Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2005, 09:23 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Trim for pergo

I have a 65 globetrotter and am installing a pergo floor. My question is what to do about trim in front of the front goucho, the stove, and the furnace. The trim will be to high to open the doors. Also is it safe to lay the pergo over the asbestos 9x9 tiles?
Thanks
Lloyd
viners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 09:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

A couple of possibilities: Use silicone as a gap filler. Or use 1/2" X 3/4" quarter round, laid so that the long side is flat on the floor. Or mill some matching lumber to use to "bump out" the space under those tight areas, then butt the laminate right up against it.

I can think of no reason not to lay the laminate over the tile.

Good luck,

Mark
Old 03-14-2005, 09:45 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

I was thinking of using silicone in these tight areas but wonder how it will look with trim in some areas and not in others. Or would I use the silicone all around with no trim?
Thanks
Lloyd
Old 03-15-2005, 07:31 AM   #4
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
you could probably use the pergo "end molding"....its shaped like the letter "L", rotated 90 degrees. it only sticks up above the floor level by 1/8th or maybe 1/4 inch.

http://www.pergo.com/PergoDesign/US/...A-0-PM,00.html
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 07:37 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Another idea...

I've seen trailers with extruded aluminum molding trimming pergo. In your home, it could look wierd, but in a trailer, it looks pretty neat, creating a visual link from the shiny exterior to the floor.

It may be a bit industrial for some, but it really depends on what kind of look you are going for.

Mary
fireflyinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 07:58 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

When laying laminate flooring should you start on one side and work to the other, or start in the middle of the trailer and work to each side?
Thanks,
Lloyd
Old 03-17-2005, 06:33 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

I believe you will need to start laying laminate flooring on one side and work to the other instead of starting in the middle. I purchased pergo for my unit but haven't installed it yet; however, I put it in a bedroom in my house and had to start on one side and go to the other because of the way each piece locks into the other one.
I am trying to decide whether to remove the sofa and install the laminate under it or just lay it to the edge of the sofa. I am not sure the drawers under the sofa will pull out if I don't put the laminate under it.
Wayne
wayner1239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 06:47 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
We have quarter round oak as trim

My Father cut quarter round oak to trim out the Pergo in our Airstream and stained it to match the cabinets. I'm very happy with the look.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PergoTrim.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	11002  

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 09:22 AM   #9
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner1239
I believe you will need to start laying laminate flooring on one side and work to the other instead of starting in the middle.
Wayne

typically, yes, that's how you do it in a house. but there has to be a straight wall to start with, and there isn't one of those in an airstream. at least, not in mine! on the later models, as myboyburt posted, you might be able to do that, as the cabinets' face frames sit on the floor. so you could use that as a starting point. but my old 70's cabinets aren't really "cabinets"...and they sit on legs. not much is actually touching the floor. so you basically have to "wing it". I found the center line of the trailer and drew a reference mark on the subfloor, and went from that.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:36 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
Ditto... I just figured out the center line of the trailer and measured off of that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fl2-a.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	11154  

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 10:52 AM   #11
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneakinup
Ditto... I just figured out the center line of the trailer and measured off of that.

well, you know what they say about great minds thinking alike. or something like that.

say, a little bird told me that there was a camping event over the weekend in your neighborhood....how was it? sounded like fun....
Old 03-23-2005, 02:06 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
well, you know what they say about great minds thinking alike. or something like that.

say, a little bird told me that there was a camping event over the weekend in your neighborhood....how was it? sounded like fun....
Actually, yes, it was great, but too short... as most trips are.

Here it is...

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 05:52 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

I finally got around to installing laminate flooring in my unit. The hardest part was getting the old carpet out. I knew Airstream used a lot of rivets but didn't know they used so many staples to hold the carpet down.
On my unit, I was able to start at the entrance door and go across in a straight line. I also found that I could have started in the middle and worked to each side because the laminate can be installed either way (contrary to the instructions on mine) I like the laminate much better than the carpet.
I haven't done the trim yet but plan to cut small strips from oak flooring and make quarter round by either sanding or routing. That way I can make whatever size I need.
Information in this forum was very helpful to me.
Wayne
Old 04-03-2005, 06:13 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
...I haven't done the trim yet but plan to cut small strips from oak flooring and make quarter round by either sanding or routing...
Umm, if your flooring is laminated, your plan may not have the intended visual results. Quarter-round is cut from solid wood; Your flooring is probably laminated, and not thick enough to produce the look you would like to have.

But I may have missed something, and it certainly does not hurt to experiment on the scraps you were planning to throw away.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 06:45 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

I plan to make the quarter round from solid oak flooring - not laminate. (I could use 3/4 oak of any kind but happen to have some left over oak flooring) I can round over the edge with my router and then cut the trim to what size I need. Quarter round I have found in building supply stores is too large and will interfere with the lower cabinet doors and also the pull out drawer of the sofa.
Wayne
Old 04-04-2005, 07:21 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Quote:
Quarter round I have found in building supply stores is too large and will interfere with the lower cabinet doors and also the pull out drawer of the sofa.
Wayne
I had the same problem. I found 1/2" X 3/4" quarter round at Lowes and laid it with the long side flat.

Mark