Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Winter Living
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-24-2009, 08:36 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
colstrip , Montana
2 plus years in our airstream now

we have it in our new garage right now, as building a house ourselves - we'll prob. have to sell the airstream when house is done as that ended up way over time and budget as they tend to do.. we'll see we will miss this airsteam .. it hasn't been as hard as i thought it would be but i do wish for my own washer and dryer soon .. we may be her this Christmas yet and that would be our third Christmas in it. the house is causing stress that our airsteam renovation never did. the airstream wen't thru winters in montana very well. all appliances and furnace etc still doing great. happiness may be in smaller packages after all. the foil bubble insulation was a good move for winterizing. only thing that would be better would be a good thermapane that fit over these original windows.
Old 10-24-2009, 10:08 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
I just went through that myself. I'm just finishing up my house now and spent just under a year in my Airstream. Me and the dogs were very comfortable and had no issues through the winter.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 11:03 AM   #3
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
Wintering in AS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmagpie View Post
the foil bubble insulation was a good move for winterizing.
Where specifically did you install the foam bubble (assume referring to Reflectrix) insulation in your trailer? We have an external temperature sensor, which we set outside on top of our wheels. In the winter, we found that the sensor registered 5-10 degrees greater than the actual outdoor temperature. Figured that we were radiating heat from the wheel wells, so plan to install reflectrix inside over the wheel wells.

Quote:
only thing that would be better would be a good thermapane that fit over these original windows.
Agreed - have approached Airstream & guess they never had that option for a "storm" window. Have often thought about removing screens & putting that plastic stuff that's set with a hairdryer over the screen frame.

All the best with your new house!
whitelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 11:13 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelight View Post
... Have often thought about removing screens & putting that plastic stuff that's set with a hairdryer over the screen frame.
I used that in my Trade Wind. There was a window right by the bed. It actually worked surprisingly well.
Old 10-24-2009, 11:45 AM   #5
Rivet Master

I cut a set of 1/8" plywood panels to the same size as my screens, and then adhered Prodex insulation to the side that faces out. Same thing for the ceiling vents. When they are all in place the inside can be almost completely blacked-out in the middle of the day, and the temperature stays very moderate on a very hot(90+) day. I can use them in some windows if I want to block the view into or out of the Airstream also. I removed the interior panels and insulated with two layers of prodex throughout, which also made a huge difference.

Rich the Viking
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 05:43 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
colstrip , Montana
we did a total gut and renovation with new aluminum walls inside.. so we put 4 or 5 layers of the foil bubble insulation (pretty sure it was 5 -whatever fit) anyway it is inside entire trailer, then did reg. insulation over wheel wells.. also did reg insulation in floor... we did remove holding tanks and insulated that space as well turning it into a park model but if anyone in future wanted they could just put holding tanks in again by removing insulation we just wanted it as warm as possible. .. we did stick some of the foil bubble insul in windows by bed.. in harshest weather but no visibility then.. the clear plastic is prob way to go but i do think if someone convinced airstream to create storms they could make a lot of money