Old 01-23-2016, 03:43 PM   #57
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
San Antonio , Texas
Don't do it. It's messy and you have to work fast before it sets. There is no reasonable need to use epoxy adhesive for this application. Often times epoxy and urethane adhesives are used in wet areas, such as a produce section at the grocery store. The premium latex adhesives that the manufacturer recommends is all you need. For what it's worth, I've been in the flooring industry for 30 years.

Old 01-24-2016, 08:23 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
I'm working with a local flooring company and after he explained the workflow of applying a floor with epoxy and once its down its difficult to remove or to repair we've decided against using epoxy.

Kelvin

KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 11:12 AM   #59
3 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
1990 29' Airstream 290
stanfordville , New York
have to replace my allure vinyl flooring,picked it up because there was water trapped between it and the sub-floor,found out when walking on it,its been freezing here in ny..it was like walking on sugar,had major leaks ,the fan the a.c. the awning railing,all this fall...in my 17ft safari sport...fixed the leaks(hopefully) now letting the floor dry till spring and wondering what to replace it with..something i can pick up if need be,did any of you look into luxury woven vinyl???have not checked the price yet ..i need something to buy 5ft wide by 12ft long to cut and fit my templet...???thanks M.V
Old 01-24-2016, 03:59 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
This is a new one, luxury woven vinyl. Looks like its used a lot in marine installations. Found these videos
https://youtu.be/T-s9hQMZhrA
https://youtu.be/_uw3QToULVM

I went to Infinity and they actually have a photo of an Airstream Classic with it installed.

There is a product guide you can download.

Infinity | Luxury Woven Vinyl - Contacts

Kelvin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Luxury Woven Airstream.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	241.9 KB
ID:	256252  
Old 01-24-2016, 04:39 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
I think luxury woven fabric would take more effort to keep clean than a vinyl after looking the Infinity video several times.

Kelvin
Old 01-25-2016, 08:08 AM   #62
3 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
1990 29' Airstream 290
stanfordville , New York
thank you Kelvin...i will most probably go with it,looks great, easy to install in my small Safari Sport...just me and my small dog ( min-pin)video is very helpful ....i will post a photo when done...M.V.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:51 AM   #63
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Holly Springs , Mississippi
Why do so few like carpet? I fitted some over a vinyl floor in my last RV and loved it--easy on the feet, warm, etc. ...but it did have to be vacuumed.

2016 FC 25' FB-Twin
2013 F-150 CrewCab 3.5 Ecoboost 4X4 3.55 Axles
Bob662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 10:15 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
We have carpet in the bedroom of our 2008 Classic 25fb. It looks a little dingy now. I couldn't imagine carpet through the rest of the trailer. We have a rug in the living area and a hall runner to add a little color and they get grimy enough despite are best intentions to wipe our feet.

If you ever get a leak the carpet would soak up the water like a sponge.

Kelvin
Old 01-25-2016, 12:04 PM   #65
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post

We also went to look at Home Depot Allure Ultra, a click together floor. Twice as thick and a box of 8 pieces felt very heavy. Being a floating floor it would require leaving a 1/8" to 1/4" gap to the adjacent cabinets.

The price per sq/ft was similar to Allure Ultra at about $3 sq/ft. For my job which should be about 160 sq/ft it should be about $500 for the material.

I'll have to remove the dinette/lounge and queen bed frames but from what I've read on these forums it just a matter of finding and removing the screws.

Now we just have to wait for warmer weather.

Kelvin
We laid down the Allure Ultra Coventry Oak click lock. No Gap. None of the claimed separation issues I see mentioned elsewhere. And I'm pretty sure our Airstream is getting A LOT of use.

I really don't have any good photos of the floor itself. Just these from installation.

We did do one unique thing and used the Allure stick down tiles in the bathroom.

Old 01-25-2016, 12:20 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
I guess one the advantages of living in your Airstream is being able to keep the interior temperatures more constant. We went from the mid 50s one week to a few nights below 10F while my Airstream was in storage. Tough on the flooring.

I like the idea of a different look in the bath. We brought home a sample that had a darker wood finish. The sample looked good in living area/hall way but not in the bathroom.

Next we looked at a sheet flooring sample with a tile pattern with grout lines that picked up the colors off the wood grain cabinets, the Corian top and the stainless steel appliances but the first thing I told my wife it looks kinda SOBish. We may stick with the lighter wood colors in a LVT plank floor.

Kelvin
Old 01-25-2016, 01:02 PM   #67
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
I wasn't sold on the light color at first, but my wife sold me. It makes the trailer feel brighter inside. I think it reflects more light which helps with that feeling. Kind of how painting walls white has that effect sometimes. \_(ツ)_/ Don't know how to better describe that.
Old 01-26-2016, 08:33 AM   #68
3 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
1990 29' Airstream 290
stanfordville , New York
Carpet is hard to clean,smells when damp,etc...when dry,i will paint the sub floor with epoxy paint..i found a piece of INFINITY luxury woven vinyl,8 by 10,i need to cover 5 by 10 ,for $190 on Ebay...a good thing because :Luxury does not sell to the general public,you have to find a dealer near you,and...is very very expensive...the one i really wanted cost $ 1400 for the same size,from the company,but i like the one i found on ebay,easy to install,easy to pick up if i have other leaks in the future(very likely)vent,a.c.fan.skylight,seems ,awning railing..etc..thank you for all ideas and suggestions..would not do any repairs without consulting the Forum...best M.V.
Old 01-28-2016, 06:13 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Quote:
Yes, you would have to cut the material around walls and other penetrations. Be sure to leave the required gap that the installation instructions say to leave for each specific material. Laminates (glueless floors) especially need room to expand and contract (usually 1/4 inch). Shoe-mold or quarter-round molding is then nailed to the wall/ cabinet to cover the gap.
bvcg1, does this include the sofa? My sofa is bolted to the floor on top of the OEM vinyl. Oh, come to think about it, under the sofa is an inverter also screwed to the floor, would I cut around these? The company got really uncomfortable when I told them about the sofa bolted down on a floating floor and told me to go with sheet vinyl. I looked at it but said no.

Bold adventure, that Coventry Oak is great looking in your AS. The contrast with the walls is nice. I will have to go with something matching Tropical Oak cabinet color- a bit odd color, almost pickled but I will be looking for something AWAY from pickled yet matching. The white ash stuff in there is one color option, also, something with a bit of warm/gray which I found- a light oak with a bit of gray in it. I have dark gray counter.
Old 01-28-2016, 06:24 AM   #70
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Quote:
've seen floating floor installations that quit at the unseen back edge of the fold down access doors and carpeting left under the couch ()

Personally, my choice would be to drill a hole and use a washer slightly thicker than the flooring when reinstalling the couch. The washer OD size would be less than the couch footprint so it would not be exposed. That leaves room for expansion movement, it doesn't take much gap around the washer, and the legs are firmly attached without pinching the flooring.

Hmm. The installers are warning me to not lay the planks (floating) under the sofa. I don't know what to do.