Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Floor Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-19-2013, 02:55 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
Why Marmoleum ?

Hi Folks

Many people are drawn to marmoleum.

I am curious why. Is it mainly because it is a green product or does it have other characteristics?

It is heavier and harder to install.

Does it wear longer the sheet vinyl? Or something else?

Thanks for your help

Tony
Tony S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
Buda , Texas
My question exactly, right now we are leaning heavily towards regular sheet vinyl, as has been installed in our last two trailers
Old 04-19-2013, 05:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
100% natural materials, durable as all get out and looks better than any vinyl options (subjective opinion), and suits the look of an Airstream better than anything else (another subjective opinion). It'll also last at least twice as long as vinyl.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:48 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Is it just pressed together paper like the old stuff? My wife has a house with the old stuff and it comes apart when it gets wet. Airstreams = Water. They are like a boat but the wet parts are on the inside.

In my opinion anything that holds and traps water is going to lead to rot and mold unless extrodinary care is taken to prevent water intrusion. This means keep it covered in a vacuum. Any water that gets under flooring is going to stay there.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:42 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
I used it because I couldn't find anything else that looked right for the vintage of my trailer. All of the vinyls that I found looked much too modern for our taste. I'm also confident that it is more durable than most vinyls. I'm sure that it is very water resistant. I've seen no evidence that it will absorb any water whatsoever. I'm sure it will outlive the rest of the trailer.
Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:49 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
I plan on looking at it tomorrow. See what it is all about.

I kind of hate to add another quarter inch of underlayment. That is 5 1/2 sheets. That is about 100lbs, plus the marmoleum.

I don't know what alternative will be different. Sheet vinyl will way a little less. I suspect engineered wood without the underlayment will be close but a little heavier but that is a guess.

Thanks for the input

Tony
Old 04-20-2013, 01:16 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Thumbs up Marmoleum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony S View Post
Many people are drawn to marmoleum.

I am curious why...does it have other characteristics?
1) I like the look of it - more natural, warmer colors.
2) It's more "period correct" for our 1956 trailer. Synthetic vinyl flooring didn't exist back then.
3) I hate the smell of off-gasing vinyl. Trailer is sealed up + temperature rises = the vinyl stinks.
4) More stable. Not going to stretch with the higher temps the trailer is subjected to.
5) Solid color for whole thickness - not layers of paper-like materials with a plastic coating like most inexpensive sheet vinyls.
6) More durable than most sheet vinyl. Layers don't separate & harder to gouge.
7) Nice underfoot - feels much better barefoot than the plasticky feel of vinyl.

I'm sure I can come up with more reasons...but these are the first reasons that came to my mind...we've had it in two Airstreams and are preparing to put it in our 1947 Curtis Wright Model 2 when we get around to restoring it.

Shari

P.S. We didn't add "a 1/4" of underlayment". It's not necessary if the floor is solid.
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:17 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
Shari

Good summary. I feel the same way about off gassing.

If I too can avoid the added weight of the ply underlayment I would be happy.

I have laid many vinyl floors over the years and prepared others for others so I can prep it to professional standards if that is all it takes.

I am about to install new floors in half the trailer ( A/B marine fir plywood) the rest is in very good shape.

Have others installed Marmoleum without underlayment?

Many thanks

Tony
Old 04-20-2013, 08:19 PM   #9
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Marmoleum is my favorite

Have others installed Marmoleum without underlayment?

Yes.
I epoxy the floor and "fair" it with thickened epoxy.

I use the "poured floor" instructions on page 11 of the Marmoleum installation guide.

When you read all the requirements for "warranted" or "certified" Marmoleum installation, a 3/4" plywood sub-floor in a travel trailer doesn't cut the mustard, but it is working for many folks.

I'm happy with the results so far. I love the look and feel of Marmoleum.

Good luck!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf IM_Residential_2008.pdf (539.3 KB, 200 views)

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:02 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
This morning I asked why Marmoleum? I think InsideOut had me at no off gassing.

This afternoon I became an owner of a 6'7 x 24' remanent. It is a nice grey color and is going to work out well.

At about $12.50 a yard I think I scored. I guess it helps me pay for the second quart of Por 15 at $46.00

I still hate to give up carrying capacity for its added weight but I very happy I bought it.

Top's method is expensive and a lot of a work but if it yields the results he got well who can argue with that.

I would love to hear other peoples method or those of the professionals they hired.

Tony
Old 04-21-2013, 07:01 AM   #11
Ahem, yasss ...kaff-kaff

1969 27' Overlander
Bloomington , Indiana
As a building contractor who has used Marmoleum in several projects, I give it 5 stars and a hearty thumbs up. In addition to all of the other positives mentioned, it is naturally anti-bacterial which is a plus if you have pets traveling with you. I've even used it for counter tops for this reason. If you do choose to go with underlayment, don't use the cheap luan because it has voids in it which obvoiusly will cause the flooring to fail. Approved underlayment is about $25 around here vs. $12 for luan. Make sure all fasteners, be they nails or staples are set well below the surface and fill them, as well as the seams between the sheets, with floor leveling compound. Any imperfection will "telegraph" to the flooring. The epoxy method will save weight, but if your concerned about off-gassing it might pay to check out how long it takes to cure.

I'm in the middle of rehabbing Betty's interior and will be adding underlayment throughout, with glue down cork everywhere except the bathroom where I'll install marmoleum - a nice remnant left over from a job. I would do the whole trailer with it, which brings me to my one complaint about the product, the price!

Good luck with your project, I'm sure it will look great.

Egad!

ps. for the low-down about all vinyl products, see
Welcome to Blue Vinyl
After I saw this film, I quit installing vinyl siding, flooring, etc.

egad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:21 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
For the record, there is off-gassing but it isn't chemical compounds that you're breathing in. Rather, it is the natural linseed oil used in the production of linoleum.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:57 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
In addition to the remanent I bought for the trailer, I ended up buying a small remanent for out home bath along with the original remanent that I wanted that was just a little short for the trailer but I like the color so much I got it for another bathroom in my house. I kind of got marmoleumitis.

*Top once again I am following your lead and ordered some penetrating epoxy and will use your method. Nothing succeeds like success.

For what it is worth I wanted to go with AeroMarine products which are very highly spoken of with the boat building folks. (I have a Tolman Skiff in my future, after the AS.) I am familiar with Mas and System Three which are name brands and many have found they like Aeromarine better. Just some info, I suspect all the name brands are good. Aeromarine is nicely priced for epoxy.

AeroMarine Products - Dry Rot Repair Epoxy

Tony
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1194.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	255.4 KB
ID:	184281   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1195.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	229.2 KB
ID:	184282  

Old 04-26-2013, 06:41 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
grants pass , Oregon
Flooring

Marmoleum is great stuff.Its real linoleum.
but its expensive.
The problem with flooring a trailer is waste.
I used FLOR carpet squares.
Its very easy to install and very little waste,plus they have lots of great color,texture choices.
I realize some/most don't want carpet.
It works great for me.

Mark
1987 Avion 32S
grants pass,or
Old 05-07-2013, 08:09 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony S View Post
In addition to the remanent I bought for the trailer, I ended up buying a small remanent for out home bath along with the original remanent that I wanted that was just a little short for the trailer but I like the color so much I got it for another bathroom in my house. I kind of got marmoleumitis.

*Top once again I am following your lead and ordered some penetrating epoxy and will use your method. Nothing succeeds like success.

For what it is worth I wanted to go with AeroMarine products which are very highly spoken of with the boat building folks. (I have a Tolman Skiff in my future, after the AS.) I am familiar with Mas and System Three which are name brands and many have found they like Aeromarine better. Just some info, I suspect all the name brands are good. Aeromarine is nicely priced for epoxy.

AeroMarine Products - Dry Rot Repair Epoxy

Tony
Where did you find all those remnants? I will be interested in hearing how installation goes.
GAStreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:01 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
I got the remnants at our local Color Tile. Way back all CT carried the same products, based on store size. Now a days they are independently owned. This one caters to commercial users.

I will post pics of the install. I currently have it epoxied and am fairing the joints and further preping the floor since the word is the Marmoleum telegraphs even more than sheet vinyl.

Tony
Old 07-06-2013, 11:05 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
I thought I would up date this thread and tell you how the installation went.

The installation went well. I epoxied the floor with a penetrating epoxy following the success and excellent results "Top" had.

I used a different brand epoxy. I use Aeromarine and liked it very much. I also built a custom shower pan with it by the stitch and glue method used in some boat building.

Anyway, I faired the joints with cabosil thicked epoxy and sanded it and sanded it some more. I am telling you it is a lot of work. I blended in some old solid plywood floor with the new marine plywood I installed. I epoxied the underside perimeter as well before installing. By the way I didn't bend the elevator bolts. I slapped epoxy on them and ,in some cases, also double nutted them.

I did a lot of sanding knowing how the marmoleum telegraphs every imperfection. The old floor between the wheel wells was solid but not flat I made it much better but short of perfect. I am all about craftsmanship but part of craftsmanship is to know when a trailer floor is not a piano. This is not an excuse it came out well.

I dry laid the M in after a couple of vacuuming and a hand wipe down with blue shop towels. It was 100 degrees in the trailer but the M was supple and just laid down like it was glued down. This showed me something I didn’t like I work that joint a little more and the results weren't bad.

I installed the M in the morning when the temp was about 75. I sweated through my shirt as I worked fast not wanting the mastic to skim over and not knowing how long I had before that happen. I used a 1/16" x 1/16" square notched trowel. It went well and when done immediately rolled it with 100lbs roller. I rolled it first across, then the length and on the diagonal and then the length again a time or two

By the way, you will notice I did not go under all the cabinets with the M. I am watching the weight of my changes and new installs. My M weights 9 oz per 12” x 12” and as we all know oz makes lbs.

Also I love the stuff. I love the smell of it. It smells much like the flax seed oil I use on my cutting boards I sell at shows.

Anyway a special thanks to Lance M. for his example on Abby.

Tony S
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF1828.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	216.6 KB
ID:	190363   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1829.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	176.7 KB
ID:	190364  

Name:	DSCF1834.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	221.0 KB
ID:	190365  
Old 07-07-2013, 08:16 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
one other thing, when I was applying the mastic. I first "key" it into the substrate. That is I used the flat side of the trowel before turning it over to the business side of the trowel, 1/16" x 1/16" square notch.

Now I wait and see that everything took and then preforms as expected.

Tony
Old 07-07-2013, 08:33 AM   #19
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Looks great! Nice work.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:10 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
Thanks Lance. If it is good it is cause of your example If it isn't it is my fault.

Tony