and you can’t get these simple supplies easily. A large pump bottle of Febreze liquid is great for any odors. I get mine at Lowe's where they have large bottles unlike the spray cans at the market. I'm shocked how good Febreze is. Much better than other house deodorants I've used in the past.

I don't have a septic system where I am now, so this is a workable solution.

You DO NOT want to have anything in your waste tanks during a freeze as it will freeze solid and you WILL NOT get it to unthaw until you get regular warm weather. DO NOT TEST THIS! You will regret it.

One suggestion to clean a black tank was to put cubed ice in the tank and some water and drive down the highway. It might help clean out crusted on gunk. Better still is to get one of the flexible hose tank cleaners you attach to a hose to clean your tank regularly. I do, and it works. Also, use the tank liquid with coconut oil in it. You can also store the trailer with RID IT bacterial granules to let them eat the gunk out. It will also help the septic tank where you finally dump your tanks. You should not leave your tanks dry when storing as the gunk will dry out and become cement in your tanks.

Living in a trailer is simple if you just use your common sense and don't try to make it like living in a penthouse or try to impress other people who have a distorted perception of how people should live.

Live and let live, I say...as long as you don't 'let live' on, or next to, me.

As long as people can't SEE IT...they won't complain. So don't pollute your area.

Live green and naturally.

I'm glad to give practical advice about any subject.
I'm almost 70 and have lived a full life and experienced much.
You will profit from my advice in the future if you find living the American Dream becomes difficult and wind up in a trailer.

I hope this post is now acceptable to our eagle eye moderators.
Old 08-02-2014, 04:30 PM   #132

Currently Looking...
Minot , North Dakota
I beleive it is either a 1966 or 67 streamline count. 32 feet.
hankthetank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 09:20 AM   #133
janeinthemtns

1985 31' Excella
near Chama , New Mexico
I live @ 7,500' el in north central NM. I installed a marine composting toilet, but since I live and work on a large cattle ranch, I never use it. I never put any water into the lines of my Airstream. I insulated with 48" bubble wrap covered with double sided aluminum space age insulation inside the AS. I have a center bath and heat water in an old house for baths in a large canning kettle. I let the water drain directly through the grey water outlet and have never had any trouble with it freezing although only the bath is heated for a bath. This year I'm only heating the bedroom with a small electric heater. I put bubble wrap iin the doorways of the bedroom and the kitchen. LR has no heat. I am mostly outside so it's not much different for me even when it's 15F in the LR. At -10F the bedroom is about 45F in the morning with the small ceramic element Polaris heater running half open. That's How I do it. When I have vegetables I leave them out in the kitchen with a blanket thrown over them to keep them from freezing. Everything in the fridge freezes.

Tags