Old 01-17-2009, 08:33 PM   #29
Commercial Member
1967 30' Sovereign
Los Lunas , New Mexico
Yes, same here. We burn wood in the evenings and nights through the main part of winter, and it is messy ... and involves a huge amount of work. On the other hand, compared to the forced-air heating system, it's very quiet, the heat is soothing, and it heats the house very well.

At this point, I think we have enough wood left for about three or four more weeks, but by then the temps should start moderating some anyway. Heaven forbid that we go seriously downhill again on the weather, because we're reading less than 70% on propane, and we're completely inaccessible to the delivery trucks, given the snowpack.

WBCCI 21043
eubank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 10:24 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member
2008 31' Classic
Ft. Lauderdale , Florida
will stay in florida

its 57 at 12:30am, AC has not run for over a week! After reading these posts I have now lost my motivation to try "winter camping".

chaimemet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 05:29 PM   #31
Site Team
1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
I was going to ask whether that -26 was F or C degrees, but then I remembered that at -44 they are the same.

So, no matter how you measure it, -26 is dang! cold.

We had -39­C here (with winchchill) last week, I think it was Thursday. Now THAT made for a frosty time shovelling the driveway. But the air, it's like... sharp as a tack, super clean. Actually, I gotta admit, I love winter, and I don't even ski!

Of course, the key is to dress for it. You don't, you can be in very bad shape VERY fast, if you do, it's fun!
Aage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 11:15 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member
1973 31' Sovereign
Cold Lake , Alberta

Originally Posted by markdoane View Post

Thats darn cold.

I believe if it gets much colder, the oxide layer on your aluminum skin will start to slough off, leaving your Sovereign with a perfect mirror finish. Please report if this is true.
In Alberta where my Airstream is parked it regularly gets down to the -40f mark in winter. And the oxide layer is still firmly attached. lol
trucker101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:13 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member
1972 25' Tradewind
Innisfail , Alberta
Well, here in central Alberta, it has finally warmed up enough to get out and do some work on the Airstream-would be nice if the cold temperatures did peel off the clearcoat-but it just doesn't happen-so I've been using Circa 1850 paint stripper and-believe it or not-Gel-Gloss to polish and it's doing a great job. Will try and post some pictures when the job's done. Happy trailering;
Garth & Joanne

gtijewlr is offline   Reply With Quote