Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Floor Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-02-2005, 11:16 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

What to do with carpet under cabinets?

Someone may well have answered this question, but darned if I can find anything on the subject. I have a 1996 21ft Sovereign. I just had the clearcoat redone by Bill McIntyre out in Oregon (he gets my highest recommendations by the way) and now I’m wanting to fix up the inside. There isn’t much to do, but I have to get rid of this cream-colored carpet (whose idea was it to put cream colored carpet in an Airstream!!). I plan on putting in a laminate or vinyl tile of some kind (recommendations welcome), but the problem I can't solve is what to do with the carpet that goes under the cabinets, fridge, bed, everything! On the one hand, if I cut too close to the edge, over time, movement/vibration may lead to the carpet working itself out from under the cabinet/bed/etc in places leaving them only partially supported, which will lead to cabinets cracking etc. On the other hand, leaving much more than half an inch creates aesthetic issues (i.e. how to cover it up). Is it typical for carpet to go under everything? Any ideas on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I read about the movement/cracking issues. Are these still a concern when one is using a floating floor that isn't glued to the plywood subfloor?

Thanks for any advice. Nick
Nicksut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 11:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Leave it under..

Nick-

Welcome to Forum! Now that you've registered, you have access to "Search" feature using link at top in upper blue bar. Click on it, and type in floor or hardwood or bamboo or carpet and you'll see a lot of strings of messages on the subject... Quite a few members have done their own flooring. We had ours redone in carpet in 2004, and paid an installer ~ $100 to do the removal of old and instlalation of new carpeting in Excella 25...

The shortest answer I can give is that Airstream lays carpet before installing cabinets, so all are on top. Consensus of re-furbishers (including our 1988 recarpet job) is to cut at front edge of cabinet, and trust weight and mounting screws to keep carpet from popping out. Lay floating floor to within approx 3/16ths of edges, and then use quarter round moldings to cover edges.. Wood grain linoleum or vinyl also an option, and trailer that length should not have major floor cracking problems from flexing.

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 07:27 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
I just cut the carpet as close as I could. I have a 94 and put down vinyl tile and used it for two seasons. Just pulled that up and put down laminate, sams club product with a built in pad. I am very pleased with the results.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 09:54 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Laminate in 3 years ago - still looks brand new

Carpet was left under cabinets - "floating" floor lamiate installed and it's still in brand new condition after three years.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SinkCover2.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	12592  

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 02:32 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Thanks!!

Thanks for the responses. What a great resource and what a great group of helpful people!!! Cheers, Nick
Old 06-04-2005, 05:18 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Laminate works really well

Nick,

Dump the carpet - you'll never regret it. I did it the same way as mentioned here, just thought I'd share the pics.

Dave
Attached Images

zoom240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 09:53 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

wasco , Oregon
Question for Nicksut!

Not to change the subject of your thread, but, who is "Bill McIntyre out in Oregon"? You know, the one that did your clearcoat. How do I contact him?

I have a 1988 290 classic motorhome with some clearcoat problems that I might like to have him look at, since I live in Oregon.

thanks Bob

P.S. Anyone else know this man?
wascobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 09:46 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Dick McIntyre is...

(sorry, got his first name wrong in my original post) the original creator of clearcoat... worked for Airstream for years and knows the material inside and out. He operates out of a yard about 1/2 hr outside Eugene. His tel # is 888-912-9572 . Just leave a msg and he'll return your call.

I originally got his number from this post: http://www.airforums.com/forums/member.php?u=2326

He refinishes 3-4 trailers a month, charging $85/ft.

Cheers, Nick

Old 06-05-2005, 11:41 PM   #9
Rivet Master

We just cut the carpet around the cabinets and left it. Put down a ¼ inch plywood base and than the vinyl. Love the vinyl and have no problems with the carpet under the cabinets or vinyl moving. It would have been a pain in several parts of the anatomy to remove the carpet from under the cabinets. It adds a little sound deadening and a bit of insulation.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote