Old 01-28-2016, 11:41 AM   #71
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
Airstream installs furniture and cabinets over the "floating" sheet vinyl that is why my floor has buckled in several areas around cabinets and the dinette.

I've given up worrying about whether product A vs product B is suitable for RV use or warranty because there isn't anything made specifically for RV use.

I'm going with a 2.5mm LVT glued down floor and will probably take up my rear dinette, lounge and queen bed frames and remove the existing sheet flooring and then the installer will lay the floor. In the hallway and around the kitchen cabinets they will leave a small gap and fill in with a clear caulking. I don't want quarter round.

Kelvin

KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 08:21 AM   #72
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
bvcg1, does this include the sofa? My sofa is bolted to the floor on top of the OEM vinyl. Oh, come to think about it, under the sofa is an inverter also screwed to the floor, would I cut around these? The company got really uncomfortable when I told them about the sofa bolted down on a floating floor and told me to go with sheet vinyl. I looked at it but said no.

Bold adventure, that Coventry Oak is great looking in your AS. The contrast with the walls is nice. I will have to go with something matching Tropical Oak cabinet color- a bit odd color, almost pickled but I will be looking for something AWAY from pickled yet matching. The white ash stuff in there is one color option, also, something with a bit of warm/gray which I found- a light oak with a bit of gray in it. I have dark gray counter.
I would certainly remove the sofa, just as I would if I were installing this in my living room. The fact that it is bolted to the floor should be of no concern. Just remove the fasteners, remove the sofa, detach the inverter, and install complete. Some day you, or another owner may want to replace the sofa and would be limited by the flooring only going to the existing sofa.

Old 02-28-2016, 10:04 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
KJRitchie, don't know what you have ended up with on flooring but I have settled on one that you mentioned in this thread- IVC. I discovered that the product is highly rated with lifetime warranty in homes and 10 year commercial. The wear layer is 22 mil. The product is constructed with PVC and fiberglass and is waterproof. It is also click-lock plank. It is known as Downs at Flooring America or Invincible at Carpet One and by two other names. Someone responded to your post by mentioning price- yes it is around $5 sq ft. I went to a different store and talked with installation. Basically they told me to make larger holes than needed in the tile when bolting the couch down and just put felt spacers in as well. In other words, you can still bolt down items on a floating floor- just allow some wiggle room.
Old 07-17-2016, 04:38 PM   #74
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB International
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Airstream installs furniture and cabinets over the "floating" sheet vinyl that is why my floor has buckled in several areas around cabinets and the dinette.

I've given up worrying about whether product A vs product B is suitable for RV use or warranty because there isn't anything made specifically for RV use.

I'm going with a 2.5mm LVT glued down floor and will probably take up my rear dinette, lounge and queen bed frames and remove the existing sheet flooring and then the installer will lay the floor. In the hallway and around the kitchen cabinets they will leave a small gap and fill in with a clear caulking. I don't want quarter round.

Kelvin
Just curious what flooring you ultimately decided upon? You have given it a lot of thought have done much investigation according to this thread.

After rolling back the linoleum to fix the subfloor because of a water leak, I have to install a new floor as the original linoleum shrank and has waves in it. I've tried to stretch it back into shape to no avail.

Thanks!
Old 11-30-2016, 10:41 AM   #75
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 24
St. Thomas , Ontario
I know people don't like carpet, but what about commercial grade 18"x18" carpet tiles with a rubber/vinyl backing. We have it in our office and people walk on it with wet and muddy boots and it cleans up OK and doesn't stink.
with 3.5L EcoBoost
crunch27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 10:06 PM   #76
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
San Antonio , Texas
I took out the carpet and linoleum. I am now in the process of finishing and using an epoxy sealer. It has been stained and expect to put polyurethane varnish on it. It's not perfect but now I can have peace of mind with water leaks. I have had several in one area and always where the rugs were. Now the rugs are gone. I also identified several possible areas that allowed water to enter the trailer.
Old 12-17-2016, 10:07 PM   #77
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunch27 View Post
I know people don't like carpet, but what about commercial grade 18"x18" carpet tiles with a rubber/vinyl backing. We have it in our office and people walk on it with wet and muddy boots and it cleans up OK and doesn't stink.

The problem is under the carpet. The subfloor is plywood and that will absorb water that is allowed to sit around. That is one of the main reasons why I use a dehumidifier. What it costs to run one is nothing compared to repairing a rotted floor.
Old 12-18-2016, 11:29 AM   #78
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Quote:
The problem is under the carpet. The subfloor is plywood and that will absorb water that is allowed to sit around.
Yes, I agree with you on the subfloor, the weak area of the trailer. The wood must be protected from water in and out. I chose to NOT take out Airstream's floor covering. I slit it in a T shape like the floor guy told me to do to check my subfloor then stapled it back in place and laid the planks over it. Not a perfect solution but I still have the side to side protection of the OEM and then the new floor that is waterproof BTW to protect from spills too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	floor.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	184.8 KB
ID:	276834