Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Winter Living
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-10-2018, 03:28 PM   #1
honi soit qui mal y pense

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Airstream Science Quiz?

This is your Airstream science quiz. OK suppose you mistakenly left your rig out in the cold without winterizing. No heat. Nothing damaged however the water lines froze in the galley, shower, & bath sink. How cold did it get overnight? What do you think is the absolute safest overnight low temp without causing plumbing damage? Factor in the duration of low temp and maximum day time temp. Good luck. You have one hour to solve this quiz before the parts store closes for the weekend.
2016 Chev Silverado LT Crew 4x4
Robere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 12:12 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
It doesn’t matter. If it even might get below freezing overnight,I’m winterized.

Not worth trying to second guess the weather, as Mother Nature can be a b#|<h, especially if I’m doing the guessing...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 08:41 PM   #3
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
28f

Some (hopefully useful) Airstream videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/journeymanvideos
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 10:52 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
What was the wind blowing in the open to outside weak spots. Was the water pressurized or no pressure. What was the humidity.
I've seen pipes frozen but not broken go ahead and freeze when the pressure was let off the lines. It's possible to have super cooled situations but not likely, I've seen liquid water at -0.5C before. But then it freezes with any movement. I've seen a water line freeze adjacent to a hot water heater with a wind blowing on one spot of bad insulation.
If your intuition is worrying you about winterizing, you best be winterizing. I use an air compressor blow in the garden hose with electric tape wrapped until I can hold the nozzle tite against the hose. Blow till there's mist coming out every faucet hot and cold, then pour some alcohol into the hose and blow that in till there's alcohol coming out each faucet, hot and cold. The cheap vodka, takes less than a fifth. Slow part is draining the water heater and bypassing the water heater. Takes about a half hour with some practice.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 05:55 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Air temp is only one of dozens of variables.

Thus the question cannot be answered without additional data points IMO.

GIGO
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 05:59 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Here we consider a hard freeze to be 28 degrees or less for at least four hours.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote