Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2011, 01:46 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
THEODORE , Alabama
What would you do?

Hi All, Joe here, I have a '71 overlander.The rear suffered from sag and separation when I got her and have since replaced all rotten wood, new axels, new fridge,new interior lights,new blinds,fresh paint,fantastic vent,new screens,window seals. I used a peel and stick floor tile from Lowes and it was beautiful for about a year and a half. After two hot summers in Mobile Al. just sitting in the back yard the tile is curling at some of the edges. The only traffic it has had is the ocassional walk through dreaming of a maiden voyage. I read one thread where someone spoke of the same flooring using the same method I used. {sanding high spots, filling low spots, milky primer used for peel and stick and then glue}........... wait a minute, I did not use glue. Peel and stick has glue right. Yes it does. But apparently not enough. I believe it was OVERLANDER63 who mentioned the glue on the back of the tiles would fail under extreme temperatures. I can only imagine that it gets upwards of 105 degrees in the summer inside my airstream. I am heart broken but not hopeless. Should I rip it all up, reprep and apply new,same brand with glue . If so, do I remove everything as was the case when I installed or just tear out what I can see and let whats underneath the beds and bath go. Maybe use another brand, another type, another color????????????? ARGGG... Just kick the football charlie brown. I know in the end I have more work ahead of me and that is OK. I just want to do the right thing . Chime in here anyone that can type. I know what I have done wrong, what can I do to make it right. Don't worry about hurting my feelings, I don't have any left after seeing my floor and remembering all of the work that I put into this project. Oh by the way , You do know what you call a double do.Thats right, DO-DO
WUZENTME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 02:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Fix the ones that are mal functioning and as they come loose in the future- fix them as it happens. Don't let your house become a burden.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
I hate hate hate do overs but in the end I bite the bullet and figured if I've done it once I can do again only faster and better.

For me it would depend on how many have pealed.

If a more than XX have started pealing I would redo the exposed floor, if only a few then one at a time.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Messy Tiles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WUZENTME View Post
Should I rip it all up, reprep and apply new,same brand with glue .

Just some friendly advice: I bought a 93' Excella and the PO laid the same tile that you have. After getting her home we found floor rot. The do it yourselfer I am I jumped into this project and replacing the sub floor wasnt that bad. The WORST part of the entire job is getting the tiles up that the PO GLUED down with some sort of heavy duty glue. Now I am left with a sub floor with a very sticky surface and it get all over everything(boots, clothing, gloves, tools ect.) So I would go against using more glue to keep the tiles down and maybe look into a floating floor of some kind. Just my opinion the glue makes a huge mess for down the road repairs.
Good luck with your flooring.
Mr & Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:50 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbuckled View Post
Fix the ones that are mal functioning and as they come loose in the future- fix them as it happens. Don't let your house become a burden.
If you do this, and put the new ones in with glue, then you can see how that works out.

I always ask myself, what would Bush 41 do? What is prudent?
Old 02-18-2011, 09:19 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
The proper preparation of the floor is to "milk" the raw wood with Jasco Adhesive Primer. Then apply Armstrong S750 adhesive - then your self stick tile - rolling them with a hand flooring roller as they go down. Without the Jasco and Armstrong the heat softened your self stick adhesive and it was absorbed by the raw wood - allowing your tile to lift.

If you want to start over, the left over stickiness can be cut with Citristrip and a scraper or mineral spirits. You could try lifting the loose tiles and applying a thin coat of S750 with a cheap china bristle brush (cut it back about half to stiffen it) and then replace and roll the tile. The problem will likely continue to spread but it will give you some time.

We installed self adhesive tile three years ago and have had no lifting. I will tell you though that when I do take it up I'll float Allure the next time.
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:22 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
Stevens Point , Wisconsin
Wuz,
We used a one piece sheet vinyl in ours. A lot of folks have been putting in the snap together floating floors. They look really nice and you wouldn't have to remove the cabinets.
Tim
Beaker63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 04:37 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
1950 22' Liner
Powhatan , Virginia
If they still look good, I would just re-glue the tiles as they come up as mentioned above.

We gutted ours so had all the options available... We ended up using epoxy on the plywood underfloor in a tan color and left that open under cabinets, bed, couch, etc. We put a floating floor, snap together type on the exposed floor areas and trimmed around cabinets. The reason I went this route is so we could check for any floor rot first hand around 95% of the perimeter without having to remove any flooring. It has held up through one summer great and still have my fingers crossed on the longevity.
Proud to be Air #37137
Bowmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:48 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
THEODORE , Alabama
Thanks all, It is amazing what a couple of days of relaxing will do for the soul. And the words from AIRBUCKLED,"Don't let your house become a burden. " That just kind of put everything in perspective. I went back in my little beauty and lifted a couple of tiles and tried the glue described by GANGLIN ,Armstrong S750 adhesive . I did not repair all, just the most obvious, and so far I like what I see. Time will tell. The tiles are definitely sticking to the floor . I think I'll give it a couple of days and before I commit to the rest . Thanks everyone, Sometimes a person just needs to know they are not alone.That is the great thing about this place. Someone has been there done that.
Sincerely
Joe
WUZENTME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 04:18 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
Indeed.