Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Floor Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-24-2016, 03:39 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I think luxury woven fabric would take more effort to keep clean than a vinyl after looking the Infinity video several times.

Kelvin
Old 01-25-2016, 07:08 AM   #62
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Airstream Coach - Other
ancramdale , New York
thank you Kelvin...i will most probably go with it,looks great, easy to install in my small Safari Sport...just me and my small dog ( min-pin)video is very helpful ....i will post a photo when done...M.V.
la nomade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 07:51 AM   #63
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Holly Springs , Mississippi
Why do so few like carpet? I fitted some over a vinyl floor in my last RV and loved it--easy on the feet, warm, etc. ...but it did have to be vacuumed.

2016 FC 25' FB twin
2013 F-150 Lariat CrewCab 3.5 EB 4X4 3.55 axle
Bob662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 09:15 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
We have carpet in the bedroom of our 2008 Classic 25fb. It looks a little dingy now. I couldn't imagine carpet through the rest of the trailer. We have a rug in the living area and a hall runner to add a little color and they get grimy enough despite are best intentions to wipe our feet.

If you ever get a leak the carpet would soak up the water like a sponge.

Kelvin
Old 01-25-2016, 11:04 AM   #65
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post

We also went to look at Home Depot Allure Ultra, a click together floor. Twice as thick and a box of 8 pieces felt very heavy. Being a floating floor it would require leaving a 1/8" to 1/4" gap to the adjacent cabinets.

The price per sq/ft was similar to Allure Ultra at about $3 sq/ft. For my job which should be about 160 sq/ft it should be about $500 for the material.

I'll have to remove the dinette/lounge and queen bed frames but from what I've read on these forums it just a matter of finding and removing the screws.

Now we just have to wait for warmer weather.

Kelvin
We laid down the Allure Ultra Coventry Oak click lock. No Gap. None of the claimed separation issues I see mentioned elsewhere. And I'm pretty sure our Airstream is getting A LOT of use.

I really don't have any good photos of the floor itself. Just these from installation.

We did do one unique thing and used the Allure stick down tiles in the bathroom.

Old 01-25-2016, 11:20 AM   #66
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I guess one the advantages of living in your Airstream is being able to keep the interior temperatures more constant. We went from the mid 50s one week to a few nights below 10F while my Airstream was in storage. Tough on the flooring.

I like the idea of a different look in the bath. We brought home a sample that had a darker wood finish. The sample looked good in living area/hall way but not in the bathroom.

Next we looked at a sheet flooring sample with a tile pattern with grout lines that picked up the colors off the wood grain cabinets, the Corian top and the stainless steel appliances but the first thing I told my wife it looks kinda SOBish. We may stick with the lighter wood colors in a LVT plank floor.

Kelvin
Old 01-25-2016, 12:02 PM   #67
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
I wasn't sold on the light color at first, but my wife sold me. It makes the trailer feel brighter inside. I think it reflects more light which helps with that feeling. Kind of how painting walls white has that effect sometimes. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Don't know how to better describe that.
Old 01-26-2016, 07:33 AM   #68
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Airstream Coach - Other
ancramdale , New York
Carpet is hard to clean,smells when damp,etc...when dry,i will paint the sub floor with epoxy paint..i found a piece of INFINITY luxury woven vinyl,8 by 10,i need to cover 5 by 10 ,for $190 on Ebay...a good thing because :Luxury does not sell to the general public,you have to find a dealer near you,and...is very very expensive...the one i really wanted cost $ 1400 for the same size,from the company,but i like the one i found on ebay,easy to install,easy to pick up if i have other leaks in the future(very likely)vent,a.c.fan.skylight,seems ,awning railing..etc..thank you for all ideas and suggestions..would not do any repairs without consulting the Forum...best M.V.
la nomade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 05:13 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
Yes, you would have to cut the material around walls and other penetrations. Be sure to leave the required gap that the installation instructions say to leave for each specific material. Laminates (glueless floors) especially need room to expand and contract (usually 1/4 inch). Shoe-mold or quarter-round molding is then nailed to the wall/ cabinet to cover the gap.
bvcg1, does this include the sofa? My sofa is bolted to the floor on top of the OEM vinyl. Oh, come to think about it, under the sofa is an inverter also screwed to the floor, would I cut around these? The company got really uncomfortable when I told them about the sofa bolted down on a floating floor and told me to go with sheet vinyl. I looked at it but said no.

Bold adventure, that Coventry Oak is great looking in your AS. The contrast with the walls is nice. I will have to go with something matching Tropical Oak cabinet color- a bit odd color, almost pickled but I will be looking for something AWAY from pickled yet matching. The white ash stuff in there is one color option, also, something with a bit of warm/gray which I found- a light oak with a bit of gray in it. I have dark gray counter.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:24 AM   #70
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
've seen floating floor installations that quit at the unseen back edge of the fold down access doors and carpeting left under the couch ()

Personally, my choice would be to drill a hole and use a washer slightly thicker than the flooring when reinstalling the couch. The washer OD size would be less than the couch footprint so it would not be exposed. That leaves room for expansion movement, it doesn't take much gap around the washer, and the legs are firmly attached without pinching the flooring.

Hmm. The installers are warning me to not lay the planks (floating) under the sofa. I don't know what to do.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:41 AM   #71
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Airstream installs furniture and cabinets over the "floating" sheet vinyl that is why my floor has buckled in several areas around cabinets and the dinette.

I've given up worrying about whether product A vs product B is suitable for RV use or warranty because there isn't anything made specifically for RV use.

I'm going with a 2.5mm LVT glued down floor and will probably take up my rear dinette, lounge and queen bed frames and remove the existing sheet flooring and then the installer will lay the floor. In the hallway and around the kitchen cabinets they will leave a small gap and fill in with a clear caulking. I don't want quarter round.

Kelvin
Old 01-29-2016, 08:21 AM   #72
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
bvcg1, does this include the sofa? My sofa is bolted to the floor on top of the OEM vinyl. Oh, come to think about it, under the sofa is an inverter also screwed to the floor, would I cut around these? The company got really uncomfortable when I told them about the sofa bolted down on a floating floor and told me to go with sheet vinyl. I looked at it but said no.

Bold adventure, that Coventry Oak is great looking in your AS. The contrast with the walls is nice. I will have to go with something matching Tropical Oak cabinet color- a bit odd color, almost pickled but I will be looking for something AWAY from pickled yet matching. The white ash stuff in there is one color option, also, something with a bit of warm/gray which I found- a light oak with a bit of gray in it. I have dark gray counter.
I would certainly remove the sofa, just as I would if I were installing this in my living room. The fact that it is bolted to the floor should be of no concern. Just remove the fasteners, remove the sofa, detach the inverter, and install complete. Some day you, or another owner may want to replace the sofa and would be limited by the flooring only going to the existing sofa.
bvcg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 10:04 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
KJRitchie, don't know what you have ended up with on flooring but I have settled on one that you mentioned in this thread- IVC. I discovered that the product is highly rated with lifetime warranty in homes and 10 year commercial. The wear layer is 22 mil. The product is constructed with PVC and fiberglass and is waterproof. It is also click-lock plank. It is known as Downs at Flooring America or Invincible at Carpet One and by two other names. Someone responded to your post by mentioning price- yes it is around $5 sq ft. I went to a different store and talked with installation. Basically they told me to make larger holes than needed in the tile when bolting the couch down and just put felt spacers in as well. In other words, you can still bolt down items on a floating floor- just allow some wiggle room.
Old 07-17-2016, 04:38 PM   #74
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Airstream installs furniture and cabinets over the "floating" sheet vinyl that is why my floor has buckled in several areas around cabinets and the dinette.

I've given up worrying about whether product A vs product B is suitable for RV use or warranty because there isn't anything made specifically for RV use.

I'm going with a 2.5mm LVT glued down floor and will probably take up my rear dinette, lounge and queen bed frames and remove the existing sheet flooring and then the installer will lay the floor. In the hallway and around the kitchen cabinets they will leave a small gap and fill in with a clear caulking. I don't want quarter round.

Kelvin
Just curious what flooring you ultimately decided upon? You have given it a lot of thought have done much investigation according to this thread.

After rolling back the linoleum to fix the subfloor because of a water leak, I have to install a new floor as the original linoleum shrank and has waves in it. I've tried to stretch it back into shape to no avail.

Thanks!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 10:41 AM   #75
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 24
St. Thomas , Ontario
I know people don't like carpet, but what about commercial grade 18"x18" carpet tiles with a rubber/vinyl backing. We have it in our office and people walk on it with wet and muddy boots and it cleans up OK and doesn't stink.
with 3.5L EcoBoost
crunch27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 10:06 PM   #76
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
San Antonio , Texas
I took out the carpet and linoleum. I am now in the process of finishing and using an epoxy sealer. It has been stained and expect to put polyurethane varnish on it. It's not perfect but now I can have peace of mind with water leaks. I have had several in one area and always where the rugs were. Now the rugs are gone. I also identified several possible areas that allowed water to enter the trailer.
Barbieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 10:07 PM   #77
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunch27 View Post
I know people don't like carpet, but what about commercial grade 18"x18" carpet tiles with a rubber/vinyl backing. We have it in our office and people walk on it with wet and muddy boots and it cleans up OK and doesn't stink.

The problem is under the carpet. The subfloor is plywood and that will absorb water that is allowed to sit around. That is one of the main reasons why I use a dehumidifier. What it costs to run one is nothing compared to repairing a rotted floor.
Barbieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 11:29 AM   #78
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
The problem is under the carpet. The subfloor is plywood and that will absorb water that is allowed to sit around.
Yes, I agree with you on the subfloor, the weak area of the trailer. The wood must be protected from water in and out. I chose to NOT take out Airstream's floor covering. I slit it in a T shape like the floor guy told me to do to check my subfloor then stapled it back in place and laid the planks over it. Not a perfect solution but I still have the side to side protection of the OEM and then the new floor that is waterproof BTW to protect from spills too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	floor.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	184.8 KB
ID:	276834