Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Floor Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-23-2008, 07:16 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Wood Laminate Flooring

Has anyone had any experience with wood laminate (snap together) flooring. We are thinking of putting it in our trailer, but the home imporvement stores have warned that it might warp due to humidity?
Fairleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 07:37 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Pergo has made some improvements over the years.

Older laminate flooring could warp if water got underneath the floor.
Some tradesmen got burned and swore off installing the product.
I heard that the manufacturers have made changes that address that issue. However, I have a friend who says that he loves pergo, because
he gets lots of work ripping out pergo. It seems that his customers don't like the sound and feel of the " fake " wood floors. That being said, I think
laminates are a good choice for a trailers. A floating floor works well
because the trailers flex while they are on the road.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 08:34 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
We just bought some to put in our trailer.... I looked at some that had real wood veneer and even considered cork, with 2 young kids and a lab that likes to run around Cork was just to soft... and the real wood would also scratch. Home Depot sells snap together cork of $2.99 sq ft... great price.. We got some Laminate flooring in maple for sam's club for $1.57 Sq ft... Not real wood but looks really nice and is just about impossible to scratch or dent....

Just watch out for Bamboo it will shrink and crack in dry climates.. Even the laminate. We had a friend put the bamboo laminate in his house in it still cracked and shrunk..

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:04 AM   #4
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
I have pergo, love it, wouldnt dream of changing it.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:26 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 24
Hudson , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to 2Alaska
I put Traffic Master in mine and I love it. It's been 2 years now and it looks perfect. I've had no trouble at all. I used the higher end barrier underneath since the area it so small the cost was not an issue. Mine was on clearance at HD and was under $1/ sqft. I've used Pergo in my house and love it as well.
~2Alaska
2Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 11:03 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I bought discontinued for a rock bottom price. I did not need that much so I really would not min replacing it several years down the road. It is very easy to insall. Some of the cuts are annoying but it is not that big of a deal

Lothlorian

Brian
Old 09-30-2008, 12:30 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

flint , Michigan
I think laminate is a great choice. That said, you usually get what you pay for. Price is determined by the Abrasion (AC) rating (AC1-AC5 with AC5 being the strongest for high traffic commercial areas), the core thickness (usually 6-12mm thick), core material (fiberboard is usually more expensive than particleboard), backing (melamine is better than paper and some also have an attached underlayment as well ), and construction method (HPL is more durable than DPL). Other factors to consider are the warranty (usually from 10-30 years) and the amount of detail in the decorative layer. I hope that helps you with your search.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:25 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1998 28' Excella
Dolores , Colorado
Last year we replaced the carpet in the kitchen and bathroom with a laminant that looks like slate. It is actually called a "floating floor" and it looks quite nice. We are considering taking the carpet out of the living room area and continuing on with the same style of flooring. Well worth the money. It wasn't on clearance but when you keep your trailer forever the cost/year is pretty low.

Bob
Member Four Corners Unit
WBCCI # 10105
dogpound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 03:13 PM   #9
vox
1 Rivet Member

Home depot in Canada has a new product that looks like laminate but goes down like tile. It has sticky tabs on one short and one long side of a rectangle that stick to the tabs of another. It floats like laminate and goes down very easy and is waterproof. Looks great, lots of colour options, installs way easier than laminate and is less weight. 25 year warranty. No warping.
Just put it in my Overlander so I dont have the box but a phone call to any home depot flooring dept at homedepot.ca will get you the name. It was something like 43.00 for 25 sq ft. but I got a discontinued colour that matches the walnut cabinets perfectly. That was only 21.00 a box!
vox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 03:15 PM   #10
vox
1 Rivet Member

also, it is thinner than laminate so no problem at thresholds and transitions.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:26 PM   #11
vox
1 Rivet Member

looked it up. It's called Allure. Reg price is 54.00 not 43.00, so the 21.00 I paid for the discontinued stuff was a steal. All I haD TO DO AT THE ROUND CORNERS WAS layup a large sheet of pieces, scribed it with a compass and then fit it to the corner. When it looked good I cut a template and used it to fit the other side. In it went.

Most is wood grain but there is a new faux cork which doesnt look too bad either.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:43 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1995 25' Excella
waynesboro , Virginia
Earlier this summer we installed a Tarkett product, Engineered Hardwood Flooring in our 73 Tradewind, it is a 25'.....the finished floor looks like a standard hardwood floor, however the material is 5/16 and much less in weight than regular flooring....it was an easy product to install and I am quite pleased with it....I was able to buy it through Lumber Liquidators, so the price was very reasonable....
waltero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 05:45 PM   #13
vox
1 Rivet Member

Had another look at the HD website. Allure is one of the lines of Trafficmaster mentioned earlier so it can be had in both US and Canada. By far one of the easiest floorings I have ever put in and looks ok for the money. If yours isnt a "boots-off " camper it's a good one to consider..........
Old 09-30-2008, 08:15 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2003 22' International
Waverly , Pennsylvania
I never did like the idea of carpet in a travel trailer, but couldn’t justify replacing brand new carpet. Finally after five years the carpet was stained enough that replacing it didn’t seem frivolous.

I originally planned on using a snap together laminate product. While shopping around for prices I was advised against laminate for two main reasons: 1) installing in an RV voids manufacturers warranty and 2) told laminate needs a relatively controlled environment. I wasn’t too worried about the warranty but my trailer sits in blazing sun in the summer and is covered with snow in the winter. My argument to the nay-sayers was according to what I had read on forums (this one and others) many owners had used laminate products and were thrilled with the results.

Everyone advised me to install a vinyl product. After a quick internet search I decided to install Marmoleum®. Unfortunately living in a small town has its disadvantages and couldn’t find a local vendor. </SPAN>Anyway, I had to make a quick decision as we had a four week trip planned and I was anxious to get on the road.

I eventually decided to install a vinyl floating floor product, Konecto™, and am pleased with the results. Just one problem arose, since the cabinetry was installed on top of the carpet there was a noticeable gap between the flooring and cabinets. This was covered up by installing a two inch cove molding to cover the gap. Not what I really wanted, but overall I am satisfied with the results.

As a side note - the installer remarked (despite the stains) my five-year-old carpet looked brand new. Airstream must have installed a quality product.
nayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 09:11 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
I ended up using Allure. It looks real nice, should hold up well, and was easy to install. I could cut it with scissors. 4 boxes was all it took.
Fairleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 10:43 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Ok, got my new floor in, you can see it here.http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...tml#post624551

Just need a little trim on curbside by the door is all.... rest is covered by cabinets... Got this stuff at sams club for $1.57 sq ft good deal.. and looks pretty good...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 03:02 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I used Armstrong because of the ease of the locking system and color match to the cabinets.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Full Floor.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	68922   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cabinets.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	68923  

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote